Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And not that far away from where Biggie Smalls got shot:

Man fatally shot at entrance to Beverly Center [Updated] | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

Why do rappers have to carry their beefs with each other into outright shooting? It's really retarded. Rock figures don't do this kind of thing, nor did they ever (with the obvious exception of Phil Spector), nor did any R&B, soul, funk, or jazz guys, no matter how harsh of a background they came from. Even the rock figures from the most seriously "thug" backgrounds like Liam Gallagher don't resort to guns to settle their beefs. This is really stupid Moderator cut: language and knowing how rap feuds gone violent have been in the past there's a good chance this might lead to more stupid violence.

Thoughts?

i agree with you it is stupid really stupid ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
I was just making a comparison that drug users such as "rockers" live longer lives than the drug dealer "rappers". It's amazing how much the body can take. If you're not overdoing it you can sustain a crack habit for decades.

I've seen the same crack head on the freeway entrance for the past 20 years of my life since I was a kid, so they have lived my lifetime so far. I can't say that a drug dealer's life can compare statistically.
That's crazy, yet true. No one really talks about that though.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Rappers are ignorant, brainless scumbag morons. The entire culture is retarded.
Scientists have shown that your behavior can effect your brain. THeir behavior has infected their brains.
They should all be put on an island and left to their own devices. They offer nothing of any redeeming social/moral/political value to the world.
That's messed up, and you're just generalizing. There are thousands of rappers that arent scumbags. And what about rockstars, heck what about human beings period. There are millions of rapes, and murders, that happen all over the world and the US that arent committed by rappers. I just dont get you're statment. That's like saying all Lions are dangerous, so they should be put on an island somewhere, even though snakes, sharks, alligators, killer bees, tigers, and bears are just as dangerous.And they offer no moral/political/social value?? As if other artist do. There have been PLENTY of rappers who have charities, and give back to there community, plenty of rappers that have raised the awareness of AIDS. In a society that is saturated with sex, money, racism, violence, greed, fake politicians, wars, scams, and all sorts of vice, I find it surprising that rappers continue to get ALOT of the blame. I agree with you, there are ALOT of ignorant rappers, but ALL of them??? Are you sure??

Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Not all are thugs. Many are in gangs and glamorize that lifestyle. But then there are the Studio Gangsters like P-diddy who like to play the tough guy but would wet their pants in a real scrap, let alone doing time. Hip-hop today is about selling an image. Clothing lines, jewelry, accessories etc. It's not about the music, it hasn't been for the last 15 years.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:03 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's messed up, and you're just generalizing. There are thousands of rappers that arent scumbags. And what about rockstars, heck what about human beings period. There are millions of rapes, and murders, that happen all over the world and the US that arent committed by rappers. I just dont get you're statment. That's like saying all Lions are dangerous, so they should be put on an island somewhere, even though snakes, sharks, alligators, killer bees, tigers, and bears are just as dangerous.And they offer no moral/political/social value?? As if other artist do. There have been PLENTY of rappers who have charities, and give back to there community, plenty of rappers that have raised the awareness of AIDS. In a society that is saturated with sex, money, racism, violence, greed, fake politicians, wars, scams, and all sorts of vice, I find it surprising that rappers continue to get ALOT of the blame. I agree with you, there are ALOT of ignorant rappers, but ALL of them??? Are you sure??
When you willingly join a culture that glorifies crime, rape, murder, prostitution and the degradation of women then you are as guilty as if you started that culture. While not all rappers are criminals, all rappers are guilty of perpetuating a worthless culture.
I see daily what this rap culture does to the youth of my people. It offers nothing positive.
John Gotti donated money to charity, that doesn't make him or any Mafioso good people by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not all are thugs. Many are in gangs and glamorize that lifestyle. But then there are the Studio Gangsters like P-diddy who like to play the tough guy but would wet their pants in a real scrap, let alone doing time. Hip-hop today is about selling an image. Clothing lines, jewelry, accessories etc. It's not about the music, it hasn't been for the last 15 years.
It's fair to say the majority of rappers, even including gangsta rappers, aren't really in gangs. Many rappers start off as struggling actors who see rap as a step to an acting career (which it has been for MANY) and see the "gangster" stuff as playing a role. It's the minority who are who cause problems.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Horrible tragedy Do you think it was a rival rapper? Talk about a "cut throat" business!
The chances of it being a rival rapper are about 99%.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM

317 posts, read 819,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
When you willingly join a culture that glorifies crime, rape, murder, prostitution and the degradation of women then you are as guilty as if you started that culture. While not all rappers are criminals, all rappers are guilty of perpetuating a worthless culture.
I see daily what this rap culture does to the youth of my people. It offers nothing positive.
John Gotti donated money to charity, that doesn't make him or any Mafioso good people by any stretch of the imagination.

This is an ignorant generalization for one reason. There are many genres of hip hop, but unlike rock, which can range anywhere from pop-rock to hardcore, Hip-Hop isn't able to branch into its diversity like rock is able to.
The reason for this is the mindset of the record executives. I'm sure Jimmy Iovine the CEO of Interscope Records (who is Jewish and probably hates rap, but overseas rappers like 50 cent) doesn't want to promote a Mos Def or a Lupe Fiasco and many others because they aren't violent and have a positive message.
Rap is marketed like action movies, the more gore, sex, ignorance and violence it is the better, and anything else isn't worth the marketing dollars for big record companies, which are run by individuals with MBAs that listen to Kenny G.
So Basically it's not just the Rapper's fault the Market in rap right now is for ignorant, violent, idiots and hence there will be many applying for that position.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Rap is marketed like action movies, the more gore, sex, ignorance and violence it is the better, and anything else isn't worth the marketing dollars for big record companies, which are run by individuals with MBAs that listen to Kenny G.
And there's an irony to this. The music industry was the FIRST of America's industries to begin to crumble in this decade, before Wall Street, before the auto industry, before newspapers and most recently broadcast radio. The major labels are crumbling - they may not survive the recession. With the structure of the business changing, there's no reason why artists can't take things into their own hands and shortcircuit the middle man (the labels). Many have indeed done this and are doing this in many genres, including but not limited to rap.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Quote:
So Basically it's not just the Rapper's fault the Market in rap right now is for ignorant, violent, idiots and hence there will be many applying for that position.
Absolutely. I also blame the brain dead people who perpetuate this cancerous culture by buying the product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles