Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:43 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times

Advertisements

it def. comes down to commute time. but DTLA would be better for the higher end activities. dinning, entertainment, etc. but dont forget, all that is only a drive/train ride away from LBC.

i think LB is the winner here.

but it is ok to be in DTLA after dark, even by yourself.

there is more and more life there. 7th streets is getting busier and busier. normally i would alsways choose downtown, but considering job location, go for LBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 04:20 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSwan View Post
My small experience staying here so far suggests that I would have an easier time meeting available professional woman if I lived in LA than Belmont Shore. Don't know for sure.
this is probably the case since belmont shore has a rather large college student population. there is also quite a large lesbian population in long beach as well. however, downtown LA also has quite a few students from USC.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
this is probably the case since belmont shore has a rather large college student population. there is also quite a large lesbian population in long beach as well. however, downtown LA also has quite a few students from USC.
Lots of opportunity to meet a professional woman in Long Beach. There is a something for everyone.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times
As a former downtown LA resident, let me throw in the "good points" about South Park in downtown LA. First of all, the South Park area of downtown is VERY SAFE. The "sketchy" part of downtown is really skid row which is quite removed from So. Park. Second, no doubt you have much greater access to cultural/art scenes in downtown than in belmont shores/long beach. And while So. Park is a "new" part of downtown you are not far from some very diverse and historic districts.

That said, So. Park is NOT an active walking district as other more fully revitalized areas of So. Calif. like Pasadena, Santa Monica, etc. In due time it will get there but it's still a work in progress...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Long Beach has its own cultural/art scene, and it's not like LA has anything really special to begin with

Old 05-12-2009, 05:40 PM

171 posts, read 581,994 times
Ummm...I think youre getting the somewhat the wrong view of Belmont Shores.

My wife and I have lived in Belmont Shores for 4 years now. We rent an apartment one block from 2nd Street (we're in our late 20s).

First of all, there is definitely crime here. My car has been broken into twice in the past year. My neighbors house was broken into (while they were home), and there were two attempted break-ins to our apartment over the past 4 years. And we live in a supposedly "nice" area of the shores (like a said, one block from the shops/restaurants of 2nd street). It's definitely not crime-riddled like South Central, but I think people's quote of "safe 24/7" is definitely misleading.

There are two things that get really old, real fast: 1) Parking. If you do not have a garage, expect to have problems with parking. Also, I hope you dont have a nice car....if so, expect numerous "bumper dings". 2) The college party mentality. There is a very large college student population in the area. Lots of parties, lots of noise...esp the closer you get to 2nd street.

Also, one more thing - I dont consider BS a "beach" community, per se. Sure it's by the ocean, but youre within the breakwater so the beach here sucks pretty badly usually. If youre looking for more a beach lifestyle, I'd check out Seal Beach. If I could do it all over again, I'd pick Seal Beach over Belmont Shores.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:21 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
Ummm...I think youre getting the somewhat the wrong view of Belmont Shores.

My wife and I have lived in Belmont Shores for 4 years now. We rent an apartment one block from 2nd Street (we're in our late 20s).

First of all, there is definitely crime here. My car has been broken into twice in the past year. My neighbors house was broken into (while they were home), and there were two attempted break-ins to our apartment over the past 4 years. And we live in a supposedly "nice" area of the shores (like a said, one block from the shops/restaurants of 2nd street). It's definitely not crime-riddled like South Central, but I think people's quote of "safe 24/7" is definitely misleading.

There are two things that get really old, real fast: 1) Parking. If you do not have a garage, expect to have problems with parking. Also, I hope you dont have a nice car....if so, expect numerous "bumper dings". 2) The college party mentality. There is a very large college student population in the area. Lots of parties, lots of noise...esp the closer you get to 2nd street.

Also, one more thing - I dont consider BS a "beach" community, per se. Sure it's by the ocean, but youre within the breakwater so the beach here sucks pretty badly usually. If youre looking for more a beach lifestyle, I'd check out Seal Beach. If I could do it all over again, I'd pick Seal Beach over Belmont Shores.
sorry you've had a bad experience in the shore. though interesting you haven't moved to seal in 4 years since it's only about a mile away.

even given your anecdotes about crime, i think you be hard pressed to find many people who think belmont shore isn't safe. Like any beach community parking is tough and you do have auto break ins from time to time (mostly south of 2nd) with so many cars on the street. That said, it's one of the safer places in southern california and if you get a garage parking is not so bad. also some streets are better than others for parking. It's actually quite easy to park on most of the north of 2nd side.

as far as the beach goes, it sucks for surfing obviously. But many people enjoy the kayaking, rowing, and swimming in the bay along the peninsula. with all the yacht clubs, boats, etc. I think of LB as more nautical than beachy in some respects. The sabot was invented in Naples. just a bit of trivia

Last edited by NaplesRes; 05-12-2009 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles