Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:20 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Important Torrance Caveat:

Anything east of Western is NOT Torrance. This is a section known as Torrance PO, Harbor Gateway or L.A. Strip. So don't be fooled into finding good deals over there. It is a bad area with a lot of crime, poor schools, gangs, drug dealers, and violence. Think Other side of the tracks. It really is in this case.

Unfortunately realtors and even MLS sometimes lump this area into Torrance when it is Not. Here is the map of the Torrance City Boundries.

Also like anywhere near the coast the closer you get to the beach the more expensive, exclusive it gets. But there are still some really nice nieghborhoods several miles inland form the coast.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-11-2009 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
For those wanting to buy Torrance normally offers more bang for the buck without having to drive 1 hour+ each way. So many families go this route since the schools are generally good. And it is a nice city with good beach access, libraries, parks, shopping, etc...

Derek
It's a trade off.

A lot of the close and convenient places like Torrance and El Segundo are expensive because they are close to the beach and close to jobs. They are expensive so therefore educated people with money are buying these homes. Most likely they have smarter kids so the schools are good.

But, what does the cityscape look like in an older, semi-unplanned community?

Are there HOAs? If not, what's to prevent some dude, your next door neighbor (who bought it in 1994, see below) from parking his RV on his lawn?
Underground utilities, or ugly power lines?
Master planning?
Eye pleasing uniformity in the shopping areas, or hodge podge layouts with a restaurant next door to a car repair place next door to a preschool next door to a liquor store?
Ordinances on billboards, or anything-goes-free-for-all ugly?
Do the homes have modern design with high ceilings, big windows and three car garages?

That's why places like south OC are desirable even though it's a schlep to jobs in southern LA County or worse, El Segundo or downtown.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-11-2009 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: No direct links to real estate listings, per T.O.S.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's a trade off.

A lot of the close and convenient places like Torrance and El Segundo are expensive because they are close to the beach and close to jobs. They are expensive so therefore educated people with money are buying these homes. Most likely they have smarter kids so the schools are good.

But, what does the cityscape look like in an older, semi-unplanned community?

Are there HOAs? If not, what's to prevent some dude, your next door neighbor (who bought it in 1994, see below) from parking his RV on his lawn?
Underground utilities, or ugly power lines?
Master planning?
Eye pleasing uniformity in the shopping areas, or hodge podge layouts with a restaurant next door to a car repair place next door to a preschool next door to a liquor store?
Ordinances on billboards, or anything-goes-free-for-all ugly?
Do the homes have modern design with high ceilings, big windows and three car garages?

That's why places like south OC are desirable even though it's a schlep to jobs in southern LA County or worse, El Segundo or downtown.

It's all perspective. the "pleasing uniformity" you describe I describe as ultra sterile and boring without character and is why I find the south oc neighborhoods totally unappealing. I would much rather live somewhere without cookie cutter houses and shopping centers totally built around the car culture. When my neighbors house looks exactly the same and the frontal facade is a garage I get kind of depressed. And I would do just about anything to avoid an HOA. someone charging me to tell me how to live? I don't think so.

there are plenty of safe neighborhoods with good schools that still give you a non-soul crushing lifestyle.

But I hear you, many people have your perspective as well.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-11-2009 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Deleted link from quoted text

Old 07-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's a trade off.
Yeah, that kinda sums it up. And everyone has their preferences thats of sure.

I've lived in both types of places - those with HOAs and master planned communities vs. areas with a variety of home types and ages. For us we enjoy different aspects of both. But quality of life for me is effected much more by hours spent in daily rush vs. the neighborhood layout. I mean don't get me wrong. Of course I don't want old cars in my neighbors yards. But pride of ownership exists in many areas without the HOAs. There are alot of mid to upscale neighborhoods in the South Bay for example with nice custom homes, well laid out streets, parks and no HOAs. One of my friends lives in one just like that in Torrance with his family. They are on a cul-de-sac with a park at the end of the street. Kids are riding their bikes down the sidewalks, really nice homes and no broken down cars on the lawns.

If I wanted to live in South OC I would be lookng for work in Irvine. But most of the aerospace stuff I've seen seems closer to the stretch between Long Beach and El Segundo. Although I am sure there some satellite offices on the fringes of the cities. And that is another good way to do it. Find a stable satellite type facility or base away from the main crouds. Thats what I did here in Monterey and it is a pretty sweet setup.

But even here in Monterey we have a mixture of more planned HOA type communities and less planned areas - some of which are better layed out than others. However whichever you choose the drive is much lighter. It is so much different in fact its sometimes hard to believe.

Derek

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM

16 posts, read 59,842 times
Atwalker,

Here is my story.

I moved to SoCal many years ago and went to high school my last two years in Long Beach. I LOVE Long Beach. Always will. My mom worked in El Segundo at the time and commuted from Los Altos area of Long Beach (Bellflower & Stearns more or less) each day. Unfortunately, going north on the 405 in the morning is the wrong direction traffic-wise, as is going south in the evening, so she always caught the worst of traffic. Her commute was usually an hour, sometimes more. She HATED her commute. She would come home stressed and ready to drink every night. As soon as I graduated my folks moved to the Culver City area, where her commute to El Segundo was cut down to 10-15 minutes. She LOVES her commute now. She has been making the same 10-15 minute commute for the last 19 years.

If you have not lived in Los Angeles before, you MUST, absolutely MUST give pay SUPREME attention to how your commute will affect your life.

Now, if you live in Long Beach and work in El Segundo, you can *possibly* utilize public transportation by taking the Metro Blue Line train from downtown Long Beach and then getting on the Metro Green Line which will take you to El Segundo. You are going to HATE sitting in an hour of more or less standstill traffic TWICE a day, for possibly years on end. You can get A LOT done on the train. Sleep. Read. Study. Get job-related work done. Meditate or pray. RELAX! Whatever. Sitting in bumper-to-bumper 405 traffic twice a day every day for an hour, you can't do much, and it will NOT be relaxing IN THE LEAST.

Long Beach is a GREAT GREAT GREAT city. However, commuting to El Segundo is going to be challenging. By living in Culver City you will pay more for housing but your commute will be a piece of cake and you will NEVER be in a bad mood at work on account of traffic. NEVER. You will look forward to your commute with joy in your heart and be the envy of everyone else at your job - some of whom will be commuting from places like Palmdale and therefore hating life.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff52172 View Post
Atwalker,
If you have not lived in Los Angeles before, you MUST, absolutely MUST give pay SUPREME attention to how your commute will affect your life.
Yes, I agree 100%. Ppl not from the area tend to underestimate LA Traffic and its impact on one's daily life. It is nasty and if taken lightly is guaranteed to cause one sigificant problems. Its not about distance, but direction at well known bottlenecks.

The best way to beat it is to stay off the FWY entirely. Next best would be to travel against the flow which isn't always great. It is just better than the parking lot.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 PM

9 posts, read 36,760 times
I've read what you all have to say about living near, but how tough would a commute from La Mirada to Harbor-UCLA Hospital be? My husband is starting a new job there on the 3rd & La Mirada looks very nice. We have a 4th grader & a 2nd grader.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBoo View Post
I've read what you all have to say about living near, but how tough would a commute from La Mirada to Harbor-UCLA Hospital be? My husband is starting a new job there on the 3rd & La Mirada looks very nice. We have a 4th grader & a 2nd grader.
Harbor-UCLA is in a section of town I was referring to as Harbor Gateway which is not Torrance (rather Torrance PO).

Your best bet would be to live in the city of Torrance IMO. Take a look there as the schools are good and it is basically a family friendly town.

La Mirada is nice. I went to college there and while living in Hermosa Beach. The commute was opposite the flow of rush hour traffic. And because I was a student and made my own hours around the worst traffic it was doable. But you are talking about driving the 91 FWY in the wrong direction during rush hour. Unless he works the graveyard shift I wouldn't recommend it. That drive can become 1 hour+ during rush hour. Why do that? Don't do it to him even he says he is willing. If he is stressed out every day from the LA freeways it will impact you and your children as well.

The same advice applies living as close to work as possible in a decent neighborhood. You have many to choose from closer to work. And if you are new to the area seriously consider renting before you buy. It will give you a chance to explore all the sub neighborhoods as they are many and quite varied. Then you can make a more informed decision if you do decide to buy.

My 2c,

Derek

Old 07-17-2009, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 36,760 times
Thank you. I grew up in Westchester & Ladera Heights, but my husband has become accustomed to newer housing & is none to keen on the older homes we've seen there so far, but we'll look again tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBoo View Post
Thank you. I grew up in Westchester & Ladera Heights, but my husband has become accustomed to newer housing & is none to keen on the older homes we've seen there so far, but we'll look again tomorrow.
Where are you looking (newer)? Where are you not looking (older, husband doesn't like)? Is your job in El Segundo? Where would you buy if you wanted new and worked in El Segundo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles