Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 AM

228 posts, read 792,383 times

Advertisements

I read so many stories about young, star struck, 20 somethings moving to L.A. I wanted to find out what life would be like for an "older" couple with kids to move to SoCal.

My BIL received a great transfer offer from the East Coast office to the Pasadena office. He has been with the company for many years, so his job is pretty secure, and there actually seems to be more growth opportunity in the Pasadena office than back east.

BIL and SIL are both 40. They started their family when they were very young. They had the house, the kids, the minivan, and the whole "suburban life". Now the oldest two have left for college (will be staying on the East Coast), and there is only a 12 year old at home. The house is also about to go.

They are so excited about moving to SoCal. It has been a lifelong dream for both of them. BIL is already out there, SIL just got back from a visit and will be joining him soon. They can only rave about the weather and the "lifestyle"... the beach, the scenery, the fresh produce, the "vibe". They think the traffic is no issue.

They are most likely going to be living in Pasadena and have no intention of buying a house, renting is fine for them.

What issues should they worry about? Or is it different for a couple with a little bit more security? (BIL makes about $100K, SIL has only ever worked part time). Do you think it will be the Nirvana they are looking for?

Thanks for you feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,446,379 times
Sounds good from what your saying. 100K a year I'd be "livin the dream." If anyone claims 100K is not enough to live in CA their out of their mind. That's almost 2 grand a week, if someone can't budget 8K a month, that person would need help.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,634,547 times
Pasadena is great for families. If they live and work in or near Pasadena traffic won't be that bad, either. Pasadena's a trek from the beach, but not a big deal to go there on a weekend. The only potential issue is that the Pasadena public schools are not known for being great (although I have known people who have sent their kids there and have a good experience, so no need to write them off automatically) but Pasadena-adjacent cities like South Pasadena, San Marino (probably too expensive) and Arcadia have great schools. They can rent a nice place in a nice neighborhood on that salary. I wouldn't move with the assumption that any place is going to be a "Nirvana," but if he has a secure job and wants to make the move then by all means go for it. I love Pasadena, and so do many, many other people. Hopefully they'll love it, too.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM

24 posts, read 47,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Sounds good from what your saying. 100K a year I'd be "livin the dream." If anyone claims 100K is not enough to live in CA their out of their mind. That's almost 2 grand a week, if someone can't budget 8K a month, that person would need help.
If you're a family that is raising children in a nice part of town that 100K/year doesn't mean much. It all depends on your situation in life and what you are willing to live with. I have a friend who recently graduated from PA (physician's assistant) school and will likely be making $100K or more per year. However, she has huge loans to pay off and works long hours. She is unlikely to move into a really nice neighborhood for a couple of years until she builds up her savings. Do you think she is "living the dream" as you call it? She has worked her ass off for 3 years in school and it will probably take another five years before she really begins to see the fruit of her labors. Most people never think about the incredible amount of work and sacrifice that results in success. That is the problem I have with many of these people posting about coming to California. I am happy to hear about their dream of making it in California until they mention that they have no job lined up and barely have enough savings to make it longer than a couple of months.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,626,068 times
the difference is that these are 40 year olds. im sure if they have student loans they might be paid off. and they already have a house. they have already established themselves.

there are different from starry eyed teens coming to CA.

i think they will be fine. especially in PAS. thats one of my fav parts of town. it has a lot to offer and is close to DT and the mountains and parks and shops and restaurants. its friendly, diverse, active, vibrant, cultured.

i think they will thouroughly enjoy life there. as for the 12 YO. there might be some adjusting to be done, but he should be fine. south pas schools are good, but pasadena schools are just as fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcguy View Post
If you're a family that is raising children in a nice part of town that 100K/year doesn't mean much. It all depends on your situation in life and what you are willing to live with. I have a friend who recently graduated from PA (physician's assistant) school and will likely be making $100K or more per year. However, she has huge loans to pay off and works long hours. She is unlikely to move into a really nice neighborhood for a couple of years until she builds up her savings. Do you think she is "living the dream" as you call it? She has worked her ass off for 3 years in school and it will probably take another five years before she really begins to see the fruit of her labors. Most people never think about the incredible amount of work and sacrifice that results in success. That is the problem I have with many of these people posting about coming to California. I am happy to hear about their dream of making it in California until they mention that they have no job lined up and barely have enough savings to make it longer than a couple of months.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,634,547 times
The couple in question has a job lined up, they're selling a house, they're planning to rent, and nothing was said about huge debt. They're in a completely different situation than someone moving with no savings and no job. The couple in this question sounds like they're pretty realistic, and assuming no heavy debt load they can certainly rent somewhere decent (not a mansion, but nice) in Pasadena or some of the surrounding areas. True, that $100k would put buy you a lot more in some parts of the country, but - especially if renting and assuming no huge debt - it will still buy you a nice middle-class life in Pasadena.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,652,256 times
Absolutely! Pasadena, Glendale and Altadena are great places to live and as he works nearby the killer commute is not a problem. $100K is enough to live on if you don't have a lot of debt. Tell them to Go for It.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:31 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,131,633 times
Sounds great, I am sure they will love it.
Perhaps on one of your visits, you will decide to join them out here

Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
That $100K becomes $70K very quickly, after taxes. So you're around $6K per month. Now you're mortgage payment should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% of that or $2400. That's about $400K home (and don't forget the $80K down). Not a whole lot of those floating around in the nicer areas around Pasadena- even these days.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 PM

137 posts, read 601,339 times
Are they assisting their kids still in college? Any college loans taken out by the parents? Car payments? How is their retirement fund -- were they hoping to save while living in CA still?

Not trying to discourage them from coming -- but all the past posts are things they should consider.

@100k after taxes, renting a home/apt with hoa fees, utilities, potential car payments, state licensing fees, groceries, etc. You probably won't be saving any money for retirement and/or going on many vacations.

$100K to "live the dream" in CA ????-- Well, it depends on what living the dream means for the individual, for me it means waking up on a December Morning, driving 1.5 hours to Mountain High and skiing for a few hours... then driving back down to Pasadena and driving 45 mins to walk along the beach without my shirt on and enjoying a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and fresh oysters in Santa Monica..... not bad....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles