Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times

Advertisements

This commute really...hurts to think about. I'm in the IE with business in OC, LA and Long Beach, along with family and friends. But I avoid commuting that far. However, if this is what it is, then Fullerton is your best bet, although it's not terribly urban in the way I suspect you'd wish. Downtown Orange is pleasant enough too. You will likely end up in such an area--someplace pleasantly suburban and, with luck, a small walkable, pedestrian-friendly square.

You could possibly check into the Newport or Huntington Beach surroundings and take the 1 into Long Beach, while taking the 55 to the 91 into Loma Linda. (Newport's not my cuppa, personally, but there are amenities...perhaps enough to persuade your friends to make the trip to visit you in OC.)

Regardless, you must invest in the FastTrack for the 91 freeway. Tolls vary, depending on the time of day, I think up to around $10 at peak. But for this commute there is no other choice. There's also another toll freeway, the 241 that feeds into the 91 and goes into Irvine. I never use it. There's still some slowdown at the interchanges and clusters (the 15, downtown Riverside, just beyond the 60). This sounds like a good professional opportunity, though, so best then to just consider the temporary hardship an investment. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 03:24 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
This commute really...hurts to think about...
You could possibly check into the Newport or Huntington Beach surroundings and take the 1 into Long Beach, while taking the 55 to the 91 into Loma Linda. (Newport's not my cuppa, personally, but there are amenities...perhaps enough to persuade your friends to make the trip to visit you in OC.)

Regardless, you must invest in the FastTrack for the 91 freeway. Tolls vary, depending on the time of day, I think up to around $10 at peak. But for this commute there is no other choice. There's also another toll freeway, the 241 that feeds into the 91 and goes into Irvine. I never use it. There's still some slowdown at the interchanges and clusters (the 15, downtown Riverside, just beyond the 60). This sounds like a good professional opportunity, though, so best then to just consider the temporary hardship an investment. Good luck.
Yes, right I forgot about the FastTrack. You are right in that it is probably a must. Although durnig rush hour I have seen it come to a screeching halt as well. But I think it is still worth the extra $. But $10 one way? Thats highway robbery!

As far as Huntington or Newport, I still think they end up being hellish commutes to Loma Linda during rush hour. IMO any coastal town is too far from LL for a daily commute = Major Pain! But some crazy ppl still do it like I did 'for a limited time.' Although I would never do it again. I had many college friends from coastal OC and they 'All' refused to do the drive. They ended up moving 'temporarily' to LL just to finish school.

Derek

Old 07-02-2009, 04:14 PM

The OP does indicate a reverse commute, so I think he'll be spared that peak rate, although working in a hospital there's no indication when he'll be heading into the IE daily. Still, it's an investment he'll have to make both ways at, I'd say, around $3-$4 each way maybe?

Too bad you'd assert the beach communities would be an unbearable difficulty. I think that would probably be the one grace for enduring the regular grind. For my part as I'm pretty familiar with the whole region, central OC it would strike me less as compromising than a feeling of being in a too-familiar environment, and I wish I could recommend someplace as dynamic as I suspect the poster desires. At least I could say being off the 91 in OC would place them relatively close to everything, if not in the mix.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Too bad you'd assert the beach communities would be an unbearable difficulty. I think that would probably be the one grace for enduring the regular grind. For my part as I'm pretty familiar with the whole region, central OC it would strike me less as compromising than a feeling of being in a too-familiar environment, and I wish I could recommend someplace as dynamic as I suspect the poster desires. At least I could say being off the 91 in OC would place them relatively close to everything, if not in the mix.
Yes, I can relate to this sentiment. I grew up at the beach and hated the thought of moving to Loma Linda as the majority of others did while attending school there. And going from 100+ degree smog filled days to lows 70s with a coastal breeze was really nice. But after spending 3-5 hours on the LA/OC/SB freeways every day I was too beat to enjoy much of anything. Sleep depravity and sheer exhaustion can really do a number on one's quality of life. I noticed how much more relaxed my classmates were when they could simply walk home after class to study vs driving 1-3+ hours depending on traffic. And I came close to falling asleep at the wheel on a number of occasions.

One of the hardest parts for students or ppl doing their clinicals is realizing this is only temporary. Even if one makes a mental assent to this idea they still feel like this is some kind of constant state while in it. And in that case the drive or living some non-ideal walkable city just seems unbearable. But then it to passes. So the key is grace under pressure and riding out the storm. Non of these options are ideal. But your goal is really what matters. The temporary housing is just that. Drive to the coast on the weekends. But keep the daily commute to something semi-livable so you or your husband don't absolutely hate it.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-02-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 36,724 times
Thanks all! All of your feedback is super helpful. We will definitely be investing in a fast track. It is true that for us this will only be a one-year situation...so even if the commuting is unpleasant and our home base is less than ideal, I think we will be able to survive just fine. The reality is that on weeknights we will probably be pretty tired and will be walking our dog, cooking or grabbing dinner, and vegetating on the couch which I'm sure can be done just as well in land is by the coast, and on the weekends we will be able to take the time to explore other places a bit more, so I'm sure it will work out. Thanks again for all your help...you have really helped us narrow down our housing search so we won't have to spend as long on our pre-move apartment search trip. Thanks! You all are the best!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 PM

If you pick Fullerton then an alternate route to Loma Linda would be the 57 to the 60 to the 215/91 to the 10. It looks less direct on a map but you avoid that 91 mess, and the toll heading through the pass. Were there zero traffic on either route you're only adding 5-10 minutes of distance using this one, but without the white-knuckle worry that you'll get jammed up in that 91 traffic mess, which is so unpredictable and absolutely frustrating when you do encounter it because there's absolutely nothing you can do and nowhere you can go. The major bottleneck on this route would be at the 57/60 interchange and that's usually more slow-and-go. Try it out at least. It usually works out better.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindzias View Post
Thanks all! All of your feedback is super helpful. We will definitely be investing in a fast track. It is true that for us this will only be a one-year situation...so even if the commuting is unpleasant and our home base is less than ideal, I think we will be able to survive just fine. The reality is that on weeknights we will probably be pretty tired and will be walking our dog, cooking or grabbing dinner, and vegetating on the couch which I'm sure can be done just as well in land is by the coast, and on the weekends we will be able to take the time to explore other places a bit more, so I'm sure it will work out. Thanks again for all your help...you have really helped us narrow down our housing search so we won't have to spend as long on our pre-move apartment search trip. Thanks! You all are the best!
Glad to help Lindzias. As an LLU Alumni I am glad that my experiences can help others making the journey out there. The Loma Linda Medical Center is really nice BTW.
Let us know how your housing search goes!

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles