Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

Pretty much anywhere in Los Angeles and you'll be fine. I know a gay (males) couple in Burbank with a 4 year old and they are doing fine.

My recomendations for a gay couple raising a child who want diversity:

Burbank
Studio City
Sherman Oaks
Encino
Woodland Hills
Tarzana
West LA
Hollywood
West Hollywood
Torrance
Manhattan Beach
Redondo Beach
Marina Del Rey
Toluca Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Long Beach would be a great place. Not as wierd for a child as West Hollywood or something. Better family atmosphere while being friendly to people of different ethnicities, sexualities, etc

Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
The Palm Springs area has a huge gay population. I don't know about the school system though.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 69,663 times
Los Angeles is culturally diverse and generally accepting. Woodland Hills is a suburban area of Los Angeles, lots of families and things for families to do. I'm not sure if you plan to buy or lease to get a sense of areas, but we have a 1 year new home that we are looking to lease to a great family. There is a gay couple on our street who's nephew is living in the house and there is also single gay man on our street. It's a small, gated community near virtually everything you could possibly want.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,696 times
i third Long Beach. I'm not sure about the school system though, but then again I'm not really sure about any school system in southern california anymore. However, for a gay couple, it's great. Accepting community, lots of businesses are gay-owned and are involed with charity, etc. I think you'll be ok anywhere in southern california close to the water or close to LA. (I know this is a generalization. I'm just trying to narrow it a little for you). Good luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Look into Burbank. The schools are pretty good and after speaking with my friends who are gay dads they mentioned that they meet regularly with a group of other gay parents in Burbank and say its wonderful.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I had a gay friend who lived in Hermosa Beach and I've met many of his friends. From what they all told me all the beach cities (Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan, etc.) are very gay friendly and have lots of gays.

I'm not of that persuasion myself but from what I could see they were all having a pretty good time, and the beach areas are well known for their party atmosphere. I'd recommend you look in the beach cities.

Oh, one thing. L.A. is not very homophobic. You'll probably be accepted wherever you go. We Angelinos are very tolerant of different lifestyles.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:40 AM

167 posts, read 453,404 times
My advice would be Temecula. LOTS of REO properties and the best schools in the state. Excellent weather. ONly thing is that employment might be a problem. Alot of people commute to San Diego. Look at: REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale. or Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps Put in the city and state you want. Call a realtor in the area you would like to live in and find out how expensive it is. California is very expensive to live in.

I think no matter where you live in California, it would be gay friendly.

West Hollywood is gay friendly from what I hear but very expensive to live. Go by the area you can afford and jobs are plentifful.

Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:02 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Default The GLBT couple that MAY have your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchel View Post
My partner and I are thinking of moving to CA what is a nice gay friendly area to raise a child with schools that are very diverse
Hey kimchel...
We are a gay couple looking to adopt. We have done our research extensively. This is the list we came up with.

LA area: Westhills or Chatsworth
Sacramento: Davis or Shingle Springs
Bay Area: Daly City or Antioch
North of the Bay: Healdsburgh or Santa Rosa area

Do not....I repeat DO NOT consider San Diego! It's very conservative. There have been a lot of issues of school bullying of children in the GLBT community. Trust me... AVOID SAN DIEGO! Our friends that have children in SD say the school system ignores the complaints of GLBT issues! They get bullied and teased every day. They are moving to LA b/c of the situation. They filed a law suit against the SD school district. It's just a horrible situation there for the GLBT community.

The areas above that I've mentioned are they best for school, crime rate, affordable housing, and GLBT Community and Families.

Start in those area!
Good Luck my GLBT Friends!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,341 times
Hey! I'm from the San Gabriel Valley, and I travel to LA/West Hollywood/Long Beach frequently. I just wanted to let you know that no matter where you decided to end up living, no matter how conservative the area is, you will always be able to find youth activists working to make a change. I grew up in a heteronormative community, and when I learned about a lot of the oppressions that affect our societies, I wanted to spark a change in my school and city. Personally, I don't think the most important point of being raised in a diverse culture is to naturally accept people of all ethnic and sexual backgrounds; rather, I feel that it's to consciously understand why it is necessary, while remembering that society is not always as accepting.

Long Beach is definitely a progressive area, though! Keep in mind that they do so much peace-related activism because there are gangs and other miscellaneous violence in Long Beach. Two of my friends currently reside in the Mar Vista/Culver City/Santa Monica area, which is also very LGBTQ-friendly. School-wise, San Gabriel Valley schools are pretty nice. The Los Angeles High School for the Arts is definitely a diverse high school to attend, seeing as you get a lot of the ethnic diversity you lack in certain suburban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles