Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,090 times

Advertisements

A price and location that sounds too good to be true, money's needed in the next day, there are a lot of people interested and he's putting up an ad soon so you better act now. I'm sorry, are you renting an apartment or buying a used car from this guy?

There are three options regarding the person he rented to last month and has suddenly disappeared: either they got tired of this guy and bailed, he got crazy and kicked them out, or they never existed.

You're falling for a classic "create pressure/reel them in" scam. My crystal ball says there is regret on your horizon. Don't walk away. RUN away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:59 PM

93 posts, read 188,491 times
Im about 50/50 at this point. I never said I was or was not going to take it. Im just iffy because everything matches up, but some of his actions dont.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
He has too many red flags. I agree with the above posters, RUN.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Im about 50/50 at this point. I never said I was or was not going to take it. Im just iffy because everything matches up, but some of his actions dont.
I think you've answered your own question. Your money and your living situation are extremely important and you should be totally sure; "50/50" might as well be "0." And if his actions don't match up, then you can't really say "everything" matches up. The actions are what matter.

In addition to listening to the various posters here, you should listen to that little nagging voice in your head that told you to start this thread.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I'm weighing in with everyone else here. DON'T do it! Something seems very fishy here, and I wouldn't be any more comfortable with it than you are. I agree with others that you should pay attention to your intuition or gut feelings, and that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Roommate situations can be tricky, no doubt about it. As long as you establish ground rules about cleaning, smoking, guests, etc. up front, then it can work. However, the situation with the other person (one week?) seems weird. I don't know...

Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post

In addition to listening to the various posters here, you should listen to that little nagging voice in your head that told you to start this thread.
Correction : I posted here because I wanted to get opinions from those living in LA, NOT for those posters to make up my mind. As I said Im 50/50 at this point. On the con side, I completely agree with everyone here, and that his actions were a bit shadey. However, like myself, he is in the entertainment industry. For those of you that arent aware, it isnt uncommon for many of us in LA to make a mistake or two. So Im torn. Because as much as this could be bad news, it could also be a minor screw up on his part.

EDIT : He told me that they kid was moving to LA for film school, and was having separation anxiety. I guess at 18 it is possible.

I have been looking for a place that works for me for over 6 months. I am 25, and have a lot of younger things I want to accomplish. I would hate to pass this up (if its legit), and be stuck here for another 6 months. OR to be stuck in a crappy place.

It just sucks that I have to known within a day.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Well, Jer, I don't know about you, but I don't react well to pressure. Why can't he wait more than one day? I can appreciate a long search, and that you just want it to be over already, though. Are you signing a lease or is it month to month? If it's month to month, then go for it. You can always move. If it's a year long lease, then you might want to rethink it.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
again, I can't stress enough: don't bite!!! the pressure issue alone should be a clue:: what more can anyone say to convince you?

Nita

Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Well, Jer, I don't know about you, but I don't react well to pressure. Why can't he wait more than one day? I can appreciate a long search, and that you just want it to be over already, though. Are you signing a lease or is it month to month? If it's month to month, then go for it. You can always move. If it's a year long lease, then you might want to rethink it.

God no .. If it was a lease, there would be no way I would do it. Its a month to month rental.

I dont act well under a lot of pressure too, but I see his point. Does the guy really want to rely on someone he doesnt know (me), and if I flake out, not have a roommate for July? Im not saying that he told me that if I dont take it in the next day or two, that I cant have it. Hes just saying that he wanted to offer me a window of opportunity first, before posting the ad to find someone else.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
Can I say one more thing?
I only assumed that you are coming from somewhere outside LA. I could be wrong by assuming that, but if you were in LA, it seems to me that you could have met him in person so that was my reason for that assumption.
Having lived in LA for so many years I know that people there are not very trusting. I would never even consider renting a room in my apt or home to someone who I had never met and who I had not performed a background and credit check on. That is what people in LA do in this day and age. That is the norm.
I agree with other posters, your gut is telling you this is not on the level, but if your heart is in it and you can afford it go for it. If it turns out to be a good deal, cool. If not you will look back on it as a lesson learned and not make that mistake again. You are not a kid, you are a mature adult and have every right to make your own decisions about your life. In the future you will make many decisions, some good and some bad and you will reap the rewards or pay the price accordingly. Don't be afraid of the future, but learn to trust yourself.
My good thoughts and best wishes to you for your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles