Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly moving to LA soon with 2 friends. We'd need a 2-3 bd and 2 ba apartment / house / whatever. Our budget is $1800-$2100 or so (I'd possibly pay more to get my own bed/bath). Could we get something decent for that?

They like the Hollywood & Los Feliz areas, as they have lived there before & it's close to their jobs. I don't know the area that well, as far as living there. How is it for 3 young, single women?

We also each have our own car, so we'd need enough parking. I'd also like to be able to walk to things sometimes, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Oh, I was also looking at Silverlake & Echo Park, but I don't know if Silverlake would be way too expensive, and if Echo Park is still too ghetto.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
As far as walking goes, you could certainly easily walk to many, many things in all of those neighborhoods. I have more experience with Los Feliz and Hollywood than Echo Park or Silverlake, but all are walkable and have lots of destinations to walk to.

Street parking is tough in many parts of Hollywood (actually, I think in all of those neighborhoods listed), so if you rent there then try to find a place with parking. Be prepared to pay, and in some places there is a limit on how many spaces are available. When we lived in Hollywood some people also rented monthly spots in a nearby city-owned garage. Hollywood and Los Feliz are both interesting, vibrant, walkable neighborhoods, and although it depends on individual tastes and personalities, in general both would have much to offer young, single women.

I don't think Silverlake will be more expensive than Los Feliz; it was cheaper when we looked at places in those areas, but that was four or more years ago now. As far as Echo Park, I think that is going to depend on your own personal level of comfort; it's pretty popular with the hipster crowd, and I know people who live there and love it. I think it's worth at least considering, given that your budget isn't huge for the number of rooms and bathrooms (and parking) that you're looking for. Start poking around Craigslist, if you haven't already, to get a sense of the current rental rates for those areas and what kind of amenities you can expect for what price.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,476 times
Out of those neighborhoods, I'd say that parking is definitely the most difficult in Hollywood, easiest in Los Feliz and Silver Lake.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Yeah parking is surprisingly easy in Los Feliz.

Los Feliz is also pretty walkable.

I think in Los Feliz 3br-2bath places would be a bit above your price range. Around 2000-3500.

Seriously check Craigslist and you'll get a feel for the prices. I can't check the prices at work.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
I've checked craigslist and my price range seems feasible, even if there's less choices. Los Feliz & Silverlake definitely require the high end of the range for a 3 bd, but the other two women may be fine with a 2 bd (one is gone travelling most of the time because of her job). They're looking in Hollywood also, and I'm going to suggest Echo Park as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles