Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 20,458 times

Advertisements

Originally from England, London moved to Dallas about 9 years ago. I haven't felt comfortable in Dallas as I do while visiting LA and New York, I have decided to relocate to Los Angeles or its surrounding by the end of this year. I am a black single mom so multicultural/ diverse neighbourhood (Like London and NY) is important to me. Do you know any county/city in South California that has low crime and good schools for my 10 year old? My rental budget is $2k/ mth for a one or two bedroom apartment. Also being single I'd like to mingle, any nice spots(such as pubs, etc) to hang out other than the tourist attractions? Financially, I make about $4K a month (sometimes 5k) as self employed, my plan is to commute(fly) to Dallas once a month sometimes once every 2 months. Thanks

Last edited by plumtree2003; 06-18-2009 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM

64 posts, read 184,048 times
Most neigborhoods in LA are more or less multicultural. Just to throw out some neighborhoods that might fit your criteria:

Burbank, Pasadena, Studio City, Silver Lake, Hollywood (some areas of it), Glendale, Valley Village...

I don't know about the school system, you need to research that.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 AM

785 posts, read 1,049,721 times
I lived in Long Beach and I really liked it. It has everything that your looking for, espcially the multicultural part, except low crime; however, LB isn't as dangerous as some people make it out to be. Also, if you're earning between $4k-$5k a month, you should be able to afford to live in a safe area of Long Beach; I'd guess that most people living in the hood in LB make about half of that or even less.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:14 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
If I were you, I would look into Marina Del Rey. It has some nice condos and it's multicultural.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumtree2003 View Post
I'd like to mingle, any nice spots(such as pubs, etc)

low crime and good schools for my 10 year old?
rental budget is $2k/ mth for a one or two bedroom apartment.
I make about $4K a month
(fly) to Dallas once a month sometimes once every 2 months.

With no trips to Dallas, your rent budget is 50% if your income.
Let's say two round trips (mom and kid) to Dallas is about $500; Now that is 62% of your income; $1000/month if twice a month (75% of your income).

Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumtree2003 View Post
Originally from England, London moved to Dallas about 9 years ago. I haven't felt comfortable in Dallas as I do while visiting LA and New York, I have decided to relocate to Los Angeles or its surrounding by the end of this year. I am a black single mom so multicultural/ diverse neighbourhood (Like London and NY) is important to me. Do you know any county/city in South California that has low crime and good schools for my 10 year old? My rental budget is $2k/ mth for a one or two bedroom apartment. Also being single I'd like to mingle, any nice spots(such as pubs, etc) to hang out other than the tourist attractions? Financially, I make about $4K a month (sometimes 5k) as self employed, my plan is to commute(fly) to Dallas once a month sometimes once every 2 months. Thanks
what makes you feel uncomfortable about Dallas and why do you think things will be different in Los Angelse? I don't mean to sound negative, but NY and London are very different from Los Angeles. I may be wrong, but I think Los Angeles may be more segregated than either Dallas, London or NYC. I lived in Dallas and have lived many years in Los Angeles. I found the burbs of Dallas to be very racially mixed. I haven't lived in NY, but have always felt the same about the city.

I noticed Todd mentioned Glendale and Burbank, I don't think of them as racially mixed at all. Pasadana and Silver lake maybe, but you have to think about the school system and proximity to airports. If you really are certain this would be a good move for you, I would suggest Pasadena or Long Beach. When I mentioned most areas are not that racially mixed I had forgotten about those two. Another area, but it is Los Angeles schools would be Baldwin Hills.

Jay suggested Marina Del Ray, I do not think your income would cut it there. Another possible area would be Monrovia. Just remember, none of Los Angeles is going to be like London or NYC>

Nita

Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 20,458 times
Thanks for all your comments. I will look into the areas mentioned carefully. I agree LA is different from NY and London. I will go for the experience, however long it last. Notthing against Dallas I have relatives back here. I
just need a change. When I first arrived in Dallas it was a culture shock, it took me a long time to adjust and I think I am still adjusting.
My kid will not accompany me on business trips to Dallas. My travel/ expenses are paid by my company. I will also work from my LA home.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Well Burbank is probably the best in terms of quality of school district/low crime/ affordability in your price range/location to night life/location to airport(and way easier to use than LAX).

The problem will be that you will likely be one of the very few African American families in the area. If that does not bother you, you should be fine.

If it does bother you, I'd suggest that Pasadena might be more to your liking. But the schools there do not rank well. Pasadena is one of the most ethnically mixed cities in the world. It's still fairly close(20-30 minute drive) to Burbank Airport.

Both Burbank and Pasadena have pretty active nightlife in their downtown areas and both are pretty nice. A two bedroom should set you back $1400-1700 in either city.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Well Burbank is probably the best in terms of quality of school district/low crime/ affordability in your price range/location to night life/location to airport(and way easier to use than LAX).

The problem will be that you will likely be one of the very few African American families in the area. If that does not bother you, you should be fine.

If it does bother you, I'd suggest that Pasadena might be more to your liking. But the schools there do not rank well. Pasadena is one of the most ethnically mixed cities in the world. It's still fairly close(20-30 minute drive) to Burbank Airport.

Both Burbank and Pasadena have pretty active nightlife in their downtown areas and both are pretty nice. A two bedroom should set you back $1400-1700 in either city.
I would guess at least $1400-1700..

Nita

Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Jay suggested Marina Del Ray, I do not think your income would cut it there.
Nita
ooooh

Also look into Westwood or Brentwood. I know Keyshawn Johnson had a place and restaurant on Wilshire around there. Ving Rhames and Anita Pointer live around there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles