Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:57 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times

Advertisements

I had a women come onto my property one morning. She walked all the way to the back of my property (which is very long) and was digging through my trash cans. She was looking for cans, bottles, etc. but I told her to hit the road and if she did not I would call the cops and do not come here again. I did this because first of all I do not want some stranger coming on my property. Would if she saw something left out and decided to come back and steal it. I mean really. The guy has a point. The man is trespassing and I don't let anyone trespass on my property and don't want anyone on my property.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Well if it is by chance someone stealing identity, and not a homeless person, I would say thump him over the head and watch the garbage truck compact him into a little crushed cube of dead thief

I hate thieves and having your identity stolen sucks. I think punishment for this should be equal to rapists and murderers.
Dead by chainsaw possibly, or something from the Saw movies, gotta be brutal because thieves are the bottom of the scum.
OMGoodness. You crack me up. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:58 PM

723 posts, read 1,633,824 times
It seems to me that you are paying a price to live in a secured community. It is management's responsibility to make sure you are getting what you paid for and is on your contract. Unfortunately, California renters/tenant laws usually favor the landlord, even when they favor the tenant.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:21 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
oh (hand to forehead) the problems of the privileged subarbanites

i thought the beef with this would be the mess it creates. not that they were "stealing". and anyone who throws sensitive material away, withouth shredding or burning or ommitting vital information...deserves their identity stolen.

they never go through my dumpsters. we have a seperate blue bin. they open it up and see that all there is, is newspaper and cardboard. they aint lookng for that.

they mosey on down the street. no big deal.
Do you pay taxes? All of the recyclable materials picked up by contracts with the blue bins the City gets a cut of and that money goes into the general fund. The same general fund used to pay high priced City employees like fire and police. I have an issue with people stealing material our hood puts into the blue bins because every can they steal is less money going into the general fund and on hard times like now it is the TAX PAYER who picks up the difference in the City employee pensions.
But I'm sure you already knew that

Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,430 times
I am a proud diver who frequents commercial and residential dumpsters on a regular basis. I am surprised to find so many people who throw away unused check books. Whenever I find them, I rip them up, even if it takes extra time that I would rather spend digging. I also am a firm believer in leaving the trash area better-looking than I found it. If it is really gross, I might just leave it. However, I never leave it worse. While I understand the frustration with those who have left messes, or much worse, stolen identities, please consider that the best of dumpster divers are helping to reduce the amount of mass contribution to land fills. It would be nice if us friendly green trash pickers could somehow receive some sort of city-registered "Dumpster Diver Certificate," and a little green hat, after going through a trash pickers etiquette course and signing an agreement. Yeah! That is a very good idea. In addition to that, we could have separate recycle bins for reusable items.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:38 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I live in a gated community where you need a card to swipe to get in. It's not cheap and it's in a nice part of town (San Gabriel Valley, I'll leave it at that). My neighbors and apartment complex tenants are all respectful people.

I walk to throw my trash out this morning to find a man in his mid 30's knee deep in our dumpster ripping through our bags like there is no tomorrow. I told him to get the Moderator cut: language out of there and that this is private property to which he replied muttered something Moderator cut: that I didn't understand and continued to go through our dumpster. I didn't throw my trash away obviously and started to call the cops, at this moment he jumped out and took off, hopping our gated entry.

This is the 3rd time I've seen dumpster divers in my complex and the first time I've confronted one. I'm sick and tired of these low lives who are stealing property that is NOT theirs. I moved here because it is a great area and property but these idiots come from far away to steal our trash and possibly our identities (I shred everything).

What else can I do besides call the cops which doesn't work because by the time they arrive the guy is long gone?

Personally, seeing someone like that, I'd think about how fortunate I am not to be the person who has a need whatsoever to dumpster dive, and I'd thank God for that. I feel bad for the people who do it. If it's a safety concern, I'd just call the police. But most people don't "dumpster dive" for fun. Unless this is one of those "freegans" that is doing it, in which case I'd just call the cops.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-28-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: The personal comment isn't necessary -- thanks.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Personally, seeing someone like that, I'd think about how fortunate I am not to be the person who has a need whatsoever to dumpster dive, and I'd thank God for that. I feel bad for the people who do it. If it's a safety concern, I'd just call the police. But most people don't "dumpster dive" for fun. Unless this is one of those "freegans" that is doing it, in which case I'd just call the cops.
Why would you call the cops in the freegans? This is not a rhetorical question. I really do want to know. I don't know much about them.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM

241 posts, read 939,626 times
few of these divers bring a ghetto like area or a piece of the ghetto to some of these more upscale suburban places that can be far away. Unless they make lots of noise then no real problem.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callynth View Post
Why would you call the cops in the freegans? This is not a rhetorical question. I really do want to know. I don't know much about them.
Well, if it were a gated community they'd be trespassing. I don't like the freegans. They are not homeless people trying to survive. Most of them are spoiled brats from middle to upper-middle class backgrounds that are going through their little rebellious "socially aware" phase and use freeganism to fight "the system", not because they are hungry. Most of them are ne'er-do-wells and punks who I wouldn't want poking around near my home for anything, because they lack courtesy and morals when they think they are in the right. Plus, they push their activity as something good, but it's not, it sets a very, very bad example. People get very sick from freeganism.

If it were an actual homeless person trying to survive, I think I'd give him some food and try to direct him somewhere for help. If I even had a mean thought about someone who was homeless and picking through garbage to survive I'd feel very bad about it.

Anyway, freegans usually go for supermarket dumpsters, not residential, so it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM

22 posts, read 93,114 times
Guess what, I got a buddy thats a P.I. and he does this often to get info on his subjects. It's not only ghetto bums or I.D. theives that dive. He does alot of work for workmans comp. and you'd be amazed at some of the stuff he *digs* up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles