Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,679 times

Advertisements

The "Bringing Broadway Back" initiative is a revitalization effort to restore the historic Broadway theater district in downtown Los Angeles to its former glory.

The district includes the LARGEST concentration of historic pre-World War II movie theatres in the nation. The district even hosted a few academy awards shows in the 1920's. These were lavish temples for moviegoers with sweeping marble staircases, ornate balconies, and elaborate interiors. Most of these theatres are now empty or are under-utilized (being used as retail space or churches).

The current plans include programming the theatres with live performances (plays, concerts, etc) and film events. To encourage this activity, there are plans for a new streetscape, lighting, parking, and a streetcar to connect Broadway with LA Live/Staples and Grand Avenue.

One of the biggest obstacles is the current state of the economy. However, even with a good economy, there is no guarantee it will work. In the long run, I do believe it will work b/c there is no street as unique and interesting as Broadway in all of So. Calif.

Anyone have any thought or ideas about how this will or will not play out???

Last edited by Island_OnThe_Land; 05-11-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Also, to further demonstrate the history of the area, Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights" had its debut in the district in 1931, and Albert Einstein was there to see it.

Last edited by Island_OnThe_Land; 05-11-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Are there enough people living close enough by to support these facilities' renaissance? If not, would it be worth it for people to travel in to downtown to see a show versus seeing one at a venue more local to them?

When many people think of downtown, they think of "hassle".

(By the way, I think you have something like 96 minutes to edit a post; you didn't need to create a separate post.)

Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,765 times
I think with the happening of the new hotel around Staples and many other restaurants/stores developing in the area it may bring people to the district to see films.

Back in the day I would ditch school ( dating myself LOL!), and go downtown to the movies. I would see a double feature, cartoon and then the main feature. I loved the movies and would sit and swoon for hours. Walking up Broadway was always an adventure.

The splendor of those theatres can't be beat, and I know the LA Conservatory was doing something some years back, but again you have to have something that will pull folks to the area. Investors who will take the chance, and they will need to make the area safe so people feel secure. Good restaurants and happening bars/clubs/shopping may do the trick.

The area has too much history and beauty not to bring it back in my opinion.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Charles. Thanks for the reply (and tip about editing).

I agree with you that people think "hassle" when contemplating a trip downtown. That is an excellent point.

The residential base is growing in downtown. That will help but ultimately I think the district will have to draw people in from surrounding areas (like Pasadena and 3rd Street in Santa Monica). I am under no illusion that this can happen on Broadway overnight or even be as successful as these other efforts.

That said, there are plans to create parking that is safe and afrordable to attract people to Broadway (a key step that both Pasadena and Santa Monica used to kick-start those efforts). In addition, the street car is an attempt to link Broadway to LA Live/Staples and Grand Avenue. Making the streetscape CLEAN and ATTRACTIVE (as it is at the 3rd Street promenade) with trees, lighting, street furniture, etc. is a must (and is part of the plan).

Ultimately, I think the uniqueness of the area WILL WIN PEOPLE over. But it will take coordianted and sustained investment by the public and private sector to make it happen.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyNola View Post
Back in the day I would ditch school ( dating myself LOL!), and go downtown to the movies. I would see a double feature, cartoon and then the main feature. I loved the movies and would sit and swoon for hours. Walking up Broadway was always an adventure.

The splendor of those theatres can't beat
I agree.

And interesting to note that Councilman Jose Huizar (who represents the area and is a key architect in the effort) often talks about seeing martial arts films (in spanish subtitles) on Broadway when he was a kid. Huizar is pretty young (mid or late '30's). So wouldn't fee too dated!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Charles. Thanks for the reply (and tip about editing).

I agree with you that people think "hassle" when contemplating a trip downtown. That is an excellent point.

The residential base is growing in downtown. That will help but ultimately I think the district will have to draw people in from surrounding areas (like Pasadena and 3rd Street in Santa Monica). I am under no illusion that this can happen on Broadway overnight or even be as successful as these other efforts.

That said, there are plans to create parking that is safe and afrordable to attract people to Broadway (a key step that both Pasadena and Santa Monica used to kick-start those efforts). In addition, the street car is an attempt to link Broadway to LA Live/Staples and Grand Avenue. Making the streetscape CLEAN and ATTRACTIVE (as it is at the 3rd Street promenade) with trees, lighting, street furniture, etc. is a must (and is part of the plan).

Ultimately, I think the uniqueness of the area WILL WIN PEOPLE over. But it will take coordianted and sustained investment by the public and private sector to make it happen.
What I really meant was driving to downtown, not really the parking. Traffic is so bad from Orange County, the San Fernando Valley, the Westside, and the South Bay it just seems tough. That's why someone would have to analyze to see if there was enough market local to those venues.

However, people do go to Dodger games and Laker games and other places in and around downtown so maybe it will fly. I guess maybe by 800PM, traffic has mellowed out so perhaps I am thinking "rush hour" not evening performance time.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:54 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
yes i think it can work.

if people go to DT for the disney hall and the chandler and staples and other venues, then why not for the LA theater or the Globe?

those theaters are gorgeous. i have been to different events at the theaters (including some movie watching) and they are magnificent, slightly neglected, but great none the less.

for a while i thought DT had stangnated. i spend lots of time in DT. this past weekend i was waiting for some friends. getting off at 7th st metro sta. i was pleased by the amount of people i saw walking about. all kinds. people on their way to a club. an older back packer holding a map. a group of foreigners who had gone shopping. girls coming out from eating dinner.

all this going on post 10 pm.

the revitalization of DT is happening. the economic climate delayed the progress on broadway, but its coming. lets not forget that the orpheum is still a good venue for all kinds of acts.

its happening.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What I really meant was driving to downtown, not really the parking. Traffic is so bad from Orange County, the San Fernando Valley, the Westside, and the South Bay it just seems tough.

However, people do go to Dodger games and Laker games and other places in and around downtown so maybe it will fly. I guess maybe by 800PM, traffic has mellowed out so perhaps I am thinking "rush hour" not evening performance time.
Yep, getting into downtown can be a big hassle. The increasing linkages to rail can help (gold line, red line, blue line, etc). That said, the current efforts are to transform the nightlife hours and it is easier after 8pm.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
yes i think it can work.

if people go to DT for the disney hall and the chandler and staples and other venues, then why not for the LA theater or the Globe?

those theaters are gorgeous. i have been to different events at the theaters (including some movie watching) and they are magnificent, slightly neglected, but great none the less.

the revitalization of DT is happening. the economic climate delayed the progress on broadway, but its coming. lets not forget that the orpheum is still a good venue for all kinds of acts.

its happening.
Sounds good to me. And it rings true as I lived in downtown from 2005 to 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles