Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose...Santa Barbara or Thousand Oaks?
Santa Barbara 16 55.17%
Thousand Oaks 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM

21 posts, read 71,827 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I need advice on what offer makes more sense?

My wife, child, and I we would be moving from Dallas, Texas.

One offer is in Santa Barbara and the other is in Thousand Oaks, and average starting pay is around $65,000.

The pay starting out is similar, but the Thousand Oaks offer provides for the possibility of making more money in the near term.

I am looking to determine what city is best for a young family, the opportunity for higher education (Santa Barabara has the edge possibly), and would be much more economical in renting an apartment or condo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
both are expensive, but TO is probably slightly more affordable. However, regardless of which of the two you chose, your will almost certainly need a second income from your wife.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
I've lived in both places (Isla Vista and TO)

I'd bet TO is quite a bit more affordable, plus it is very family oriented (I don't know that SB is not but I'm sure of it in TO).

TO is closer to other job opportunities: the Valley, Oxnard Plain, other places in the Conejo Valley, Simi, even Santa Monica with a drive

What can you rent for around $1800 in each town?

In TO you have California Lutheran University, Pepperdine's Westlake Campus (going on memory here), and there may be a satellite campus of CSUN or something.... There is also UCSB's Ventura Campus for CompSci and Computer Engineering (where I got started).

Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Thanks...BRinSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
both are expensive, but TO is probably slightly more affordable. However, regardless of which of the two you chose, your will almost certainly need a second income from your wife.

Thanks for the info...My wife will be attending school, so that will be tricky.

It looks like TO is more affordable than SB, but SB seems nicer.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Thanks...Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've lived in both places (Isla Vista and TO)

I'd bet TO is quite a bit more affordable, plus it is very family oriented (I don't know that SB is not but I'm sure of it in TO).

TO is closer to other job opportunities: the Valley, Oxnard Plain, other places in the Conejo Valley, Simi, even Santa Monica with a drive

What can you rent for around $1800 in each town?

In TO you have California Lutheran University, Pepperdine's Westlake Campus (going on memory here), and there may be a satellite campus of CSUN or something.... There is also UCSB's Ventura Campus for CompSci and Computer Engineering (where I got started).
Thanks Charles, it seems that TO has many options in regards to universities.

For $1800 you can find suitable housing, but not that suitable.

Where is Isla Vista?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
MKW

40 posts, read 160,332 times
Both are really great cities. SB is a little more expensive but don't let that fool you. TO is a great place to live. My husband and I lived there on one income while we were both in school and did fine. You may not be able to buy a home right away, but then again you might with the way things are looking these days. Also, if your job is in TO you have other options as well- you could check out Simi Valley, Moorpark, Camarillo and Newbury Park. All of those cities would probably be slightly less as far as housing goes. Maybe not NP. Good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 PM

419 posts, read 1,449,353 times
Think beyond this job offer: gigs in Santa Barbara are very difficult to score. TO offers more options work-wise, though is still considered a 'fringe' area to the greater LA basin, but offers access to the tech coast + Warner Center.

We have longed to live in SB, but the job opportunities are so few, we would have to have our own gig and/or do the traveling salesman bit - not ready for either line of work.

Consider Ventura as something in the middle that in between the two cost-wise, distance-wise, and family-friendly-wise.

Good luck.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
I voted for Santa Barbara for you, but honestly, Thousand Oaks might win out on some levels. Santa Barbara is a beautiful area, but it has its drawbacks:

1. Housing is very expensive.
2. Opportunities are limited - lose your job, another might not come around quickly, competition for jobs is stiff, and commuting to a job outside of the SB area is a pain-and-a-half.
3. You have a young family - Santa Barbara has a gang problem, rivalries fester in the schools and prove violent and fatal in the streets; keep a close watch on your kids.
4. Compact city, easy walking in many areas, good public transpo, bike commuting is encouraged.

Thoughts on Thousand Oaks:
1. Housing is also expensive, but opportunities for something affordable are more likely than in SB.
2. You'd be closer to job opportunities in L.A. if needed.
3. Crime is low and schools are very good.
4. It's car-culture, suburbia and sprawl, lousy public transpo.

Both cities offer edu opportunities: UCSB in SB. In TO you're close to Cal Lutheran and CSUCI.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:44 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trablus View Post
Where is Isla Vista?
Isla Vista is an unincorporated Santa Barbara County community directly adjacent to UCSB. The area is home to students and working class apartment dwellers.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,335,624 times
I'm an L.A. guy but S.B. is sure a lot nicer than T.O. on many levels. Culturally they are polar opposites. If you have the chance, go to both places and feel them out and decide which is for you.

The two things T.O. has going for it...cheaper housing and closer to the valley and L.A. and has honest hot summers if you like them.

Santa Barbara is a gorgeous town with cool, coastal weather, a beautiful walkable downtown and a nice culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles