Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:28 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,876 times

Advertisements

Okay, okay...I see my responsibility here...lol
Kid's don't try this at home!

Yes, let me a LOT MORE CLEAR about this. This is not the best way to get started in LA. My inquiry was more about what others think the best way is...now I'm here though, so maybe I should start a new thread.

Here's the rub...as they say.
Thanks for all my fans...You would be shocked at home much support this really is! Yes, there are TONS of people doing this. I say from my experiences the best way is a roommate. Why, if you sign a lease and don't like the neighborhood, or hood, you're stuck. Getting in a door get's you the chance to get to know someone who more than likely has connections and can help you out.

Doing what I did is not only considered stupid by most, and definitely ballsy, but can also cost you so much more than you realize. When I moved to Denver I had to sell about everything I owned that was worth anything. What could a wanderer like me own? Try six paintings, a 40" TV, 225 DVDS, 200 CD's the list goes on. I'm down to much of nothing. But I don't care, cause the experience in life TO ME is worth more.

What's important to you?

This can be a dangerous thing! Living on the street is not always safe. I have good common sense, and researched the area I park in well. Not to mention I notice it's patrolled regularly all night, and is a large road with width and heavily traveled at night, which would be about a car a minute or so, maybe at the latest part, every five minutes. I also asked the homeless guys out there what they thought. The sane ones. Their advice was invaluable. In other words, don't be He-Man if you don't have a sword!

I'm very cautious, I sleep with my alarm on and the parking brake on, should I nudge the transmission in the night. I check out every noise around me, and honestly, am sometimes scared. I don't carry a gun, but if I did, I wouldn't tell everyone. I'm not unprotected by any means. Not being sexist, but wouldn't recommend to ladies, as wimpy guys feel they have to attack ladies first, they are sometimes more a target than guys. I'm ex military, have tats, and don't appear to be an easy target. They see me run at night and know I'm in shape. I also provide a presence. I move my truck frequently.

The best way has been stated over and over on this forum. Save money, do research, have a job already (6 weeks without FT now) and plan for the worst, being prepared for the best...Now, will all the parents out there forgive me?

Should you be placed in my situation, where due to layoff I was going to be homeless in Denver or LA...and make the move...well more power to you. And look me up, we'll kick back a 99 cent green tea together!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-19-2009 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: No commenting on Mod activity -- and no new thread, unless it's substantially different from this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
Yes, let me a LOT MORE CLEAR about this. This is not the best way to get started in LA. My inquiry was more about what others think the best way is...now I'm here though, so maybe I should start a new thread.
Actually, this kind of on-going commentary is better suited to a blog, which you can access through your "My Settings" page.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,876 times
Haven't gotten into blogging yet...thanks though! Library computers are touchy!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 AM

51 posts, read 130,258 times
Ha ha ha dude. I'll give it to you man. It sounds like you are having a huge adventure. Obviously it's not the best, nor the easiest way to move to LA, but that's not the point in your case. You have the balls to do what I think, a lot of people wish they could. These are the kind of things you will never ever forget!! Also, you cound like a clever kind of guy, so you probably could be mindless corporate ant if you wanted to be? Or i could be wrong, and you are straight out daft. I don't know, but I am envious, it sounds like a interesting lifestyle. So, please so us a favour and DO start blogging, I would love to read some more about your adventures. Better yet, get hold of a camera and add some pics as well.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
So what happens with the rest of the hobo's and bum's that do this and put all of us on the hook to feed and house them?

Yay...go homeless!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was thinking the same thing and wondering why anyone would be jealous..

I do him credit for sticking with it and he is making the best of a bad situation, but certainly I can't say I am inspired. I am glad he came back to report. How many actually do this?

Nita
Jealous are the people like myself who are stuck in purgatory AKA: The Midwest

Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
So what happens with the rest of the hobo's and bum's that do this and put all of us on the hook to feed and house them?

Yay...go homeless!
This guy is not taking from the state so take a deep breath, he's merely living his life the way that best suites him at the moment. Just because the way he did it is not the big adult saving and planning "we are adults and have to have lots of money and security" way does not mean he's any less of a person.
Hard times call for hard measures and the people of CA, AZ, NV, TX OR, and other warm states are more than likely see more homeless until the recession is over. Homeless and laid off who have lost everything are moving to warmer states so they don't freeze to death this winter. I'm sure some of you would much rather them simply die off, but they want to live and will move to a warm place to preserve their life. Our paper had a write up interviewing the jobless who are being forced out of their homes and several stated moving west where it's warm is not out of the question. So get used to the "bums" they aint going anywhere.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,179 times
If I didnt have a kid thats were I would be, just backpacking around. Now Im tied down here in this cold state for a while and not liking it. Im too chicken to leave the job I have here with a kid to support. So for now we are just doing mini vacations, every month a new city or state for 6 days. July is FL, Tampa area, end of Aug is San Diego, mid Oct in LA, ecxited to check out Stuido City! While Im visiting a new place if I love it enough apply for a job, check out the schools and if its meant to be at the time, then it will fall into place. At least thats my way of trying to make it out of here by myself, with a 2yr old not in school. I will say Im envious of your way, I wish I could just pack my bag and jump in my car and drive...please keep updating its nice to know how you are doing

Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny2806 View Post
If I didnt have a kid thats were I would be, just backpacking around. Now Im tied down here in this cold state for a while and not liking it. Im too chicken to leave the job I have here with a kid to support. So for now we are just doing mini vacations, every month a new city or state for 6 days. July is FL, Tampa area, end of Aug is San Diego, mid Oct in LA, ecxited to check out Stuido City! While Im visiting a new place if I love it enough apply for a job, check out the schools and if its meant to be at the time, then it will fall into place. At least thats my way of trying to make it out of here by myself, with a 2yr old not in school. I will say Im envious of your way, I wish I could just pack my bag and jump in my car and drive...please keep updating its nice to know how you are doing
I'm single with no kids and now I wish I had started a family. Be thankful for your family It's a lonely road otherwise. Lots of time to think though

Old 06-26-2009, 05:58 PM

29 posts, read 82,906 times
this guy's living a dream. all power to you, Ghostgecko. Maintain that optimistic attitude and you'll be (continue) just fine. You're a rarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles