Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Some of the posters are right that Inglewood is mostly a middle class kind of community, but it has some areas that qualify as slums complete with rundown housing, gang activity and open drug dealing. As much as me and other folks bag on Santa Ana in OC, for example, there is no neighborhood in SA anywhere near as bad off as certain parts of Inglewood.
Obviously you've never visited, let alone lived in a slum, because you wouldn't be making such inane and outlandish statements.

Yes, there are some seedy and less than desirable areas, but one is to expect that in a city/urbanized area...but slum?! You lost all credibility with that one, Rob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
i am another person that has to say that inglewood is not the hood or the ghetto or the slum. does it have some less than desirable areas and elements? YES.

but the majority of the city is a decent place.

lets not forget that inglewood was a very lily white area that enacted housing covnenants denying blacks the right to buy houses there. it startes as a very nice area, guarded by white folks that didnt want black folk moving in. once they did, the whites left. but the blacks moving in were no different than the whites that left. they were still MIDDLE class.

during the 80's lots of APTs were built where houses stood or where businesses stood. this created densely populated pockets. but the city still retained a suburban feel small town feel.

the 90's were tough on it, as on alot of other LA area cities. but the city has sought to rebound from a reputation that is more scary than its reality.

inglewood is a nice place. it has its patches of ugly, but its looking to change that. and for that it is beign recognized by the Natl Civic League.

heres a list of other finalists for the awards

Phoenix, Arizona
Windsor Heights, Iowa
Toledo, Ohio
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Wichita, Kansas
Wooster, Ohio
Inglewood, California
Pocomoke City, Maryland
Toledo, Oregon
Rancho Cordova, California
Rockville, Maryland
Erie, Pennsylvania
Windsor, Colorado
Salisbury, Maryland
Providence, Rhode Island
Tampa, Florida
Somerville, Massachusetts
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Bensenville, Illinois
Belton, Missouri
Rowlett, Texas
Carbondale, Illinois
Albany, New York
Caroline County, Virginia
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Benson, North Carolina
Richmond, Indiana
Kinston, North Carolina
South Bend, Indiana
Clinton, North Carolina
Des Moines, Iowa
Statesville, North Carolina

Old 09-19-2009, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,278 times
Well i actually live in Inglewood . Don't believe any of these idiots who drove through Inglewood in a car and wanna judge how bad it is.

Gangs still roam around the neighborhood and they carry weapons. Just ask any of the Police officers working in the city. Heck there was a shooting in front of Inglewood High School the first day i went there. Even though i have run into alot of tight situations i kinda like living here. Not to mention ive lost 2 friends in the past year and a half due to gang violence. R.I.P.

It may not be as bad as it was in the 80's and 90's but gangs still exist in the city as much as people don't wanna believe, its true.

Inglewood is planning on making a comeback though, ill give it that.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALove24 View Post
I think Inglewood has come one heck of a long way over the past 25 years. Someone needs to study this carefully and figure out how to apply lessons learned to other troubled communities.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:45 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Pic 1: The house my Dad grew up in.
Pic 2: The house my Mom grew up in.
Pic 3: The house I lived in from age 0 to 5.

These three homes but especially the one your Dad grew up in remind me of many homes here in San Mateo County. If you put a caption under the one your Dad was in that said "South San Francisco" or even "San Carlos" people would believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles