Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times

Advertisements

I can't criticize the place, they are clean, efficient, and packed with people who love the food. If you don't like something, and it happens, send it back. I have traveled to many foreign cities and I will tell you, if I saw In-N-Out in any one of them I would think I was in paradise.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:29 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,569 times
Might be of interest to both the fans and detractors:

"This Sunday, two of California's finest will team up for one fantastic hour — Huell Howser receives exclusive behind-the-scenes access to all things In-N-Out Burger. This one-hour special of California’s Gold (set to air on KCET Sunday, January 31 at 7 PM) marks the first time In-N-Out Burger has ever allowed cameras in their stores or at the headquarters in Baldwin Park."

A Very Special In-N-Out Trip - Huell Howser

KCET, Los Angeles 1/31 at 7PM & 2/13 at 7PM
KVIE, Sacramento 2/4 at 8PM
KVPT, Fresno 2/4 at 8PM & 2/21 at 6PM
KVCR, San Bernadino (sic) 2/4 at 8PM
KPBS, San Diego 2/4 at 8PM

The above schedule taken from: Huell Howser Productions

These programs are repeated endlessly on the subchannels so don't worry if you miss the original broadcast.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 01-29-2010 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: added additional listings

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM

157 posts, read 477,738 times
I went to one during a visit and found myself searching for another in every town I went to. I'm not a fast food junkie by any means but they are awesome in my book. I wish we had them down here in Orlando, Fl. The only thing that comes real close here is Five Guys burgers & fries.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed. But to say that in public almost seems blasphemous.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Over a year later, and I've given it a vigorous chance to impress me. It has not. I stand by my initial preferences.

I did discover that I have to basically customize everything to make it suitable for my taste, and even then it doesn't surpass others.

The fries are not a matter of how long they've been cooking. I tried well done and honestly, I don't understand how people can eat crunchy fries. Fries are not meant to be crunchy; if you want crunch, buy chips. Fries should be lightly golden, lightly salted, warm, and just soft enough...go to Del Taco and order their fries to see how it's done. I see they're fresh cut, I see they're made fresh...they just don't taste good. Now maybe that's about the oil they cook it in, I don't know. But it tastes terrible, and doesn't stay warm long enough. Mind you, I'm a 5 minute drive to the In-N-Out and it still gets cold. Animal Fries helps, Cheese Fries helps, but I shouldn't have to modify them to make them edible.

The burgers...oh my, the burgers. One time they were pink and raw in the middle. The patties are thin as hell - just as thin as McDonalds' cheeseburger, at 4 times the cost, mind you - and I had to force them to do well done to make it edible. But the point is, it's tiny. If I want a tiny burger I go to McD's and pay a dollar. Compare that to McDonald's Angus which is the same price as In-N-Out's Double Double, and the Angus wins out in flavor, size, and juiciness. Cheeburger Cheeburger's burgers also smoke In-N-Out, as do Sonic's burgers. All of the other fast food joints have better sized burgers. There's just no competition.

Look, I understand that you guys like the cleanliness of the places, the bubbly attitudes of the employees, the freshness of the prep and the simplicity of the menu. That's great and all, but I care about the taste of the food and the size of the portions for the money I'm paying. In that arena they fail by a wide margin. It's not about seeing them use fresh toppings if all you want on your burger is cheese, meat and sauce - that means the meat has to be outstanding, and theirs isn't.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I care about the taste of the food
Then why would you bother with fast food? Cook for yourself.

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 01-30-2010 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Then why would you bother with fast food? Cook for yourself.
First off, that's a copout response. Second, no matter how good a cook one might be, and yes, I am a decent cook, it'll never have the same flavor as a prepared restaurant. You also don't have access to the same accessories that they do - Sonic's Texas Toast, for example.

The bottom line is, prepared food should be tasty, and priced fairly for the portion. I've got no issue with In-N-Out's prices, all I'm saying is that I think some people here like all of the vegetables on the burger, and they're saying that those help the burger taste good. IF a person wants a burger with cheese, meat and sauce, that's how you assess a good burger - if I don't need ANY vegetables to mask the meat in any way, the meat had better be amazing.

The question is whether they're overrated. I find them to be severely overrated, by people who really haven't tasted what a burger is supposed to be like. My guess is that a lot of these folks are West Coast natives and have never eaten A&W, Whataburger, World Burger, East Coast Sonic, and other places that understand that the meat is what matters, not toppings.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,655 times
eh everyone has there own opinion. I don't even eat meat so I have no stake in this. I just have the grilled cheese, animal style fries, jalepeno packet, and neopolitan milkshake.... then I am happen. I only have it once and a while though, cuz that is a killer meal!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 AM

364 posts, read 991,228 times
For all those that can't stand In 'n Out, I say "good!"

Maybe the lines won't be as long now.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 AM

339 posts, read 777,732 times
I wish we had Steak 'N Shake out West....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles