Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamirod View Post
Thanks BayAreaHillbilly, I totally agree. We definitely could not handle the Midwest or Great Lakes areas of the country.
No, you could not. I can assure you that you could not handle late October to late May being cold, gloomy and the possibility of snow at any time after being lucky enough to live in L.A.
I say "lucky" because compared to where I live L.A. is paradise. Now the jokes will come in on me I'm sure, but come here for a year and see if L.A. looks so bad.
Good luck in NY!!! My response was only to give you extra comfort knowing that you wont have to suffer in the abyss with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 08:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,390,708 times
Move back to where it's hot? You'd be amazed at how many people boomerang back-- not the hard-core L.A. haters, of course, but those who hold 72 degrees and sunny in high esteem.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Cold weather is more difficult to live in if you have kids. In California, or other not cold winter places, kids can pretty easily go outside and entertain themselves with bikes, basketball, scooters, etc. If it is too cold to play outside for months of the year, they will be inside a lot more often. TV, PC, DVD, Wii, etc are OK but they don't provide enough spontaneous exercise and sort of become one dimensional after a while. If the kids are inside this will stress out the parents.

Most kids would rather do nothing with their buddies down the street than operate a sophisticated home PC or experience a super home theater.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Cold weather is more difficult to live in if you have kids. In California, or other not cold winter places, kids can pretty easily go outside and entertain themselves with bikes, basketball, scooters, etc. If it is too cold to play outside for months of the year, they will be inside a lot more often. TV, PC, DVD, Wii, etc are OK but they don't provide enough spontaneous exercise and sort of become one dimensional after a while. If the kids are inside this will stress out the parents.

Most kids would rather do nothing with their buddies down the street than operate a sophisticated home PC or experience a super home theater.
I know your neighborhood in Colorado didn't have many kids within walking distance so that was a problem too, but how much of the year do you think the kids were forced inside due to the cold?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
The contrast in weather between LA and NYC inspired one of the best California classic songs ever written by the Mamas and Papas. I found the story entertaining:

California Dreamin

Old 07-14-2009, 09:36 PM

111 posts, read 589,998 times
I live near London, Ontario which is about 100 miles Northeast of Detroit. We get fairly heavy winters, not as bad as when I lived further North, but we still hit highs of 3 or 4 feet of snow at times in the winter and temperatures that can feel as low as -40C when you add in wind chill.

Honestly though, I don't know what all of the fuss is about. Sure it's a pain scraping off your car's windows in the morning and needing to drive more carefully during storms, but aside from that the winter is great.

It seems like the people living in eternal sunshine have nightmares about the dark, frigid blizzards of doom and carnage up here lol. I think you would grow to love winter, although it loses much of its charm in city settings. When I lived in a rural area winter was my favourite time of year because everything looks so beautiful, and there is silence for as far as you can hear. It just seems so relaxed and peaceful. But the minute that you get into a town or city setting, the charm really disappears and you're left with slush and coldness.

Anyway, NYC has mild winters as far as things out East are concerned. With the proper coat, boots, gloves and scarf/toque you'll be fine. Over time, you'll adjust to the weather.

Most of the time I just wear a sweater, jeans and running shoes when it's -20C. You just get used to it, no need for boots/gloves/coats.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers1 View Post
It seems like the people living in eternal sunshine have nightmares about the dark, frigid blizzards of doom and carnage up here lol.
Those people also think you live in igloos.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I know your neighborhood in Colorado didn't have many kids within walking distance so that was a problem too, but how much of the year do you think the kids were forced inside due to the cold?
Charles and I moved to CO with our families and experienced similar things which were weather related.

What he has described was the same in our case. It really had nothing to do with neighborhood kids for us and everything to do with the weather. Basically snow season starts in September and last well in April and May. And that essentially means it is cold enough to snow at least 8 months out of the year. Yes, there are heat waves (it sometimes gets into the 40s/50s), but generally cold weather is the norm. Warm Springtime days are rare. And Fall is the same way. Trick or Treating is a rare site and only the most daring families put their kids in a costume to freeze their tails off for some candy. The same is true for easter egg hunts in the snow or windy, freezing rain. Been there, done that!

Here is Rocky Mountain NP in Sept. when I took my family on a bitter cold hike:

Most average folks including their children just don't go out and play (bike, jog, hike, skate, etc...) once snow season sets in. Of course you have your skiers/snowboarders. But there are fewer of these ppl than one might think. The average families tend to go into hibernation. During the Winter it can be sunny and 5F out which is a foreign concept to most Californians. And even with jackets. gloves, etc... that kind of weather is painful. So ppl go from work to the malls, their gyms and back to their homes. Sidewalks roll up pretty early. If its not snowing or raining it can be very windy and cold. Going out for anything is just not as appealing unless you are nature photographer buff like myself and glutton for punishment! I spent many days alone in the mtns wondering where all the ppl were. They sure weren't out going for hikes.

Ppl do adjust. But it is a different lifestyle where things are done more around the weather - indoors more when it is cold, windy, snowy, raining, hailing, muggy hot, etc...

For those from colder climates originally it is normal or fine. It is even mild for them when coming from the Midwest, etc... But it is different if you are used to warmer weather and enjoying year round activities associated with it, even if that is doing some simple gardening.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-14-2009 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
how much of the year do you think the kids were forced inside due to the cold?
I know MtnSurfer already answered this, and I'm sure Charles will chime in too, but I just wanted to provide this little anecdote:

My kids, (8, 4) play outside in the snow if it is the first snowstorm of the year, or if it's a new storm after all previous snow has melted (which as you know occurs quite frequently in CO).

If snow does stay on the ground (or if it's too cold) for multiple days in a row, they stay inside. But, if I catch their butts sitting around watching TV after the snow has melted and the temp is above 50°, I make them play outside.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
But, if I catch their butts sitting around watching TV after the snow has melted and the temp is above 50°, I make them play outside.
LOL...

Yeah, I would even do that after a blizzard sometimes. Here I am teaching my son to snowboard down our street

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles