Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,124 times

Advertisements

I live in santa monica area and I am not familiar with South Carthay. I think it is a cute neighborhood and I am interested in buying in that area due to affordability but would like some reviews if possible.

Is it safe?

I would be close to Pico but on the North side between crescent heights and la cienega. I am concerned about there being duplexes at the end of the street(which could affect the value and be an issue with noise, etc.) and then pico which makes me worry about safety issues.

I have heard that it is good area since it is north of Pico and then I have heard of a couple recent muggings.

Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
I really like South Carthay. A while ago, it was listed in LA Mag as one of "The Best LA Neighborhoods You've Never Heard Of," or something like that. I don't think you should be overly concerned about safety. It's a city neighborhood, but certainly not a bad one.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
i also like the area, but it does get sketchy to the south fairly quickly. i would prefer to stay closer to olympic, certainly north of pico. once you get down to venice, things change pretty quickly.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i also like the area, but it does get sketchy to the south fairly quickly. i would prefer to stay closer to olympic, certainly north of pico. once you get down to venice, things change pretty quickly.
Once you get down to Venice, you're no longer in South Carthay. That's Mid-City. Totally different world.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,015 times
It's a great neighborhood. Generally quiet, nice homes, most about 2000 sq ft or so. There are about 3 or 4 homes there that are amazing that most folks who live there dont even notice.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 AM

122 posts, read 539,441 times
Great neighborhood, nice homes- though I have to disagree with some of the south of Pico commentary- I had friends that lived around Pic-Fair Village/ used to live near Pic-Fair and walk through it some times/ wasn't that bad, a lot of nice small homes, looked like people took care of their houses.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 8,124 times
Thanks for all of your input! It is good to hear!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,992 times
It is an excellent neighborhood, and there is talk that the area will be re~zoned and it will become a part of BH.

Even East of Crescent Heights to Houser Blvd, North of Pico is still a nice area to live. I think you can find some great homes/prices in the area, the duplexes are beautiful and extremely large and the area is still fairly safe. If you rent the rent is not cheap!

You can get mugged anyplace. I lived in BH for years and there was always muggings.

You have to look out for yourself no matter where you live.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: