U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM

47 posts, read 181,136 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving out of Downtown at the end of August and want to move west (she works in Westwood, I go to USC). I'd prefer to drive a longer distance two days a week rather than have her drive a long distance every day.

$1,800 is what we're paying now, and is too much. We'd prefer something closer to $1,300-$1,500. We liked the Marina Del Rey area, but finding apartments for us and our two dogs for less than $2,000 is a bit difficult.

Can anyone give us some pointers on good areas vs. bad areas in the Culver/Palms/Mar Vista areas? What are the safer spots, what are the shadier spots?

We were pretty keen on WeHo as well. Any chance we'll find apartments in that price range up there? Same info with them - Good/shady areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 PM

52 posts, read 188,226 times
With those areas you chose I wouldn't be so worried about "bad areas" since you've been living downtown. Palms area and the Culver City area closer to Venice is rather nice and you can get a 2 bedroom in your range. The only area I would probably avoid would be the more eastern side of Culver City / Palms, although that is debatable, and there is an area where there are a bunch of projects around Mar Vista Gardens? I can't remember the exact name.
I live in Palms, work near Crenshaw & Jefferson. That takes me about 12 minutes to commute. Its probably another 10-15 to USC. During rush hour it can take me about 30 minutes to get to UCLA because traffic is slow. You can easily catch a bus from Culver City / Palms to Westwood. In 2010 they are supposed to finish the rail line that goes from Culver City, follows Jefferson, then down Exposition into downtown. That would mean in a year or so you can just take the train to USC from Culver City.
There is a nice bike trail along the river that dumps you into Marina Del Ray and the beach (no traffic and dog friendly). Palms is only about 41/2 miles from the beach so its easily bikeable. The downtown part of Culver City is nice. Kind of yuppie but very safe. I really don't see you having any problems with any of these areas unless you just don't like living there.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM

122 posts, read 513,551 times
My personal preference would be for Culver City, it has a great bus system. Your wife can take the #1 directly to UCLA, and usually the commute to USC isn't that bad. I've known people who worked at USC and would take Adams for most of their commute (coming from central Culver City).

Old 05-11-2009, 01:34 PM

122 posts, read 513,551 times
I'm sorry, with regard to my last post, it's actually the #6 on the Culver City Greenline that goes directly to UCLA. Also, with regard to the Adams comment, it always seemed to me when pulling out on Adams (when I lived near the Fairfax/Adams intersection) that Eastbound traffic on Adams was pretty light (though I was always going the opposite direction). I would consider Culver City's location to be ideal.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 12,730 times
Have spent a lot of time in the Palms area, whenever my lady friend is out of town I go live in her apt to care for the cat.
It's a great area, but I think the rent is going up there. Nice people, very upscale and the Santa Monica Bus is one of the best in the country. The buses are always clean and the drivers are friendly.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:23 AM

48 posts, read 176,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin5 View Post
I'm sorry, with regard to my last post, it's actually the #6 on the Culver City Greenline that goes directly to UCLA. Also, with regard to the Adams comment, it always seemed to me when pulling out on Adams (when I lived near the Fairfax/Adams intersection) that Eastbound traffic on Adams was pretty light (though I was always going the opposite direction). I would consider Culver City's location to be ideal.
CC was actually built in its location because it was so great.

So yeah I say CC all the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles