Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 AM

4 posts, read 14,139 times

Advertisements

I will be spending 4-5 days/wk in LA, commuting in weekly from SF. I am trying to figure out the best neighborhoods for a rental apartment search and would love to get some advice. My criteria below. Thanks!

- Rent @$1,000/mo, can go up by a bit if place is v desirable, I know that is tight since I'd prefer 1br place, although large studio might work
- 1 br ideal, spacious studio 2nd option, must have parking
- Under 30 min by reliable public transport to S Flower St in downtown
- SAFE neighborhood, stay away from rough neighborhoods at all costs
- Some charm walking distance - pedestrian friendly, coffee shops, family friendly, bookstores, nice & friendly crowd
- Not too far commute-wise from either Burbank airport or LAX
- Not east of city - I hear the beach is quite a ways so assuming not practical to be close to ocean although I'd love it
- Nice to have: views, greenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:52 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
How long of a lease are you willing to sign?

If you are looking for a month to month place, I'd check the "Extended Stay" places but they are going to run more than what you are hoping to spend.

Also, you need to pick: Burbank or LAX. They are actually pretty far apart with traffic.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,642 times
Live in Burbank

Old 05-10-2009, 01:23 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I'd look into Los Feliz. It has charm, is pedestrian friendly, safe, on the Red Line for a fast ride downtown, has a nice bookstore, cafes, etc. It's near Burbank airport, or if you want LAX you can just take the Red Line to Union Station and then get on the Flyaway bus. It's greener than some areas, and near Griffith Park. I think there are some places available for your price range, probably either small 1-BRs (if lucky) but more likely the studio. Still, the location is great, and I think it sounds like a good fit.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 AM

Uh, guys? There is this request:

"Under 30 min by reliable public transport to S Flower St in downtown"

That's a tough one.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 AM

4 posts, read 14,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
How long of a lease are you willing to sign?

If you are looking for a month to month place, I'd check the "Extended Stay" places but they are going to run more than what you are hoping to spend.

Also, you need to pick: Burbank or LAX. They are actually pretty far apart with traffic.
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Lease: I'd look for either month-to-month or 6 month lease max.
Airport: I can use either, looks like Burbank is preferable since most desirable areas seem to be north/west of downtown....

Is <30 min by subway/bus/rail not feasible from places like Los Feliz?

Please let me know of additional areas, and I will look up Los Feliz.

Btw my employer can also pay for free parking in downtown in lieu of public transportation costs, but I'm wary of driving in/out of downtown every day...pl advice.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
Quote:
Uh, guys? There is this request:

"Under 30 min by reliable public transport to S Flower St in downtown"

That's a tough one.
Miracle Mile...the areas between Fairfax/La Brea and Wilshire/San Vicente. From Fairfax, 720 or 728 bus don't take more than 30min to reach East LA or Union Station, respectively (their terminuses).

Old 05-10-2009, 02:36 AM

Union Station is at least 15 minutes from S. Flower St.

So, you got something else?

Los Feliz had no rail so you are looking at bus lines.

All rail lines go into Union Station so you can figure out where you have to go from there.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:39 AM

With your restrictions, I think you need to rent downtown. $1500 a month, year lease. Cough it up! Oh, and parking is 10 miles away!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:11 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,697 times
Quote:
Union Station is at least 15 minutes from S. Flower St.

So, you got something else?

Los Feliz had no rail so you are looking at bus lines.

All rail lines go into Union Station so you can figure out where you have to go from there.
I know its at least 15 minutes from there. By saying its 15min from there, it means she should definitely make it there <30min.

Its even less if she decides to go the train route ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles