Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

It's crazy to think of commuting from Lancaster to LAX. People who are willing to do that are the cause of much of our traffic problems. If you commute ten times farther away you are creating ten times worse traffic. All the people who are doing that are the cause of our traffic problems.

We wouldn't have nearly the traffic problem if people were a little bit more sensible in limiting their commutes. My personal limit is 30 minutes one way, but I prefer less. Anybody who is doing crazy commuting should either move closer to their job or get a job closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's crazy to think of commuting from Lancaster to LAX. People who are willing to do that are the cause of much of our traffic problems. If you commute ten times farther away you are creating ten times worse traffic. All the people who are doing that are the cause of our traffic problems.

We wouldn't have nearly the traffic problem if people were a little bit more sensible in limiting their commutes. My personal limit is 30 minutes one way, but I prefer less. Anybody who is doing crazy commuting should either move closer to their job or get a job closer to home.

It usually takes longer then that to drive the 12 miles from Burbank to Downtown.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:23 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
I take it you're looking for new construction, to take advantage of current programs. I like to advise on narrowing commutes rather than allowing long ones to be de facto, but I appreciate your motives and reasoning.

So between the two areas, Lancaster and Corona, I'd check out Corona first (or Riverside as close to Corona as possible just to be that much further down the 91 freeway). Fast Track is a toll road on the 91 that at least spares you the worst of the traffic in and out of the Inland Empire to Orange County. In Orange County traffic binds up again but the severity is unpredictable. You'd continue on the 91 to the 605, 710 or 110 to jog over to the 105, which will take you into LAX. Or find a street route once you're anywhere in the South Bay. I'd estimate your commute at 1.5 hours, going both ways in and out of IE--sometimes even less--if you have Fast Track.

There is new construction out there, but also nice homes at very, very, very low prices even without the incentives. Good luck. I know it's tough figuring this all out. (And I'd still encourage you to check out Gardena or Hawthorne.)

Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I think you'd be lookng at a 3+ hour commute everyday, in each direction. I knew someone who commuted from Hesperia to Burbank daily and his trip was around 3 hours each way though usually even longer on Friday afternoons.

I like the idea of buying in Phoenix too. Or you might try Las Vegas. It's only an hour flight from Vegas to LAX.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i've got this one beat. i know someone who works in my office who commutes to century from hemet 4 days a week. holy Moderator cut: language !!!!!!!!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-06-2009 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i've got this one beat. i know someone who works in my office who commutes to century from hemet 4 days a week. holy Moderator cut: language !!!!!!!!
That is absolutely ridiculous...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 PM

No matter how ridiculous it is there's somebody who commutes farther. I knew a guy who commuted from Simi Valley to Orange County. I don't know if that's farther, but it's about three times as far as I'd even remotely consider.

People who think like this are a major source of our traffic. I'm sure the traffic would be much much less if people kept their commutes to 30 minutes. I can't even conceive of being in my car two hours to get to work, and then repeating it in the evening. That's nuts!

I used to commute from Northridge to Palm Springs... but I went there on Monday morning and returned Friday afternoon. That was two hours each way, four hours a week, the same amount of time as commuting five days a week for 24 minutes each way. By the time I arrived at work Monday morning my commuting for the week was already half done!

People who are going to consider working 2 hours away from home should stay in a hotel 4 nights a week. Then it isn't crazy.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Thousand Oaks to Huntington Beach, 72 miles one way. I left at 5AM got there at 6:05 AM (and I was jogging to the potty when I got there.....) The boss let me leave in the early afternoon to beat traffic and telecommute for two hours at home. Took 90 minutes leaving at 12 or 1.

My tolerance metric for driving is "one bladder" distance.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 62,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No matter how ridiculous it is there's somebody who commutes farther. I knew a guy who commuted from Simi Valley to Orange County. I don't know if that's farther, but it's about three times as far as I'd even remotely consider.

People who think like this are a major source of our traffic. I'm sure the traffic would be much much less if people kept their commutes to 30 minutes. I can't even conceive of being in my car two hours to get to work, and then repeating it in the evening. That's nuts!

I used to commute from Northridge to Palm Springs... but I went there on Monday morning and returned Friday afternoon. That was two hours each way, four hours a week, the same amount of time as commuting five days a week for 24 minutes each way. By the time I arrived at work Monday morning my commuting for the week was already half done!

People who are going to consider working 2 hours away from home should stay in a hotel 4 nights a week. Then it isn't crazy.
Thanks to all who have replied. It's great to have others brainstorm on my behalf. The idea of a hotel is actually not very bad. If I calculate gas expenses and other factors into the equation I think a hotel is very thrifty. Perhaps a AAA membership is in my distant future so I can get discounts. Hmmmm.....

Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 PM

My commuting days from SFV to PS were powered by the best consulting salary I had ever gotten (at the time). It also helped that my employer/customer gave me a per diem to cover my hotel and meals. It largely paid for my hotel and meals, but recognizing that I paid a high personal price by having no life for 5 days a week. What's worse, I often worked Saturday and Sunday at home. I refer to my occupation as "electronic *****."

Please note that you can negotiate better rates than are commonly known if you offer the hotel/motel (1) repeat business week after week, and (2) only occupy the room from Monday night to Thursday night. Most hotels have high vacancy during the working week, then charge higher prices and have increased business Saturday and Sunday night.

You should talk to the hotel's manager and explain your situation, ask for a better deal. Remind him that you are asking other hotels too, and that you are more interested in a repeat deal rate than in any perq the hotel can offer. You're looking for just a bed and nothing else. Point out that they don't need to totally clean the room and change the sheets. Clean towels and tucking the bed are more than enough!

Don't try this at a hot sheet hotel!

I got a great rate from Days Inn on Palm Canyon in PS. Later my employer/customer negotiated a rate with the Hyatt in PS, and the employer even arranged to just pay Hyatt directly without my involvement. I had a pre-arranged reservation on the best floor (top) every week. Them's were good days!

I used to get my dinner "to go" from the top PS restaurants every day. I took my dinner back to my hotel and ate it there watching TV (vs. eating alone in a restaurant) and (not to cheap out) didn't even need to pay tips.

The secret to working out of town is to trim every expense to get the best possible deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles