Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times

Advertisements

I live on something similiar to that and it's difficult, but I also don't have a car, cell phone, cable, health care, many luxury items etc

I also secured an apartment right before the costs skyrocketed though I am one rent increase away from losing it and being forced into the folks' toolshed.

It can be done if you like roughing it. There isn't really much I need to get by. The only difficulty would be getting roomates (I don't get along with people and don't want to live with anyone who takes drugs or alcohol) or if I have to get a 2nd job (I sleep a lot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I live on something similiar to that and it's difficult, but I also don't have a car, cell phone, cable, health care, many luxury items etc

I also secured an apartment right before the costs skyrocketed though I am one rent increase away from losing it and being forced into the folks' toolshed.

It can be done if you like roughing it. There isn't really much I need to get by. The only difficulty would be getting roomates (I don't get along with people and don't want to live with anyone who takes drugs or alcohol) or if I have to get a 2nd job (I sleep a lot).
You sound like a really happy guy!!! I hope you don't have to depend on someone to help with your bills, like rent. Not wanting a roomie doing drugs I can understand, what is wrong with a beer now and then?

Nita

Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
It's amazing what becomes an "extra" when one is bound and determined to live in LA, even if it kills him. In the 21st century, if you have to live without a fully-functional tv (i.e, no cable or satellite) and a car to pay the rest of your bills, you really ought to consider moving to someplace more affordable.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
That's why I am asking. I'd rather not go to LA than working 2 jobs.

Yes, I agree, working 2 jobs suck as I have done it myself and realized I was just digging myself an early grave.

I also had a friend who worked a job in City of industry where he worked so many hours to maintain a living in Upland, ca with his wife and new baby that he had some kind of mild heart attack on the job and had to be rushed to the hospital. He was only 29 years old! The sad part about it was that one of the managers just stepped over him when he was on the floor to man the machine to keep it running instead of assisting my friend.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-26-2009 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
Piling on here.

On $10 an hour, just forget it. no chance unless you have a yen for living in a refrigerator carton or with three or four roomates. Car insurance alone is likely to run you upwards of $2k/year.

I would save some money and then use my accumulated vacation time to fly out to L.A. and make the rounds while staying at a cheap hotel. If you don't find a job then you fly back and resume your life where you are. This isn't the time in history you want to be quitting jobs on a whim.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You sound like a really happy guy!!! I hope you don't have to depend on someone to help with your bills, like rent. Not wanting a roomie doing drugs I can understand, what is wrong with a beer now and then?

Nita
I am perfectly happy. I don't want or need much. I did used to drink pretty much nonstop and now would just rather not be around it at all.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
It's amazing what becomes an "extra" when one is bound and determined to live in LA, even if it kills him. In the 21st century, if you have to live without a fully-functional tv (i.e, no cable or satellite) and a car to pay the rest of your bills, you really ought to consider moving to someplace more affordable.
I've never owned a car and never really felt I needed one. And I could make a hundred grand a year and still not see the point in paying a hundred bucks a month to watch TV.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir punk View Post
i wouldn't call minneapolis and milano, italy little towns.

And if nobody moved to la then it wouldn't be the city that is today.
exactly! Well said!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM

80 posts, read 237,055 times
I can't believe how people consider TV a necessity. I've been living without a TV for years and don't miss at all the junk that's being broadcasted. Internet is a necessity nowadays, especially to find jobs.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
I can't believe how people consider TV a necessity. I've been living without a TV for years and don't miss at all the junk that's being broadcasted. Internet is a necessity nowadays, especially to find jobs.
It's a different culture out here. Spend spend spend, very competitive, must have what everyone else has. My neighbour pays $100 for her cable and she's unemployed. I pay $14 but it's only to get a picture and so I can watch the news and king of the hill haha but I can easily go without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles