Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 PM

13 posts, read 66,094 times

Advertisements

I always thought it was kind of narrow-minded to judge an area based on it's location, but I guess I have to when I travel.

I always though OC was probably the most stuck up counties in California, not to mention conservative and extremely prejudice. I refer OC as the South, the western South, or South County.

What are your personal personal views on Orange County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Hm, it seems to me to be very suburban and homogeneous. When I'm in Orange County, I miss the mountains and variety of Los Angeles County. I do not care for suburban culture, no matter where it's found, but that's my own personal preference.

Orange County does have lovely beaches. And Disneyland. Some of its towns do have a little something to them, like Fullerton and Laguna Beach.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
The OC is changing. I used to (15-20+ years ago) perceive it as "white," clean, republican, Disney, Huntington Beach, Irvine, San Clemente. Nowadays, however, it's hilarious because many of the whites are moving out and it's now filled with Asians, Middle Easterners, and a few Mexicans.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Hm, it seems to me to be very suburban and homogeneous. When I'm in Orange County, I miss the mountains and variety of Los Angeles County. I do not care for suburban culture, no matter where it's found, but that's my own personal preference.
Whenever I start to get annoyed with Los Angeles for being too "suburban", I just think of Orange County and it makes me appreciate the urban qualities that LA does have.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:17 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
I've had to go back to OC lately (my mother is in the hospital) and I must say I am glad to live in Los Angeles. I grew up in Costa Mesa which, like so many other cities at the time had its soda shop, neighborhood theatre, used bookstore, etc. Well they are all gone, every place I hung out as a kid, gone. And I suddenly noticed how FLAT the place is, as far as the eye can see. Harbor Boulevard has got to be the ugliest street (afte Beach Boulevard) that I have ever seen. Yeah, I know 'mesa' means 'flat' but much of the County main streets fit the description.

That said, it could be worse. Just not my kind of place, that's all.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
I've lived in both north Orange County and the city of LA, and the big difference is that Orange County is much more functional. The schools seem to be able to educate the kids. The cities seem to be able to pave the streets. The trash and graffiti are at tolerable levels. It isn't always one beating away from a riot or one shooting away from a gang war.

I also think that the racism there is better in OC than in LA because the class divisions aren't as serious as they are here in LA. Here it is rich vs poor, high crime vs low crime, west side and hills vs everyone else.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 PM

241 posts, read 939,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I do not care for suburban culture, no matter where it's found, but that's my own personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Whenever I start to get annoyed with Los Angeles for being too "suburban", I just think of Orange County and it makes me appreciate the urban qualities that LA does have.
me too also. Beside few area never really like staying or going there. Santa ana might be as close to la as the county can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
I also think that the racism there is better in OC than in LA because the class divisions aren't as serious as they are here in LA. Here it is rich vs poor, high crime vs low crime, west side and hills vs everyone else.
maybe its me but all times been in oc besides santa ana seem like there is division to the many or most areas local or the feeling in these areas is not even like many parts of la like its not bad place to be in.

Last edited by graciously; 05-20-2009 at 12:21 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
I love Orange county and try to visit regularly during summer. Surf & turf in Huntington\ Laguna & occasionally spend the night. The beaches are very nice though my days of challenging the "Wedge" are likely over I'm too much of a wuss to risk my life anymore though never experienced injuries. I guess my focus is basically the beach scene since I haven't been to Disneyland in over a decade [I don't even go to Magic Mt anymore]. Have some cousins in Orange I see on occasion. I did enjoy the Bowers museum in Santa Ana last summer but have yet to attend an Angel game even though Coastliner stops at the stadium. I love the stretch of Interstate 5 thru Orange county & hope it continues into LA some day.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
Orange County has better politics than most of Los Angeles County. Thats why Orange County's government works much better.

"Orange County is where Republicans go before they die" - Ronald Reagan

Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I love the stretch of Interstate 5 thru Orange county & hope it continues into LA some day.
Yes, definitely. That is one place Orange County has a huge advantage over LA. They have plenty of lanes and are doing a beautiful job with the concrete work, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles