Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 PM

24 posts, read 47,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the difference is that these are 40 year olds. im sure if they have student loans they might be paid off. and they already have a house. they have already established themselves.

there are different from starry eyed teens coming to CA.

i think they will be fine. especially in PAS. thats one of my fav parts of town. it has a lot to offer and is close to DT and the mountains and parks and shops and restaurants. its friendly, diverse, active, vibrant, cultured.

i think they will thouroughly enjoy life there. as for the 12 YO. there might be some adjusting to be done, but he should be fine. south pas schools are good, but pasadena schools are just as fine.
I mentioned the scenario in relation to jc76's comment about a "having it made" lifestyle with 100K/year in CA. Like I said, 100K/year can mean different things to different people depending on their situation.

With regards to the OP, it is likely they will have to downsize or pay more if they decide buy a house in a nice part of Pasadena. If they rent, the proceeds from their house sale will provide a nice cushion but most long time home owners dislike becoming renters again. Secondly, their kid is at a stage in life where adjustment can be especially difficult in metropolitan cities like LA. Thirdly, the cost of living and taxes are also higher.

California is an awesome place to live and raise kids but you will need to make significant financial sacrifices in order to make it happen. As long as you keep this in mind you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,276,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
That $100K becomes $70K very quickly, after taxes. So you're around $6K per month. Now you're mortgage payment should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% of that or $2400. That's about $400K home (and don't forget the $80K down). Not a whole lot of those floating around in the nicer areas around Pasadena- even these days.
They want to rent not own

they will be fine and pas is great!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,638,574 times
They said they were renting. It would be different if they wanted to buy. Did they say where they were coming from, other than East Coast? We moved from DC, and didn't find LA to be about the same as far as cost of living goes, but obviously that will depend on where they're moving from. I think it sounds like they're being very realistic.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,627,645 times
i have kids, and i def dont make 100K. i also own a home. 100K is more than enough. maybe not hollywood hills enough. but enough to put you in nice areas of LA. these posters[in law] are going to rent. possibly in Pas. its possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbcguy View Post
I mentioned the scenario in relation to jc76's comment about a "having it made" lifestyle with 100K/year in CA. Like I said, 100K/year can mean different things to different people depending on their situation.

With regards to the OP, it is likely they will have to downsize or pay more if they decide buy a house in a nice part of Pasadena. If they rent, the proceeds from their house sale will provide a nice cushion but most long time home owners dislike becoming renters again. Secondly, their kid is at a stage in life where adjustment can be especially difficult in metropolitan cities like LA. Thirdly, the cost of living and taxes are also higher.

California is an awesome place to live and raise kids but you will need to make significant financial sacrifices in order to make it happen. As long as you keep this in mind you'll be fine.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:45 AM

228 posts, read 792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Sounds great, I am sure they will love it.
Perhaps on one of your visits, you will decide to join them out here
That's what I'm afraid of! Unfortunately, I am not in the same boat with respect to career opportunities. At least I will have a great place to visit.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 AM

They are coming from the Northeast. I don't know of any substantial debt. I believe one, if not both of their cars are paid off.

At this point in time, they are fully looking to rent, not buy. Unless they decide to stay there for the rest of their lives, I doubt they will look to purchase a home.

I'm unsure about how much they are paying towards college for the older two children. I'm sure they are helping out some, but not sure how much.

They are not really into material possessions, more into having experiences (ie. hiking, going to the beach, going out to dinner). In terms of vacation... I don't think they would need one since they are living in such a great place. Although they did mention hopping over to HI since they are so much closer now.

I think the major adjustment will be the 12 y.o. Since he is transferring from a small suburban school to a larger, more urban setting. The older two children went to private high school here, but they have already determined that the private schools in CA are far too expensive for their budget.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM

51 posts, read 283,355 times
La Crescenta/La Canada-Flintridge area have outstanding public schools. South Pasadena and San Marino are great too like someone already mentioned.

Here is a link to search API scores for school within different cities. Good luck!

CA Academic Performance Index scores - California API results - CA API scores

La Canada Flintridge Schools - La Canada Flintridge California School Ratings - Public and Private
La Crescenta Schools - La Crescenta California School Ratings - Public and Private
Select a City Near La Canada Flintridge

Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 AM

Thank you ValleyBoy.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
I read so many stories about young, star struck, 20 somethings moving to L.A. I wanted to find out what life would be like for an "older" couple with kids to move to SoCal.

My BIL received a great transfer offer from the East Coast office to the Pasadena office. He has been with the company for many years, so his job is pretty secure, and there actually seems to be more growth opportunity in the Pasadena office than back east.

BIL and SIL are both 40. They started their family when they were very young. They had the house, the kids, the minivan, and the whole "suburban life". Now the oldest two have left for college (will be staying on the East Coast), and there is only a 12 year old at home. The house is also about to go.

They are so excited about moving to SoCal. It has been a lifelong dream for both of them. BIL is already out there, SIL just got back from a visit and will be joining him soon. They can only rave about the weather and the "lifestyle"... the beach, the scenery, the fresh produce, the "vibe". They think the traffic is no issue.

They are most likely going to be living in Pasadena and have no intention of buying a house, renting is fine for them.

What issues should they worry about? Or is it different for a couple with a little bit more security? (BIL makes about $100K, SIL has only ever worked part time). Do you think it will be the Nirvana they are looking for?

Thanks for you feedback.
sounds like they have found their perfect home or at least for now. As for living in Pasadena, if BIL is already there he must know the area to some degree. If I had a 12 year old I would be very careful about what part of Pasadena I lived in. Some of the schools are great, some are really not all that wonderful. There are some surrounding areas that might be better if their housing budget allows for the cost involved. One is Arcadia, the other So Pasadena and still another is Monrovia, but I am not sure Monrovia would be much different than living in Pasadena. If they do choose Pasadena I am sure they will choose a home that is in the Pasadena High School district and not John Muir. these are just my thoughts.

Good luck to them. I hope it works well.

Nita

Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Absolutely! Pasadena, Glendale and Altadena are great places to live and as he works nearby the killer commute is not a problem. $100K is enough to live on if you don't have a lot of debt. Tell them to Go for It.
I would probably not advise them to live in Altadena even though, I personally love the city. Why, because I think most of Alt is John Muir High school. If I had a child I would prefer they go to Pasa High, just my humble opinion for what it is worth..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles