U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM
 
24 posts, read 44,704 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i have kids, and i def dont make 100K. i also own a home. 100K is more than enough. maybe not hollywood hills enough. but enough to put you in nice areas of LA. these posters[in law] are going to rent. possibly in Pas. its possible.
I didn't say it wasn't possible. Anything is possible. I only mentioned that 100K for a family living in a nice part of Pasadena isn't all that much.

Once again, 100K means different things to different people. Just because you are doing fine on 100K doesn't mean it will be the same for the OP's BIL & SIL. I know several couples who make more than 100K combined and they live in okay parts of town with kids and live on strict budgets. I am responding to the information the OP posted with regards to the situation of her BIL & SIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,554,428 times
Reputation: 2251
sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcguy View Post
I didn't say it wasn't possible. Anything is possible. I only mentioned that 100K for a family living in a nice part of Pasadena isn't all that much.

Once again, 100K means different things to different people. Just because you are doing fine on 100K doesn't mean it will be the same for the OP's BIL & SIL. I know several couples who make more than 100K combined and they live in okay parts of town with kids and live on strict budgets. I am responding to the information the OP posted with regards to the situation of her BIL & SIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,554,428 times
Reputation: 2251
i have to agree. i have folks in altadena. life long residents.

its a great area. j muir aint so bad, but it would be a total shock for a suburban kid to come to a school like j muir. its similar to westchester. mix of sass, class and trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would probably not advise them to live in Altadena even though, I personally love the city. Why, because I think most of Alt is John Muir High school. If I had a child I would prefer they go to Pasa High, just my humble opinion for what it is worth..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Reputation: 45686
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i have to agree. i have folks in altadena. life long residents.

its a great area. j muir aint so bad, but it would be a total shock for a suburban kid to come to a school like j muir. its similar to westchester. mix of sass, class and trash.
Nothing is so bad and anyone can do well if they want to, I just wouldn't expose my child to J. Muir if I had a choice. I don't think it is quite like Westchester either. It may be a mixture of sass, class and trash as you put it but it is more trash than class, that is for sure. Many of the people who do live in Altadena choose to send their kids to private schools.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,554,428 times
Reputation: 2251
well i didnt want to be too harsh. but i get ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Nothing is so bad and anyone can do well if they want to, I just wouldn't expose my child to J. Muir if I had a choice. I don't think it is quite like Westchester either. It may be a mixture of sass, class and trash as you put it but it is more trash than class, that is for sure. Many of the people who do live in Altadena choose to send their kids to private schools.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,742,386 times
Reputation: 7322
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Nothing is so bad and anyone can do well if they want to, I just wouldn't expose my child to J. Muir if I had a choice. I don't think it is quite like Westchester either. It may be a mixture of sass, class and trash as you put it but it is more trash than class, that is for sure. Many of the people who do live in Altadena choose to send their kids to private schools.

Nita
Westchester being LAUSD is a pretty crappy school despite where its located. Nita, I think you forget that LAUSD schools are horrible regardless of neighborhood. I agree with The One that Muir is no worse than Westchester, not that Muir's so great but Westchester's worse than you think. So are other LAUSD schools that were good schools within our memories. E.g. Fairfax (good 30 years ago, horrible now), North Hollywood (good 30 years ago, horrible now)Grant (a great school well into the '80s, horrible now), Uni (best school in LAUSD for decades until the beginning of the '90s, horrible now), etc. LAUSD comprehensives are ALL terrible and I would not send kids to ANY of them, some are just a little less terrible than others (e.g. Eagle Rock, Venice) The comprehensive school should be abolished and the LAUSD broken up or privatized. The only good, decent, OK or even acceptable schools in LAUSD are magnets and charters.

TBF Westchester going charter will probably improve it, as was the case with Pali (which was turning into a full blown ghetto school before it went charter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Reputation: 45686
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Westchester being LAUSD is a pretty crappy school despite where its located. Nita, I think you forget that LAUSD schools are horrible regardless of neighborhood. I agree with The One that Muir is no worse than Westchester, not that Muir's so great but Westchester's worse than you think. So are other LAUSD schools that were good schools within our memories. E.g. Fairfax (good 30 years ago, horrible now), North Hollywood (good 30 years ago, horrible now)Grant (a great school well into the '80s, horrible now), Uni (best school in LAUSD for decades until the beginning of the '90s, horrible now), etc. LAUSD comprehensives are ALL terrible and I would not send kids to ANY of them, some are just a little less terrible than others (e.g. Eagle Rock, Venice) The comprehensive school should be abolished and the LAUSD broken up or privatized. The only good, decent, OK or even acceptable schools in LAUSD are magnets and charters.

TBF Westchester going charter will probably improve it, as was the case with Pali (which was turning into a full blown ghetto school before it went charter).
yep, you are right, they are, but some are better than others. This goes for Pasadena as well, if you are going to look at things like test scores. That doesn't mean all Pasadena schools are bad. Again, would I put my kids in them? Probably not, but some are better than others.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM
 
518 posts, read 1,319,908 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
TBF Westchester going charter will probably improve it, as was the case with Pali (which was turning into a full blown ghetto school before it went charter).
Birmingham is goin charter, so that school should improve as well... Granada Hills a few miles north is doin great as a charter. The only "good" LAUSD comprehensive high schools left are Taft?? and El Camino. Chatsworth might be halfway decent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 AM
 
Location: cradle of liberty
212 posts, read 640,315 times
Reputation: 166
Default One year Later...

It's been almost a year to the day that I posted this original thread.

My in-laws made the big move cross country to Southern California. They found a beautiful house to rent, their son was enrolled in a good school in South Pasadena, and my brother-in-law had a short ten minute commute to his job.

The were ecstatic with the weather, site seeing, and their new life.

Shortly after my sister-in-law arrived, she began looking for a job. As a seasoned waitress she thought it would be fairly easy to land something. She spent everyday pouring over the want ads. Finally, she learned the the Cheesecake Factory was taking applications. So she showed up at the advertised time to pick up an application. What she found, was a line, around the block and down the street, standing room only inside... for an application... not and interview... for the Cheesecake Factory!

After months of looking and applying, she finally was able to land a position with a small family run restaurant.

Everything was falling into place...Until my brother-in-law lost his job.

He has a college degree and years of experience in his field, but without local connections, it has been extremely difficult to even get an interview.

They made the difficult decision to "pull up steaks and head home". Although we are sad that things did not work out for them in the Golden State, we are happy that are coming home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,805,064 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post

They made the difficult decision to "pull up steaks and head home". Although we are sad that things did not work out for them in the Golden State, we are happy that are coming home.
Interesting to read an update. What can be written of your family's prospects in your home state? Is it necessarily better there? Are there jobs waiting there? Just because he lost a job in CA doesn't negate all the benefits of living in CA such as weather, activities, diversity, etc. Still, there is no substitute for family and "home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top