Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 24,048 times

Advertisements

I plan on going to College to become an RN, then get a specialty in Surgical Nursing. My question is, as a REGULAR RN with NO specialty can you make it? and what about WITH a specialty?

I plan on living in either pasadena, monrovia, arcadia...you know places near those cities........will i be able to afford a home in those cities with an RN salary?

Also just being curious--its not where i wanna move im just curious: Will a nurse be able to rent a home or apartment near a beach? Maybe newport or huntington...will a nurse beable to afford an apartment or home very close to the beach? maybe like 1-3 blocks away?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 AM

32 posts, read 583,590 times
With the average salary of 50-75k a year? No beachhouse for you. to be honest nursing sucks, if you're getting into it for the money you're never going to make it, and specially not into the ranks of getting the high paying jobs.
the best compensated nurses are nurse anesthetist they make 160K/yr on average and the top 25 percent make over 200 grand/yr.. If you ever make it that far then you would be able to live near a beach. But just remember you won't be able to live on the high horse, but you can have a comfortable life.. maybe near a beach if you put in the massive effort.
Surgical nursing is not the way to go if you wanna earn alot of the green stuff.. They don't make that much more than plain nurses because it isn't as competative as anesthesia and other fields where ALOT of people are competing for VERY FEW spots.
Glad I got out of that profession before it was too late but if you actually like it and wanna make enough to live near the beach don't expect to beable to own property in those areas, rental might be the answer here.
I tried the same route and its hard work which will take years, not worth it to go into the field because of madeup plans of living in a specific area.

All I'm saying is specialty has NOTHING to do with how much you will make as a nurse, they are not doctors, there will always be a doc who can do the work of a surgical nurse or any other specialty field, expect the nursing itself. If you wanna work somewhat independently, make good money and live a good life you need to aim towards either becoming a nurse practitioner or nurse anesthetist..

Last edited by nsk123; 06-30-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
The information posted by nsk123 is significantly wrong. There are many apartments in Huntington Beach within walking distance of the beach for $1200 a month or less. I pm'ed op a link proving it.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsk123 View Post
With the average salary of 50-75k a year? No beachhouse for you. to be honest nursing sucks, if you're getting into it for the money you're never going to make it, and specially not into the ranks of getting the high paying jobs.
the best compensated nurses are nurse anesthetist they make 160K/yr on average and the top 25 percent make over 200 grand/yr.. If you ever make it that far then you would be able to live near a beach. But just remember you won't be able to live on the high horse, but you can have a comfortable life.. maybe near a beach if you put in the massive effort.
Surgical nursing is not the way to go if you wanna earn alot of the green stuff.. They don't make that much more than plain nurses because it isn't as competative as anesthesia and other fields where ALOT of people are competing for VERY FEW spots.
Glad I got out of that profession before it was too late but if you actually like it and wanna make enough to live near the beach don't expect to beable to own property in those areas, rental might be the answer here.
I tried the same route and its hard work which will take years, not worth it to go into the field because of madeup plans of living in a specific area.

All I'm saying is specialty has NOTHING to do with how much you will make as a nurse, they are not doctors, there will always be a doc who can do the work of a surgical nurse or any other specialty field, expect the nursing itself. If you wanna work somewhat independently, make good money and live a good life you need to aim towards either becoming a nurse practitioner or nurse anesthetist..

i mean, i can clearly tell you have no clue what you are talking about. 1) no one said i was doing nursing for the "money". ive always wanted to be in the nursing fiend ever since middle school. & if i was in the field for "money" i def would not go into surgical nursing....use your head a little. & just read the reponse below you im not trying to be rude, but dont post when you dont really know what you are talking about.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLER626 View Post
i mean, i can clearly tell you have no clue what you are talking about. 1) no one said i was doing nursing for the "money". ive always wanted to be in the nursing fiend ever since middle school. & if i was in the field for "money" i def would not go into surgical nursing....use your head a little. & just read the reponse below you im not trying to be rude, but dont post when you dont really know what you are talking about.
oh and i forgot to metion my aunt is a nurse making 85k+ working in pasadena a year so idk where you go 75 k....

Old 07-01-2009, 01:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I say go for it. Not sure what some are thinking that you can't make it as a nurse on the pay. The pay is very good and will only get better as the population ages. Starting pay for a recent RN grad is $28 at our hospital. Lets look at that though. You will work a 12 hour shift for 3 days. We have an inhouse registry where a nurse can work additional days at double the normal pay. Many will work there 3 12's and then work 2 additional shifts. So now that $28 pay increases to $56 an hour and your making $2,342 a week or for a 48 work week year with 4 weeks of vacation you now have a pretax income of $116,448. Our hospital also offers a $5,000 retention bonus every 6 months, bringing that total to $126,448 in possible pay for a 5 day 60 hour work week. Lets say you move into the ICU, CCU, NICU or Cath Lab. All of those have additional increases in pay. For example our Cathlab nurses start at $40 an hour. ICU has a $5.00 additional pay increase. Also with some diciplines like the Cath Lab, Cardiac Center they have on call pay of $8.00 an hour. Where else can you work and get paid to sit at home? Spend time working the floors lets say for a 4 or 5 year period and get your BSN and you could end up in a management position. Pay isn't too bad. One manager I know brings home around $128,000 without working all that time. She works a 40 hour week. All I know is most of our nurses drive some nice cars and yes many live at the beach. One thing is you won't be a new nurse for long and within a few years the pay will increase. Remember I am talking first year pay and not increases. A new nurse is an RN 1. We have 5 levels of RN's within our facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles