Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 AM

257 posts, read 1,444,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is he working 4 X 10?
Otherwise, Life is too short for 11 (or 10 + lunch) hour days.
And that's away from home for 12 hours and 15 minutes.
He works those hrs now, but that is because we aren't there yet.
He has taken the hwy a few times during rush hr times and has had good and bad days.
He gets perks, time off...like this week...he is sitting here in Canada working from home for the week : )
I don't know how it will go once we are there.
We are just happy to have him employed in this economy.Long hrs aren't our worry for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
Please live closer to his work so he can enjoy his wife and children more.

South Bay has nicer weather but not worth the added frustration of driving the freeways.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
I'm not sure why the choices should be limited to Calabasas or the South Bay. I'd look into some areas closer to Westwood.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:02 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
Closer to Westwood you have LA Unified Schools or small pockets of marginally better schools (Culver City). In Santa Monica/Malibu Unified $1.1M will not buy much more than a standard 3/2 home.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
There is a reasonable degree of Asian oriented business activity and cultural opportunities in the communities that are actually on the floor of the Valley. You're talking a few minutes' drive with traffic flow and not unthinkable when it's more jammed (not to mention of course getting on Ventura Blvd instead of the 101). Also, from Calabasas, it's not too bad getting into West LA / Westwood / BH et al going backroads (Topanga, etc). I would imagine given the importance of schools and space, Calabasas could work for you. Of course as noted it's an inland-ish climate (I seem to recall it being Climate Zone 18 in the Sunset Western Gardening Guide or something like that, probably not anything in the 20s, certainly not the preferred / best Zone 24).

Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
Calabasas is a sleepy boring mostly "white" town. I know b/c I am white and grew up in the Calabasas area.

Do your kids a favor and go South Bay (or West LA). They'll thank you for it when they are older.

Don't get me wrong: Calabasas has great public schools. Yet, to paraphrase Mark Twain, "Never let schooling interfere with your education." That is, far better to grow up in an area that has more diversity and variety (and I am talking about everything from race/ethnicity to city life to diverse neighborhoods, etc.).

Calabasas is a "hick" town on the edge of a large city. Granted the "hicks" have a lot of money but they are terribly isolated and parochial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles