Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 AM

47 posts, read 234,391 times

Advertisements

here is some advice. 11% unemployment, government paying people with IOU's, state income tax, over 9% sales tax. still wanna come? i myself am out by years end. just saving up till then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino702 View Post
here is some advice. 11% unemployment, government paying people with IOU's, state income tax, over 9% sales tax. still wanna come? i myself am out by years end. just saving up till then.
He's in high school. What concept does he have of unemployment rates, tax rates, etc? California is the perfect place to move to sight-unseen!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:21 AM

64 posts, read 133,967 times
If you are moving to LA for the gorgeous weather alone, it is not worth it. There are many, many more livable, cheaper, and cleaner places to live. However, if you want to work in entertainment, LA is the place to be.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelChick View Post
if you want to work in entertainment, LA is the place to be.

As the Hollywood machine abandons L.A., its supporting workers struggle - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-12-2009, 07:07 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Double your money, then come.
......and have a job lined up first.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelChick View Post
If you are moving to LA for the gorgeous weather alone, it is not worth it. There are many, many more livable, cheaper, and cleaner places to live. However, if you want to work in entertainment, LA is the place to be.
not always, much of the movie industry is moving out or certainly it isn't all Los Angeles anymore.

Nita

Old 07-19-2009, 07:15 PM

17 posts, read 31,930 times
i still really want to do it. thanks for the replies

Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustcantwait View Post
i still really want to do it. thanks for the replies
It's ok, just try to be very cautious with your money and who you trust. There's many jaded CA residents on here who are just fed up. They have the right to feel that way but don't let the negativity stop you from your dream. I just stress to be VERY cautious. Good luck to you and be careful out there!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustcantwait View Post
I'm 21 and I have wanted to go to california for the longest time. I"m trying to write this and not sound cheesy but oh well. i seriously wake up and go to sleep with this on my mind and i am so ready to move i think i will no matter what answers i get but still, someones elses opinion would be nice. i've been saving since before i graduated but everytime i finally get close to my goal something happens, (my car dies, family needs extra money, hours get cut at work) and now i think if i just keep waiting this may never happen, so for once i just have to do something with out constantly second guessing myself and using excuses. so I have about 6000 dollars and i really want to be around the LA area. i am extremely scared of going out there and then getting forced to move back because i couldn't make it, i feel that would be one of the worst things in the world. How long would i be able to make it in california with 6000 and where are some of the better places to live where it is still in my price range? This is a big step for me and i greatly appreciate any help. oh and does anyone have experience finding homes for rent on crigslist cause i looked and some are actually very nice and i was just wondering if they're legit.
We are pretty much in the same boat! I always was intrigued by LA and actually finally had a chance to visit back in 2007 for a week. I absolutely fell in love with the place.

I'm waiting for the economy to bounce back and have a little bit more money saved before I make the move. I definitely want to have all my ducks lined up before I even attempt to make the move.

Just be smart and cautious! I do however strongly recommend you visit first to see if you really like it or not. I couldn't imagine making the move without actually visiting the place first.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 PM

17 posts, read 31,930 times
Default ugh

well like i said before everytime i finally got close to having enough money something happened, and well... let's just say it happened again, it seems that my parents( mom and step dad) may be separating and I'm pretty sure it will be extremely hard for my mom to be able to start all over on her own,( she isn't going to want to take my money but i know she'll need it) and i think it would be incredibly selfish of me to use all my money to leave especially when i'm not entirely sure if i'll be able to make it. It's like the universe is against me. so this means all the money i currently have will be gone and any future money, or dream ( for the moment ) will also be gone. ugh so i'll most likely be saving for a few more years and who knows what other ridiculous problems will pop up by then. I was so close...i've spent every day for months now, looking for apartments and applying to schools, i even started packing. i guess all i can do is cry take a long shower and eventually get over it. that last part is gonna take a long time. well sorry now i'm completely off the subject, thanks for all the suggestions i really do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles