U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 AM

2 posts, read 15,651 times

Advertisements

Hi,

If things go to plan Ill be transfering to Santa Monica.
I plan to be moving there in June, but have never been there before.

I have visiting San Fran before and I have friends there who have told me I would love LA, and in particular Santa Monica, however I need some advice.

As I will be based in Santa Monica, should I try and live there? I would want to live close by as I hate getting up in the mornings!

How much should I look at budgeting for rent. I have seen decent places for $1600 approx, but obviously I dont know if the area is decent or not.

Im sorry for the basic questions, but some initial guidence would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 AM

25 posts, read 121,088 times
how did you manage to get a place/transfer there

Old 04-04-2007, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 15,651 times
via the company I work for

Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 AM

14,612 posts, read 24,258,283 times
Santa Monica is a great place to live, especially if you are working there too. Since traffic in and out of Santa Monica is heavy, I would recommend it actually. Other options are Venice, Playa del Rey, Marina del Rey, or even El Segundo.

There are a few iffy areas of SM that you would want to avoid, and bear in mind that they have a huge homeless population. If you have a particular area in SM that you're looking at let us know and we can give you more info.

Will your company be arranging your moving expenses and/or footing your rent? I worked for an international company for several years and handled logistics among other things, and I know that they paid for the moves as well as the rental of the property for those individuals coming from abroad. If you have an allowance for rent, for example, then you could always throw in a few extra 100 $ of your own and get a really nice apartment.

Good luck with your new role in June, and if you have more specifics on a particular area or apartment let us know and we'll give you the 411.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 AM

644 posts, read 3,208,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba8mki View Post
Hi,

If things go to plan Ill be transfering to Santa Monica.
I plan to be moving there in June, but have never been there before.

I have visiting San Fran before and I have friends there who have told me I would love LA, and in particular Santa Monica, however I need some advice.

As I will be based in Santa Monica, should I try and live there? I would want to live close by as I hate getting up in the mornings!

How much should I look at budgeting for rent. I have seen decent places for $1600 approx, but obviously I dont know if the area is decent or not.

Im sorry for the basic questions, but some initial guidence would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
Matt,

Yes, Santa Monica is a great area. try to get an apartment there for sure. Check on craigslist.org to see what you can find. You can find some bargains in the area but plan to spend up to $2,000 on a 1-bedroom. Oftentimes, they want first and last month deposit as well!

Artie

Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 AM

283 posts, read 1,132,938 times
I checked into moving to SM myself before deciding on a place closer to work and I think you live just about anywhere in the city or close by heading north and east of town; the closer to LAX you get the easier it is to find ifie areas but still easy to find great ones as well for the ifie places are very limited. The cost are high in my opinion but comparable to most major metro areas in my experience. I personally liked the flats over third street prominade the best but found better deals that sometimes have more amenities in more more residential areas.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM

11 posts, read 86,119 times
You should be able to find a nice one-bedroom for $1600 (I did). The area bounded by Pico and Ocean Park and Lincoln and Santa Monica College is safe, and by Santa Monica standards, affordable. If possible, live closer to the ocean. Once you get east of 18th, the costs are still high, but the benefits of being able to walk to Main St. or the Promenade or the ocean decrease. Also stay away from the streets fronting highway 10 - fairly industrial and noisy. You can justify paying more for rent by thinking about how much you will save on gas and air-conditioning living in Santa Monica rather than elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles