Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM

21 posts, read 45,567 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with this apartment complex? It's located on Riverside Drive. There are some fairly negative reviews online, but I know people only tend to write in when they have a negative experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:05 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
My best advice would be to go get a complete tour of the place. Then, visit at different hours of the day. Drive by or walk by at night time and on the weekend. That will give you a very good idea if you think the place is something you want. Do not trust those reviews. I've stayed in places that got a 10% on those sites that I absolutely loved.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Thanks, Zen. Unfortunately, I'm not going to have the luxury of visiting the area before moving.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I haven't been in that apartment, but have been past it - part of the reason it sticks out in my mind is because I remember thinking that the location was so completely unappealing. It''s near some nice stuff (Griffith Park, a pool, a piece of park with a fancy fountain, etc.) but that specific stretch Do you know the area at all but just not the specific apartment, or is this a completely blind decision? It's technically Los Feliz, but it's a long way from the heart of Los Feliz. It's closer to some of the stuff in Silverlake, but I'm not sure how convenient. Riverside Drive runs right along the freeway, so you'd potentially have the not-so-inspiring view of the 5 out your window, and the stretch of Riverside that goes by the apartment is pretty grim and industrial and uninspiring; it makes that building seem more remote than the location would indicate. The location itself is relatively convenient if you're getting around mostly by driving and need fast access to the 5 or to Los Feliz Blvd, but there are so many other apartment buildings in that general area, so unless it's a really good deal I would get something a few blocks away that has a better location. But again, I've never lived there, and haven't walked around that part of the neighborhood much, so maybe it's nicer than I think.

It's been my experience in LA that you can rent a place and move in practically immediately; if you have the option I'd spend a couple of days at a motel before finding a place. It could save you money in the long run if you end up moving somewhere and absolutely hate it. (just checked their website and see they have 1-BRs from $1200+; it's all about personal preference, of course, but I think you find better.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Much appreciated, uptown urbanist. Exactly the info I needed. This is truly going to be a blind move. I've only been to L.A. once for an interview, and unfortunately, my current job isn't going to allow me the time to visit again before my move at the end of august. I have decided that Los Feliz is the area in which I'm going to rent for the first year. Now I just need to find the right apartment. That's a good idea about the motel.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM

18 posts, read 43,719 times
I also am not familiar with it except from driving past it on my way to Costco I've actually thought to myself, "That place looks nice"... nice new paint outside, pretty big, the balconies look nice... but like uptown urbanist said, very industrial street, the only view you have is of the 5, not really within walking distance to anything... and lots of homeless people and motor homes tend to "park" there (I used to work downtown and came in close contact daily with homeless people and never had a negative experience, but it's something to note

Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
And for the record, I've looked at some other Archstone Properties in Pasadena and they were nice places but very pricey. That may not helped but the 2 I looked at seemed well maintained and had a friendly staff.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
RSpio, good point about the parked motor homes - they're always there. I don't know if they're a problem or not, but it is something to know about. I think the fact that the Archstone building does look nice, or at least appears to be well-maintained (coupled with the fact that I've seen their pricey and better-located places in Pasadena - made the street location of the Los Feliz place stick out as being an odd contrast. If you're only coming and going in your car it might be fine (it is convenient from that standpoint), but if you're looking at Los Feliz because you want to be able to walk to the bars, restaurants, and shops along Hillhurst and Vermont then you'd be disappointed by the location. It's on the far, far reaches of the neighborhood.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:03 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
What uptown urbanist said.

Bid for an extended stay type place on priceline. You can probably get something for 30-40 dollars a day. Stay there for a week. Most places in LA are looking for people to move TODAY. When we moved here we flew into LA and looked for apartments about 45 days before we were going to be arriving. The landlords looked at us like "what the heck can we do with you? I can't keep it vacant 45 days." It seems no one here tries to rent places that WILL be vacant in a month. We found a smaller complex that was willing to hold the place we wanted for the 45 day period. I think we probably paid an extra 100 dollars a month in rent for the place compared to what we could have gotten with another place but it made sense IMO. A lot of places wanted us to supply our own fridge and I pretty much told them to put one in and if they wanted me as a tenant they can supply their own fridge. I had no idea at the time this is somewhat "normal" here but nonetheless, the landlords all agreed to put one in except for one. Of course that guy called back two weeks later trying to negotiate since his place was still vacant. But at that point we had made up our mind.

Either way don't worry about it. Stay in a cheap motel and you'll find a place no problem. It's better than trying to find something blind IMO. Landlords aren't generally looking for people to rent in adavnce. Plus you can often get better deals if you can move NOW on a vacant unit since they don't have to hold it for 2-3 weeks for someone to move in.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks for your help, everyone! I've decided to sign a lease at an apartment on los feliz blvd. at wayne avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles