Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,413 times

Advertisements

At least this thread was started properly by stating it's sacreligiousness. I don't consider In N Out Fast Food.

It's not healthy, but it's certainly a cut above any other fast food burger IMO.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:39 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
I apologize in advance for the sacrilege.

When I told people I was moving here, many of them said "Oh! You HAVE to go to In-N-Out!" When I tell people that I now live here, In-N-Out is one of the first things they mention. And of course, whenever you drive by, there is a line snaking out of the parking lot into the street. There's an article in today's LA Times referring to In-N-Out as "perfection."

So I went, hoping for this amazing experience. And I got:

A cheeseburger that basically tastes like a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Fries that, while I appreciate they're made from real potatoes, were dry and unremarkable.

A Coke that was fine.

I know, sometimes a restaurant can have an off day. So I went back to the In-N-Out in my neighborhood several times. And I went to several different locations in other parts of town. I really wanted to give it a chance. But I had pretty much the same experience every time. I think I'm done trying.

I know, I know: In-N-Out is homegrown. They butcher and deliver their own meat, bake their own buns, slice their own fries. They apparently pay their employees a very good wage and have generous incentives for top managers. That's great. They sound like a good corporation.

But the food itself? Eh. For fast food, frankly, I prefer Wendy's or Burger King.

I know that many here will find this appalling. I'm sorry. I'm just wondering if there are others out there who don't understand the In-N-Out worship.
Couldn't agree more. I tried In-N-Out a couple of times and haven't been back in at least 5 years. Other fast food places (except for McDonalds which I haven't been to in 10 years) are better.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I like In N Out but it's not that great. I'd rather eat at Jack in the Box or Carl's Jr.
Since we're talking about other burger places, I'll give credit to Burger King and their Whopper series of burgers. Perfect when there's no INO around...

Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 PM

215 posts, read 1,534,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Interesting you think the fries were dry, I have heard many say they are undercooked and tasteless, but not dry. I am not crazy over them either. As for Fuddruckers again you have to consider a couple of things. they are franchise owned, different from In and Out so the quality often depends on the location. In and OUt are usually pretty consisitant. I have had good Fuddruckers and bad. The last 2 we ate at, one in ABQ and one in Texas had really gone down hill. The other thing, price, we are not comparing a $1.75hamburger with a $5.00 one, we are talking chains with basic burgers under $2.00 which are few and far between, especially with all fresh ingredients and not the chopped stuff that sits around from day to day.

Nita
In and out is OK at best , so is FAT Burger.

The best burger i have ever had was at the Twisted Root in Dallas, Tx.
Look it up!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
In and out is OK at best , so is FAT Burger.

The best burger i have ever had was at the Twisted Root in Dallas, Tx.
Look it up!
For those prices, they better be...!

Another place that I've heard is good (but never had the chance to visit), is Five Guys.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
For the OC'ers: try Knowlwood.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
So I went, hoping for this amazing experience. And I got:

A hamburger that basically tastes like a McDonald's hamburger but too dry.
Quote:
well if you got a hamburger that tastes anything like Micky Ds you must have been at a restaurant trying to impersonate In&Out. Whether you like them or hate them they are not even similar to Micky Ds...

In&Out tastes nothing like Micky Ds. They use fresh meat, large pieces of onions either raw or grilled, depending on which you want, a sause that is nothing like Micky Ds sause and have a lot more lettuce and tomato. You may not like them, as I have said, but anyone that compares them with Micky Ds doesn't have very sophisticated or developed taste buds.
i agree with nita, especially the last sentence.

it's one thing to not like in-n-out; taste is subjective, of course.

but i've noticed that a lot of the complaints about in-n-out arise from the burger not adhering to that person's preferred style and preparation method.

many people have a very specific way they prefer their burgers - some like them thick and charbroiled; others prefer thin patties that have been cooked on an electric griddle; a few vouch for sliders (mini-burgers); and a handful may even like steamed burgers. people have a similar level of fussiness when it comes to the buns (soft or crusty? seeded or not?), produce (grilled or raw onions? pickles or not?), condiments/spreads, etc.

some of us can enjoy all of these preparation styles - if it's good, it's good. but others can't enjoy a burger that doesn't meet their very specific expectations of what a burger is "supposed" to look and taste like. a person who only enjoys thick, steakhouse-style burgers may not enjoy any griddle-fried burger, even if it's the best in the world, simply because it's not what he was expecting.

with all that said, i really have to wonder about anyone who thinks the high quality of in-n-out is even remotely comparable with mcdonald's. you may not like in-n-out, but you have to at least give them credit for fresh food (unthinkable at most fast food chains) at very reasonable prices. OTOH, mcdonald's is typical processed/reheated/chemical-injected fast food junk made with subpar ingredients (read "fast food nation" by eric schlosser if you don't believe me). the only thing that's actually decent there are the fries.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
but anyone that compares them with Micky Ds doesn't have very sophisticated or developed taste buds.
Or they ordered their food from a crappy store. I suggest the McDonald's guy try another location.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
The worst part is they do not have a large variety of choices either. It's like 3 different types of burgers and that's it.
That's the whole concept of the place, the K.I.S.S. principle. Why don't you get that?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
It sucks. I want something other than just 3 choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles