Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,434 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the California Heights - Bixby Knolls area of Long Beach in the 50s and 60s. Russells had the BEST burgers. They were made with Ritchie baby beef ---really high quality meat that was available back then. Ray and Eddies Market featured Ritchie (not sure if spelling is correct) baby beef.

Back around 1955 a Russell's hamburger cost a staggering 50 cents! Outrageous at the time for a hamburger! The burgers were made on toasted buns with their own dressing with lettuce and onion --- they were impossible to eat without a million napkins!

There was a waitress who who worked there for at least 30 years. She was blonde and reminded everyone of Doris Day. I recall she was extremely efficient.

It was after Russell sold the restaurant, I think, that it was expanded it. Last time I was there, about 1997, the hamburgers were still made the same but the beef was not as tasty as the original. Still it was a really great burger!

This might be the only burger place ever that did not sell french fries. They had hash browns! Very unique.

Anyone remember Le Yen's right down the street? Or Mr. Francis, the manager of the Crest Theater (directly across the street from Russells)? He put on great kid shows every Saturday afternoon.

That area of Bixby Knolls was a busy section of Atlantic Avenue that was very neighborly and very prosperous during the 50s and 60s. Last time I was there it was really sad to see how different it had become.

Last edited by Bobbro; 04-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: correct grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,187 times
Default Russell's in Long Beach

I used to go to the Russell's in Bixby Knolls with my mom when I was a boy. I can still remember how fun it was to watch a waitress refuse to serve an adult male a piece of pie because he hadn't finished his burger. I don't know where they got these women, but if you were a regular you knew: you didn't try to order dessert if you hadn't finished your meal, and you didn't take the rest home. Very fun.

The restaurant was an old-fashioned lunch counter, with no seating other than at the counter. It was long and narrow, and you stood in line waiting for seats to open up. Food was awesome, especially of course the burgers. My mom and I would split an order of hashbrowns, and then if I finished all my food I could get an order of peanutbutter pie. I've had it as an adult and it's disgustingly sweet, but when you're 10 it's the most wonderful thing in the world.

Mr. Hearn sold the restaurant (as one of the other commenters noted, above) and the quality didn't change much. At some point there were descendants (I don't know whether they were Hearn's descendants or descendants of the 2nd owner) and they didn't really want to run a restaurant. Didn't mind owning it and making a profit, but didn't want to work there, or supervise those who did. Things deteriorated. I heard at one point that the only reason it was kept open was because the owner's wife wanted to run a restaurant, so that it had essentially become a hobby. By now they had 4-5 locations in the Long Beach area, including one in Seal Beach (I think) and one in Lakewood, and then they opened one in Pasadena. It strikes me that this was because the owner lived nearby, but that could be my memory playing tricks on me. Eventually all of the other stores, but the one in Pasadena, closed their doors. I've been to the Pasadena location a couple of times; it's not bad.

Oddly, if you want something that approximates Russell's experience much more than the Pasadena location, you still have to drive to Pasadena. As related to me by a waitress who works there, the legendary Pie 'N Burger was founded by a short order cook who'd been an employee of Russell's back just after the war. The restaurant has changed hands 2-3 times since, but the owners haven't changed a thing, right down to the menu on the wall and the long counter (though there are a few tables and chairs). Burger's good, pie's good, they even have hash browns. Pie 'N Burger is so well-known in the area that on the TV show Numb3rs a few years ago, Charlie had an argument with one of his colleagues at CalSci over which was better, In 'N Out, or Pie 'N Burger. Probably meant nothing to people who don't live in LA. (Personally I'd go to Pie 'N Burger every time, except there's only one; In 'N Out's all over the place, and the food there is very very good, it must be said).

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,434 times
Default Is Polly's Pies still in Long Beach?

Just as a follow-up, after my wife and I were married in 1972, we lived
in Long Beach for about 8 years.

At that time we found Polly's Pies, which was further down the road on
Atlantic Avenue (about the 3400 block) had hamburgers that pretty
much Russell's equal.

They made them much the same way --- big burger pattie, toasted bun,
lettuce, onion and sloppy with a 1,000 style dressing that was all their own.

Man they were good. And the pies were outstanding.

Can anyone tell me if Polly's is still there?

Moderator cut: link removed

Bob Bro

Last edited by Count David; 06-21-2012 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: blog promotion is not allowed

Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_W_Nicholas View Post

Oddly, if you want something that approximates Russell's experience much more than the Pasadena location, you still have to drive to Pasadena. As related to me by a waitress who works there, the legendary Pie 'N Burger was founded by a short order cook who'd been an employee of Russell's back just after the war. The restaurant has changed hands 2-3 times since, but the owners haven't changed a thing, right down to the menu on the wall and the long counter (though there are a few tables and chairs). Burger's good, pie's good, they even have hash browns. Pie 'N Burger is so well-known in the area that on the TV show Numb3rs a few years ago, Charlie had an argument with one of his colleagues at CalSci over which was better, In 'N Out, or Pie 'N Burger. Probably meant nothing to people who don't live in LA. (Personally I'd go to Pie 'N Burger every time, except there's only one; In 'N Out's all over the place, and the food there is very very good, it must be said).
This is excellent info, thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
I just recalled another legendary place, just a bit up PCH from DTLB / Russell's.

Beach Bum Burt's. Loved going there during my initial stint during the 80s.

When I returned in the 90s, I was bummed when I took a date to King Harbor in search of it, and it had turned into The Cheesecake Factory. Of course that somewhat salvaged the trip but it was the furthest thing from ole' Burt's.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I have a theory. Part of it is gentrification which tends to attract a more artsy fartsy crowd who may not appreciate a "good old American" (perhaps even, dare I say, stereotypical "little Iowa" type) resto and instead want some sort of haut cuisine. Then there is the factor of the flood of immigration, whereby the demand for Asian all you can eat buffet, or, more traditional ethnic places, exceeds that of places like Russells. Then there is the health nazi factor, everyone being so obsessive about trans fats. We've experienced the same thing here in the Bay Area, where I've been for about 20 years after leaving the Southland. All the good old places of this type are going bye bye slowly but surely.

Sad to hear Russell's is kaput. I wanted to take my wife there some day. Oh well ...

If you want to go back to memory lane. There is a place in Los Alamitos called Cafe Del Sol. There burgers are exactly the same as the ones they used to make at Russels. If anything better.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
It's great to find this history on Russell's. My husband and I went their after going to the movies back in the day. Yes, it was small and usually a line...but never disappointed. Now days we find it hard to find a good restaurant/cafe that is consistently good...oh! the good old days! Why can't this be duplicated today?

Old 07-09-2022, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 843 times
Default Russels

Hi
Do any of you remember Jone's Cafeteria and Dining Room?
How about Arnold's, LeYen's Chinese Restaurant, and Welch's?
I miss them all so much. Lora and Millie were the best waitresses at Jones.
Mr. Johnson had the best buffet in town.
Mr. Jones and his wife were the nicest people.
The Chan's cooked so good! I am still trying to find something close.
Al's Palace in Costa Mesa comes close but his gravy on the egg foo young needs Mr. Chans touch of magic.
His egg rolls are made the same way but Mr. Chan stuffed his with full fleg chicken!

Old 05-20-2023, 03:33 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
I miss all these restaurants. Russell’s in Long Beach, Arnold’s, Clifton’s, Clark St. Cafe in Lakewood, Fuddruckers , sixpence, tons of others. Many of these places started closing up within a few years after I arrived in Long Beach area.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:26 PM

273 posts, read 654,832 times
First time I went to Russel's I was in a bassinette. That's what I'm told. I don't remember going there much with my parents but was there all the time as a late teen in the early 60's.

Whether over expanded or poorly managed, they just seemed to run out of money. Financing a business can be a b****.

To answer the question about the Belmont Shores location, it was actually in Naples. So they didn't take over anyone. However, the ones in Lakewood, Seal Beach, Naples and Bixby Knolls all live on as other eateries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles