Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
ooooh

Also look into Westwood or Brentwood. I know Keyshawn Johnson had a place and restaurant on Wilshire around there. Ving Rhames and Anita Pointer live around there too.
Jay, the same thing, I don't think her income level will put her in Westwood or Brentwood, in fact I am almost sure it won't. I think Pasadena will be her best bet. She did say she wants a mixed neighborhood. Burbank would be fine area wise and price wise, but even it is not going to be mixed much.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 20,462 times
I will visit these areas before I finally relocate. I am flexible, wherever I feel a good vibe is where I'd live. I like Burbank (vacation stay) , I'd visit Pasadena, Long beach and maybe 2 other areas before I make a decision. School is important, I may have my kid in private school. My family will help with school tuition.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumtree2003 View Post
I will visit these areas before I finally relocate. I am flexible, wherever I feel a good vibe is where I'd live. I like Burbank (vacation stay) , I'd visit Pasadena, Long beach and maybe 2 other areas before I make a decision. School is important, I may have my kid in private school. My family will help with school tuition.
actually most of those areas have good and bad schools. You may be able to put your child in public school regardless of the place you choose.

Nita

Old 06-20-2009, 07:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I may be wrong, but I think Los Angeles may be more segregated than either Dallas, London or NYC.

<snip>

I noticed Todd mentioned Glendale and Burbank, I don't think of them as racially mixed at all.

Nita
How long has it been since you lived in LA? The reason I ask is because the demographics of a lot of areas changed a lot during the housing boom. I know several blacks (families, couples and singles) who live in Burbank and Glendale.

I think the census figures for 2010 are going to show an increase in the black population in several areas around Los Angeles and perhaps a decrease in the "traditional" areas.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
How long has it been since you lived in LA? The reason I ask is because the demographics of a lot of areas changed a lot during the housing boom. I know several blacks (families, couples and singles) who live in Burbank and Glendale.

I think the census figures for 2010 are going to show an increase in the black population in several areas around Los Angeles and perhaps a decrease in the "traditional" areas.
Lived there or visited there, two different things. I haven't lived there in many years, my family (a few of them) still live in Glendale and Pasadena and my best friend or one of them lives in Glendale. I am not going to say, NO BLacks, but they are certainly very few in Glendale. Burbank probably is a little different, still I wouldn't call either really racially mixed. This does not mean there are no blacks, just not completely mixed.

Nita

Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Lived there or visited there, two different things. I haven't lived there in many years, my family (a few of them) still live in Glendale and Pasadena and my best friend or one of them lives in Glendale. I am not going to say, NO BLacks, but they are certainly very few in Glendale. Burbank probably is a little different, still I wouldn't call either really racially mixed. This does not mean there are no blacks, just not completely mixed.

Nita
Well, I don't think Burbank or Glendale are going to come in (in the census) with 20%+ black, but I think it will be more significant than what was reported in the 2000 census.

In Burbank, most of the blacks I've met are either professionals of some sort or they are with the entertainment/music industries. (Will Smith used to live there before he got huge.) Glendale is similar though Glendale is bigger and it has more variety all the way around.

The place with the highest percentage of blacks in this area is Altadena.

They are all good places to live. I guess it just depends on where you find the better schools and the best place for the $$$.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:22 AM

709 posts, read 1,767,342 times
If she wants to move to a city with a very high percentage of Blacks so that she won't feel racially isolated, than she should move to Compton.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Well, I don't think Burbank or Glendale are going to come in (in the census) with 20%+ black, but I think it will be more significant than what was reported in the 2000 census.

In Burbank, most of the blacks I've met are either professionals of some sort or they are with the entertainment/music industries. (Will Smith used to live there before he got huge.) Glendale is similar though Glendale is bigger and it has more variety all the way around.

The place with the highest percentage of blacks in this area is Altadena.

They are all good places to live. I guess it just depends on where you find the better schools and the best place for the $$$.
I guess that is my point. See seems to want an area that is very racially mixed so she won't feel uncomfortable but wants good schools and a good community. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, I was just a little surprised to see someone mention Glendale particularly. I love Altadena, we lived there way back when and the homes, still are beautiful. I just wonder about the school situation. Of course she has mentioned private schools, that would make a difference.

Whatever happens, I hope she can find what she wants and is happy.

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 AM

76 posts, read 357,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
If she wants to move to a city with a very high percentage of Blacks so that she won't feel racially isolated, than she should move to Compton.

Are you saying that the only area with a significant Black population is Compton??? I guess you never heard of Ladera Heights,Baldwin Hills,Windsor Hills-view Park all upper middle class majority Black areas.Not to mention racially mixed areas with a Black prescence,Westchester or Culver City.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-22-2009 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: I understand your frustration, but please don't tell others not to comment -- thanks.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 100,648 times
What about Woodland Hills,CA everyone has been telling me that is a good place to live and raise children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles