Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 12,723 times

Advertisements

We're a family of four (2 very young kids) contemplating a move to SoCal from out of state to work in El Segundo. It looks like Torrence, Culver City, etc., are all workable commutes. But what's the real deal with commuting from Long Beach? Is this a case of "well, you can do it, but it's an hour in your car each way?"

Also- does Southern California have a metro system similar to the Washington DC Metro or BART?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,577,162 times
Depends what time you leave your home at. My dad commuted from Huntington Beach to Northrop Gruman in Manhatten Beach for about 6 years until he retired. He left home at 545 am and left work at 330 pm each day. He said the drive took about 45 minutes. Huntington Beach where he lives is about a 15 minute drive south of PCH/2nd Street in Long Beach.

A drive at 8am and 5pm will be much less manageable.

Make sure you know where you are living in LB. Some areas are nice. Some are garbage.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Look at Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map during the times you expect to commute.

If you are working a 630-3 shift (if the man will let you I mean), the the PM traffic heading south will be a little rough but doable. AM traffic won't be bad at all.

Yes, there is a train that goes to El Segundo, but I don't know the exact path. I saw it near the Northrop Grumman facility in El Segundo. Check metrolink on the internet.

You could even live in Irvine and do the commute too. It is a little farther but you might find a lot more choices with good schools. Also, Los Alamitos - pretty good schools.

www.schoolperformancemaps.com

I do know for a fact that heading north to the San Fernando Valley will suck in the PM no matter what schedule you work (even 6-230).

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,617,550 times
El Segundo is a nice town to live in also.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM

916 posts, read 3,685,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwalker View Post
We're a family of four (2 very young kids) contemplating a move to SoCal from out of state to work in El Segundo. It looks like Torrence, Culver City, etc., are all workable commutes. But what's the real deal with commuting from Long Beach? Is this a case of "well, you can do it, but it's an hour in your car each way?"

Also- does Southern California have a metro system similar to the Washington DC Metro or BART?

Thanks.
Most of the middle and upper middle class neighborhoods in LB are in East LB. commuting to El Segundo in rush hour is about 45 minutes from there. You could also do Bixby Knolls (a very nice neighborhood in LB) and that would cut about 10 minutes off the commute time.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 12,723 times
thanks to everyone who replied. Very considerate with your advice and even mentioning schools...

Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM

916 posts, read 3,685,099 times
Irvine is too far. It would add another 30 minutes. Besides East Long Beach is nicer. Irvine does have good schools but the schools in East Long Beach are good too. With the shorter drive and not being totally sterile/cookie cutter, I would pick East Long Beach over Irvine. That is unless you like the manufactured, tract homes and shopping centers which is totally Irvine.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
Metrolink doesn't go to El Segundo, but the LA Metro rail does. Green line from Norwalk to El Segundo, which would allow you to live in Lakewood, Cerritos, etc and use the train if you pleased, but you could also just take the 91 fwy if you left early, like my grandmother did for 30 years at TRW

Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
i wouldn't live in long beach and commute to el segundo, but that is just me. I used to stay at my girlfriend's apartment and drive up to playa del rey (next to el segundo) in the mornings before work. I had to leave at 5:30 in the morning to avoid traffic. a few times i left later during rush hour and it took about an hour. the 405 is a horrible freeway.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 AM

171 posts, read 578,160 times
Interesting advice in this thread. I thought it would be different.

The 405 North begins to back up around 7AM until about 9AM. From the Long Beach Airport to El Segundo during the morning commute is probably about 45 minutes. The afternoon commute starts early - around 3PM - and lasts until about 6. It would probably take 50-60 minutes to drive from ES to Long Beach Airport in the afternoon. Thursday afternoons are the worst - even with no accidents, it can take longer than an hour.

Good luck!

Edit: If you arent used to traffic, I would warn your husband to be prepared to be very frustrated until he gets used to it. It's not an easy transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles