Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 48,370 times

Advertisements

Although they are two very different areas, I am having trouble deciding on the best place to relocate to. I've narrowed down my lease preferences to Belmont Shore, Long Beach and Downtown LA (South Park).

Since I am staying in the area during a housing search this week, I've become familiar with Belmont Shore. However, I am not very familiar with what is like to live in Downtown LA and the crowd that lives there (urban professionals? students? artists?). Therefore I want to know more about what it is like to live Downtown, specifically in South Park. There a number of relatively affordable lofts available in the South Park area that have a NYC-feel but I wonder about the lifestyle and the pros & cons of living there.

The stats: Relocating to SoCal in a few weeks for a company in Buena Park, just north of I-5. Currently living in NYC and grew up on LI. Late 30s, professional, newly single, no kids. I am looking for a place with walkable amenities and a diverse social scene (upscale lounges, pubs, hi-end restaurants, casual dining, etc.). Downtown is definitely being developed and has places like LA Live, but I still get the sense most stores and restaurants close early since it is really more of a business area.

The commute will be likely be easier from Belmont Shore (25-30 min), but the reverse commute from South Park on paper doesn't look that bad either (30-35 min?). Ironically when I tried both commutes, the travel to/from South Park was faster (it was during a weekend, however).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM

916 posts, read 3,699,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSwan View Post
Although they are two very different areas, I am having trouble deciding on the best place to relocate to. I've narrowed down my lease preferences to Belmont Shore, Long Beach and Downtown LA (South Park).

Since I am staying in the area during a housing search this week, I've become familiar with Belmont Shore. However, I am not very familiar with what is like to live in Downtown LA and the crowd that lives there (urban professionals? students? artists?). Therefore I want to know more about what it is like to live Downtown, specifically in South Park. There a number of relatively affordable lofts available in the South Park area that have a NYC-feel but I wonder about the lifestyle and the pros & cons of living there.

The stats: Relocating to SoCal in a few weeks for a company in Buena Park, just north of I-5. Currently living in NYC and grew up on LI. Late 30s, professional, newly single, no kids. I am looking for a place with walkable amenities and a diverse social scene (upscale lounges, pubs, hi-end restaurants, casual dining, etc.). Downtown is definitely being developed and has places like LA Live, but I still get the sense most stores and restaurants close early since it is really more of a business area.

The commute will be likely be easier from Belmont Shore (25-30 min), but the reverse commute from South Park on paper doesn't look that bad either (30-35 min?). Ironically when I tried both commutes, the travel to/from South Park was faster (it was during a weekend, however).

Thanks in advance!
I can't imagine why you would live in downtown LA over belmont shore. The easier commute makes it even more of a no brainer.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
i wouldn't live in either location, just too far for me. have you considered fullerton? there is a nice little downtown in fullerton since it appears you are looking for a more walkable neighborhood. it is also much closer to buena park, just a straight shot down the 91.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
There is no real reverse commute from LA that I'm aware of, especially when you have to pass through the East LA interchange.

But if you want a difference, Belmont Shore is safe 24/7 along main thoroughfares. I would not want to be outside after dark in any Downtown LA area without a few friends, and in some parts not at all.

Also, you'll likely save a ton of money living in LB over LA.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:43 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Belmont Shore, definitely. If you had a nice commute on the 5 while you were here, count your blessings.

I agree with BRinSM - check out Fullerton too.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Great to see some of the outstanding people who were so helpful in getting me to take a close look at Long Beach! Would not have even considered it otherwise. Belmont Shore/Heights and Downtown are truly gems. Thanks for all the responses.

Hi NaplesRes. I only thought about DNLA this weekend when I saw some lofts being advertised at cut rate prices. I went this Sunday to check some out. I was impressed by the area, but not sure how true of a picture it was since it was during a weekend and couldn't get a clear idea of the area residents. Obviously the streets were relatively empty compared to 2nd Street Belmont Shore (which was kicking this weekend). For the rentals I was deciding on between the two areas, the rent was actually cheaper in the Downtown loft I liked and the commute "seems" about the same. Since I am much more of an urbanite than a beach person, I thought why not. Having a difficult time deciding.

Hey bhcompy. For what I am looking for (upgraded 2/1+ around $2000/month), I actually found the lease prices to be relatively similar and DNLA lofts will be much newer of course when compared to the charm (and age) of Belmont Shore housing. When I tried trial run commutes from Belmont Shore and DNLA to Buena Park, the DNLA commute was actually quicker by 5-10 minutes (again, on a Sunday). This morning, the SigAlert showed signs of some type of reverse commute on the I-5 but obviously that's not the same as actually doing that drive everyday. If the actual daily commute from DNLA is longer than the 30-35 minutes I found, that would likely be a deal-killer.

Excellent point about Belmont Shore being safe 24/7. Definitely a plus in favor of BS-LB and a concern I have about DNLA.

BRinSM and timelesschild, for me one of the primary strengthes of SoCal living are the coastal beaches and the culture of LA so I did not seriously consider the inland areas of OC. Since I am moving my entire life here, I am willingly to move to the area's strength even if I'm not a beach/boating person. Either I was going to be on the coast or in LA. Also, feedback from colleagues and posters here suggested that Fullerton (and Irvine and Yorba Linda, for that matter) were better suited for families. Coincidentally, I was already planning to visit Fullerton today to check it out so we'll see if my opinion changes. My small experience staying here so far suggests that I would have an easier time meeting available professional woman if I lived in LA than Belmont Shore. Don't know for sure.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,642 times
The shorter the commute the better.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Great to see some of the outstanding people who were so helpful in getting me to take a close look at Long Beach! Would not have even considered it otherwise. Belmont Shore/Heights and Downtown are truly gems. Thanks for all the responses.

Hi NaplesRes. I only thought about DNLA this weekend when I saw some lofts being advertised at cut rate prices. I went this Sunday to check some out. I was impressed by the area, but not sure how true of a picture it was since it was during a weekend and couldn't get a clear idea of the area residents. Obviously the streets were relatively empty compared to 2nd Street Belmont Shore (which was kicking this weekend). For the rentals I was deciding on between the two areas, the rent was actually cheaper in the Downtown loft I liked and the commute "seems" about the same. Since I am much more of an urbanite than a beach person, I thought why not. Having a difficult time deciding.

Hey bhcompy. For what I am looking for (upgraded 2/1+ around $2000/month), I actually found the lease prices to be relatively similar and DNLA lofts will be much newer of course when compared to the charm (and age) of Belmont Shore housing. When I tried trial run commutes from Belmont Shore and DNLA to Buena Park, the DNLA commute was actually quicker by 5-10 minutes (again, on a Sunday). This morning, the SigAlert showed signs of some type of reverse commute on the I-5 but obviously that's not the same as actually doing that drive everyday. If the actual daily commute from DNLA is longer than the 30-35 minutes I found, that would likely be a deal-killer.

Excellent point about Belmont Shore being safe 24/7. Definitely a plus in favor of BS-LB and a concern I have about DNLA.

BRinSM and timelesschild, for me one of the primary strengthes of SoCal living are the coastal beaches and the culture of LA so I did not seriously consider the inland areas of OC. Since I am moving my entire life here, I am willingly to move to the area's strength even if I'm not a beach/boating person. Either I was going to be on the coast or in LA. Also, feedback from colleagues and posters here suggested that Fullerton (and Irvine and Yorba Linda, for that matter) were better suited for families. Coincidentally, I was already planning to visit Fullerton today to check it out so we'll see if my opinion changes. My small experience staying here so far suggests that I would have an easier time meeting available professional woman if I lived in LA than Belmont Shore. Don't know for sure.
If you want a more urban experience check out the lofts in downtown long beach. It's more lively, better than downtown LA anyway.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM

I didn't see any of the lofts in downtown long beach, but I did see about a half dozen properties in the high rises along Ocean Blvd. One 2/2 is my back up in case I can't find something I like in Belmont Shores or DNLA.

I must have really missed the downtown LB scene. I spent some time along the Queen Mary and the Pike and driving along 4th, 7th and Broadway, but I found 2nd Street Belmont Shores to be more lively and vibrant than DNLB. If anything, I thought DNLA had more options than DNLB. It has to be an error from my small sampling. Unfortunately I have to find something over the next two days before I head back to NY.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't see any of the lofts in downtown long beach, but I did see about a half dozen properties in the high rises along Ocean Blvd. One 2/2 is my back up in case I can't find something I like in Belmont Shores or DNLA.

I must have really missed the downtown LB scene. I spent some time along the Queen Mary and the Pike and driving along 4th, 7th and Broadway, but I found 2nd Street Belmont Shores to be more lively and vibrant than DNLB. If anything, I thought DNLA had more options than DNLB. It has to be an error from my small sampling. Unfortunately I have to find something over the next two days before I head back to NY.
the pike is new and just starting to develop with new residents. It is mostly high rises. In downtown long beach, check out the East Village Arts District for lofts. It's a gentrifying area that may have what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles