Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM

141 posts, read 754,266 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm from Florida, and here we have a scholarship program for graduating seniors that will pay either 100 or 75 percent of college tuition. It is called the Florida Bright Futures scholarship. I would like to go to college in california (specifically LA), and I was wondering if there is a similar program. I've already graduated from High School and will be starting college in the fall.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Find a California Scholarship | OEDb

Old 06-13-2009, 05:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
The state is broke! Once upon a time, they might have given you a little money to offset the higher cost of out-of-state fees and mix up the student body a bit, but don't count on that now. CA is not going to give non-resident kids a dime when the state can barely maintain programs for residents. Didn't I hear recently that CalState canceled traditional summer school this year, and any students wishing to take courses this summer must do so via the much more expensive extension program?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:53 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Nothing sponsored by the state. Your only chance is if you apply for a state school and they offer you some form of scholarship based on either athletic or scholastic achievement. Most likely, scholarship money is gone at this point in the calendar year so your best bet is to look for financial assistance in the form of loans. My daughter has been accepted at Loyola Marymount University to the tune of $50K per year. Unfortunately, no scholarships despite a 3.5 gpa.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
I don't think there is a "state" scholarship. There are tons of private scholarships from companies and nonprofits, etc... but none that I know of from the state.

Even Cal Grant, the state's largest form of financial aid for students is in danger of being eliminated and that is for residents. Also, I hope you already know where you are going to school and have researched financial aid through that school.

Also, as an FYI: Tuition is much higher in California for the public universities as an out of state student. UCLA for example is around $25,000 for tuition, room, and board for an IN STATE student. An out of state student, which you will be, you will pay more than $40,000 for the same education.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Some schools may have programs. I am aware of a program at the Junior College level in Ventura County. If you graduate from high school in Ventura County you can attend Ventura, Oxnard, or Moorpark College for the 1st year and not have to pay tuition or other fees. Normaly the cost of fees, tuition, to attend full time for California Junior College averages about $640 a year. In comparison the California State University system would average $3,600 a year while the University of California system would cost $8,000 a year in fees and tuition. Prices are for legal California residents that have established residency for at least a year's time. Prices listed do not include text books and materials fees, or living expenses that you may have. One thing that you may think about is to establish residency, complete your first 2 years at a Junior College and transfer to the 4 year school. Transfer students to a Cal State school that have completed the first 2 years at a Junior college in California have Number One priority over all other transfer students. The best part is that no one has to know that you did the first 2 years at a Junior College. Just a thought.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 AM

If I was to establish my residency after a year, and then go into a college would I be able to receive the cal grant? Or is it only for students going straight in after high school?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,437,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
If I was to establish my residency after a year, and then go into a college would I be able to receive the cal grant? Or is it only for students going straight in after high school?
You are not eligible. One of the requirements is that you are a California resident when you graduate high school. I assume you are graduating high school in Florida, which automatically makes you not able to get the Cal Grant.

Also, getting residency is not the easy, especially for a kid fresh out of high school (which I think you are). It is easier for someone in their 20's. Residency often takes 2 years for most people to establish due to the finanical independence rule. It can be done in 1 year, but this is usually people in their 20's who have been working a few years and have enough saved up.

Here is what you need to do to be a California resident for tuition purposes:
1. Citizenship: You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident

2. Physical Presence: You must remain physically present in California 365 days (one year) before the term in which you are applying as a resident

3. Intent (the tough one): You must have come here with the intent to make California your home as opposed to coming to this state to go to school. Physical presence within the state solely for educational purposes does not constitute the establishment of California residence, regardless of the length of your stay. You must demonstrate your intention to make California your home by severing your residential ties with your former state of residence and establishing those ties with California. If these steps are delayed, the one year duration period will be extended until you have demonstrated both presence and intent for one full year.

****Intent is the tough one. This means your parents CAN NOT claim you on their taxes and YOU must pay for tuition ALL on your own. Basically your parents can't support you financially any more. You must make enough income at a job IN California to prove that you will be able to handle the cost of tuition at the university. If you make $10,000 a year and the cost of the university you are attending is $18,000 you need to prove you got enough grants, etc... to cover the remaining $8,000. Also, remember you will be living in the most expensive state in the country. If you get some job at Starbucks and make $14,000 a year, almost ALL your income will be going just toward rent to live here (because your parents can't pay for your apartment) and you will have nothing left in your savings for university tuition.

Good luck, but this is a very complex process designed to discourage those who just want to come to CA for school and the return to another state. They really want you to prove CA will be your new home after college. I hope you are ready to be financially independent of your parents.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM

thank you for the great information...this makes me totally re-think my intention of moving out there...although I would want to make california my permanent home, it sounds like it would be too hard for me to do that during college. Staying in Florida sounds like it would be the smart decision for me, especially since Florida Bright Futures pays for 75% of my college tuition, and for the remaining 25% I have Florida pre-paid, which my parents have been paying since I was born. I would love to live in California, but maybe that can wait. I like Florida too so it's not like it will be agonizing. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles