Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 PM

51 posts, read 130,264 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am a 21 year old female moving to LA Feb 2010. My fiance will be studying at Musicians Institute, and I want to further and continue with my dance career.

I was thinking of starting off at IDA studios in Hollywood, but I would also like to study at a University like CSULB or something similar. If anybody has any suggestions or experience at IDA, please comment.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Try this for starters:

**** The Colburn School ****

Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkk View Post
Hi

I am a 21 year old female moving to LA Feb 2010. My fiance will be studying at Musicians Institute, and I want to further and continue with my dance career.

I was thinking of starting off at IDA studios in Hollywood, but I would also like to study at a University like CSULB or something similar. If anybody has any suggestions or experience at IDA, please comment.

Thanks
What is your current dance background?
What type of dance do you plan on studying?

Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
What is your current dance background?
What type of dance do you plan on studying?

I've been dancing since I was five. Currently doing ballet, Jazz, Hip Hop, Tap, Modern and Contemporary(Horton). I would like too specialize in Hip Hop and Jazz.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 PM

107 posts, read 580,290 times
UC riverside has a PhD program in Dance, i think. if thats something you want to pursuit.

if your fiance is a guitar player, and MI doesn't work out, might want to try Cal state fullerton. they have a strong guitar program

Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie View Post
UC riverside has a PhD program in Dance, i think. if thats something you want to pursuit.

if your fiance is a guitar player, and MI doesn't work out, might want to try Cal state fullerton. they have a strong guitar program
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. Ideally I want to perform as much as possible and be on stage as often as possible. Do you know of any schools that have an emphasis on Hip Hop?

He's already been accepted at MI, and been recomended for a scholorship so I'm pretty sure he's going to do his thing there.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
My son's best friend's dad is a dance teacher(professor? instructor?) at CSULB. He's well regarded and has been there for quite a long time. I'd probably recommend the program over there based off my loose knowledge of it

Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 AM

I've also heard that CSULB is has a pretty good program. I would however like to get some opinions on IDA if anyone knows about it, it's right across the road from MI. I am an American citizen, but I haven't lived there for most of my life. I am planning on not going to a university for the first year, just doing open classes. That way, my parents can pay in-state fees if I'm there for a year before I start studying.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM

8 posts, read 19,717 times
Default Re : Coming to LA to study dance..any suggestions?

If you want dancing and also further study . This is possible, but when you start your study as part time at evening course. When morning you continue your dancing practice.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 AM

24 posts, read 52,173 times
I graduated from CSULB with a minor in theater... good solid arts department and close to the ocean. I would try there for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles