Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM

9 posts, read 37,931 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Culver City. We need housing for about 2-3 months before we settle into something more permanent...so our options for apartments are limited. Has anyone heard of Playa del Oro apartments (I think adress is 8601 Lincoln near LAX?)? Opinions? Is the area walkable and safe? We have a 7 month old daughter; I would like to be able to walk to coffee shops, restaurants, shopping, etc during the day with her.

We'd like to find something under $3000 so if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be very grateful! We need to stay within about a 15-20 min drive (with traffic) from southern Culver City. TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM

122 posts, read 539,392 times
While I'm not familiar with Playa del Oro apartments, why not try something in Culver City? Downtown does have restaurants, theaters, and coffee shops (the Conservatory, though not in the heart of downtown Culver, is probably one of the best coffee spots on the Westside in my opinion). Trader Joes is near by as well.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris112 View Post
Has anyone heard of Playa del Oro apartments (I think adress is 8601 Lincoln near LAX?)? Opinions? Is the area walkable and safe?
I don't know about the specific apartments, but the area is reasonably diverse and safe for the most part. However, the corner of Manchester and Lincoln is a very heavily traveled thoroughfare with lots of car noise and congestion during morning and evening drive time. I believe there is also some major construction going on in that area right now.

I think you could find better options in Marina del Rey and Culver City.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM

76 posts, read 357,185 times
Are those the new luxury apartments being built on Lincoln. While the area is safe that intersection is very busy. Have you tried further west? I had a friend who rented from the luxury apts on Pershing and those were very nice.Culver City is also an option as well.I don't think you can go wrong with either area.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 37,931 times
Thank you for the ideas. We would love to end up in Culver city, if possible.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 25,584 times
I am in Westchester and I have been here for about 5 years and I really like the area.
It is close to where I work in the marina and it doesn't take long to drive anywhere, Culver City seems like a 5 minute drive ha.
I personally have not felt threatened, everything is really close by to me, neighbors are nice in my condo area.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Well, it may be ok for temporary housing. I mean the facility itself looks pretty nice. But you are right on the corner of two busy streets (Lincoln & Manchester). And LAX is in your backyard. How are you with airport and road noise? That may make it more difficult for you and your child to sleep well at night. LAX is a very large international airport with a lot of air traffic. Unlike other cities whose international airports have larger buffers between the air strip and homes, LAX sits right in the middle of many residential neighborhoods. It is pretty overbuilt/overcrowed IMO.

You may want to look a bit further from the airport. Since you said only 2-3 months then you could probably live with almost anything that short term. But I would prefer somewhere a little nicer/more quiet especially with young children.

Your larger question will be where do you guys want to live longer term. Once you are out here you will be free to explore the neighborhoods yourself to make your decisions regarding your likes/dislikes. For families El Segundo is a nice small town with good schools. Unlike the rest of the areas near LAX El Segundo is not LA Unified which is pretty bad. Unless you choose private schools the areas school districts will play a siginificant role in your decision. And even then the public schools still do effect neighborhoods for better or worse.

That is also why some families choose to live and commute from further away.

* Edit: Culver City does have its own school district. There had been some gang problems in the past, Culver City Boyz. I don't know if this has gotten any better or worse lately. That is something you can research yourselves.

Derek

Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, it may be ok for temporary housing. I mean the facility itself looks pretty nice. But you are right on the corner of two busy streets (Lincoln & Manchester). And LAX is in your backyard. How are you with airport and road noise? That may make it more difficult for you and your child to sleep well at night. LAX is a very large international airport with a lot of air traffic. Unlike other cities whose international airports have larger buffers between the air strip and homes, LAX sits right in the middle of many residential neighborhoods. It is pretty overbuilt/overcrowed IMO.

You may want to look a bit further from the airport. Since you said only 2-3 months then you could probably live with almost anything that short term. But I would prefer somewhere a little nicer/more quiet especially with young children.

Your larger question will be where do you guys want to live longer term. Once you are out here you will be free to explore the neighborhoods yourself to make your decisions regarding your likes/dislikes. For families El Segundo is a nice small town with good schools. Unlike the rest of the areas near LAX El Segundo is not LA Unified which is pretty bad. Unless you choose private schools the areas school districts will play a siginificant role in your decision. And even then the public schools still do effect neighborhoods for better or worse.

That is also why some families choose to live and commute from further away.

* Edit: Culver City does have its own school district. There had been some gang problems in the past, Culver City Boyz. I don't know if this has gotten any better or worse lately. That is something you can research yourselves.

Derek

I have lived in Westchester for the last seven years and I rarely even notice the airplanes. Believe me after a couple of weeks you won't even hear the planes.As far as the schools my son attends our local elementary school and I have nothing but positive things to say. In fact, 90% of my neighbors who send their kids to the local public elementary school have nothing but good things to say.Now,the high school that it a whole different story. However,now we have options with magnet and charter schools nearby. I would consider all three areas family areas with Culver City slightly less so than the others. Is there are reason you have selected that apartment building? Drive through the areas and take a look at what is going, that is the best way to guage an area.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieC View Post
I have lived in Westchester for the last seven years and I rarely even notice the airplanes. Believe me after a couple of weeks you won't even hear the planes.As far as the schools my son attends our local elementary school and I have nothing but positive things to say. In fact, 90% of my neighbors who send their kids to the local public elementary school have nothing but good things to say.Now,the high school that it a whole different story. However,now we have options with magnet and charter schools nearby. I would consider all three areas family areas with Culver City slightly less so than the others. Is there are reason you have selected that apartment building? Drive through the areas and take a look at what is going, that is the best way to guage an area.
This is interesting to hear from parents there now. I know they used to have forced busing years ago which seemed to be problematic. A friend of mine grew up in Westchester and saw things get worse over the years. LA Unified has not had a good reputation. But maybe it is turning around now.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This is interesting to hear from parents there now. I know they used to have forced busing years ago which seemed to be problematic. A friend of mine grew up in Westchester and saw things get worse over the years. LA Unified has not had a good reputation. But maybe it is turning around now.

As of now there is no forced bussing so much,but the majority of high school students don't live in the area.My son just finished kinder so I have a long time before I need to think about that.As far as the middle school I do see it improving more kids from the area are going there and test scores are up. If it continues I will more than likely send my son there.Westchester schools are also now a part of I division which gives them more autonomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles