Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 12,033 times

Advertisements

For someone working downtown, what is the living radius you can consider while remaining sane in LA with regards to traffic, commute, and basic livability? Basically, what neighborhoods should you consider? This would be for a recent college grad that is looking for an atmosphere to meet people and make friends, and have fun and what not, not looking for a quiet family lifestyle.

I have a car, but want to use it as little as possible (as in, not for commuting to work). I will also have a bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
What's your budget and desired living arrangement (apartment, rent room, roommates, etc)?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Additional Info

A little about me:
- Went to Rice University (Houston, Texas), architect
- From Maryland, near Washington, DC (also the home of some ****ty traffic, nothing compared to LA though).
- Pakistani (if that matters)

Hobbies/Likes:
- DJing (into the house and electronic music scene)
- Volleyball (beach or indoor) & Soccer
- Snowboarding in winter
Likes: trains, underground bars, all kinds of ethnic foods, drawing and architecture-related things.

Looking for: density and some sort of walk-ability or bike-ability to basic conveniences, or generally entertaining areas for young people or recent college grads. Beach is a plus, but it seems everyone wants to live there.

I was looking at these areas:
- East Hollywood/Silver Lake/Los Feliz (off the Red Line)
- Palms/Culver City/Mar Vista (relatively cheap, biking distance to the beach)
- Miracle Mile (centrally located)
- near Santa Monica College (proximity to the beach)
- Little Tokyo & the fashion district Downtown
- coastal Long Beach (off the Blue Line)

Comments? I've been looking through these forums for a few days and have seen all the comments/descriptions about these neighborhoods. I want to know if I should eliminate some of those neighborhood options. It seems that LA is so diverse and each area so specific/unique to ones tastes that this kind of research is crucial.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 AM

Oh yeah, budget is ideally under 800/month. I don't want to live alone, but do not want to share a room. Beyond that, it doesn't matter how many roommates I have as long as we get along, are into some similar hobbies, and are respectful of each other. That being said, them being around the same age as me is probably desirable.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
Honestly, your budget is going to severely hurt your options. I'd go with North Hollywood.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Don't know about budget (that's low, although certainly doable if you're doing a 2 BR for $1600), but downtown or East Hollywood sound like good bets. Los Feliz/Silver Lake are going to be more expensive. I think Little Tokyo is pretty pricey, but my view of that may be skewed because I've mostly looked at the higher-end places there. If I were you I'd either stay within walking distance of downtown (or in downtown) or along the Red Line. Maybe add Echo Park to the list, too; not on the train, but still really close and with good bus service (and lots of young people; it's filled with hipsters). Santa Monica is getting to be along way away for easy commuting to DT, but they do have express buses, so maybe it's not as bad as I'm imagining.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
i would say the east hollywood area. tho its a bit ruff around the edges. silver lake is nice, but you might be priced out. a good mix of those two would be echo park. a safer mix would be highland park (and its gold line adjacent). you can also live in downtown. but i think you should consider echo or highland park. even without the train, PT in those areas is pretty good.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
EXECAR: I think all the areas you highlighted fit the criteria you outlined: dense, urban, walkable and close to downtown. The one excpection is Long Beach which is pretty far from downtown but as you noted does have the Blue Line which connects to downtown.

I think the Miracle Mile is a great option: urban, walkable, safe, diverse, interesting architecture, and yet relatively close to downtown. At the same time, being in Miracle Mile gives you quick access to other nice locations like Santa Monica or Hollywood. You can also take the Metro Rapid BUS line from Miracle Mile into downtown. Subway only extends to Koreatown.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 AM

219 posts, read 608,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Honestly, your budget is going to severely hurt your options. I'd go with North Hollywood.
This would be my suggestion as well. I would say all the areas are fairly within reach provided OP is willing to share an apartment with 1 or 2 roommates. If OP wants to live alone, I would say $800/month is a no-go for living alone in any of the areas mentioned.

OP, you do already have a job lined up, right?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:58 AM

yes, i have a job lined up. i don't want to live alone either, so i'm looking at two or three br apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles