U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 34,162 times

Advertisements

I received a carpool ticket entering a freeway ramp . As you enter on this particular ramp (if you are driving alone) you must switch to your right lane immediately & NOT stay on the left lane (which is the carpool lane).

I received this ticket on a Saturday afternoon. The meters were NOT on. I recently entered that same freeway on that same ramp & happen to notice that there is a sign that states CARPOOL LANE WHEN METERED. Now, does this mean that because the meters were not on that Saturday afternoon I should not have received this ticket ?

If there is anyone out there with information regarding this matter please reply .

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadidadi View Post
I received a carpool ticket entering a freeway ramp . As you enter on this particular ramp (if you are driving alone) you must switch to your right lane immediately & NOT stay on the left lane (which is the carpool lane).

I received this ticket on a Saturday afternoon. The meters were NOT on. I recently entered that same freeway on that same ramp & happen to notice that there is a sign that states CARPOOL LANE WHEN METERED. Now, does this mean that because the meters were not on that Saturday afternoon I should not have received this ticket ?

If there is anyone out there with information regarding this matter please reply .

Thank you
Did you ask the cop why you got the ticket since the meters were off? What did he say?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 34,162 times
Thanks for you reply. Actually, at that time I didn't even realize that the sign was posted. It wasn't until after I started noticing these signs on various freeway ramps. It's when I took a drive out to the ramp I got my ticket & it's also posted there.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,659,606 times
I am not a lawyer but I think you have a shot at your defense. I would look up the specific infraction to see exactly what it says. On court day, bring pictures of the onramp so you can explain it to the judge. Make sure you catch the sign that says "when metered"

It reminds me of a story, perhaps urban legend, but it makes sense.

Guy gets pulled over for being the 2nd through a onramp green light that said "One Car Per Green". He said to the cop that there were two green lights so one car per green means two cars. Cop said "baloney" but the guy asked him if he felt any judge would not throw it out. The cop gave him a warning instead.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I am not a lawyer but I think you have a shot at your defense. I would look up the specific infraction to see exactly what it says. On court day, bring pictures of the onramp so you can explain it to the judge. Make sure you catch the sign that says "when metered"
The thing is, our original poster friend has to go through the hassle of the court thing, miss work, and still take a chance on getting the judge to overturn the ticket. What is the ticket ($341??) If this guy is making $8 an hour, then it is worth it. What happens if he is a surgeon?

Similar thing happened to me four wheeling up around Alamo Mountain above Gorman. There was a sign facing west, that said "No vehicles" however there was a loop which I drove on and ended up on that road heading west (not able to see the sign). A ranger ticketed me. I think it as $50. So, big mouth Charles decides to take a day off work and fight it.

The judge lowered the fee to $25 which pissed me off because either I was right and it should be $0 or I was wrong and it should be $50. What does $25 mean? It means I wasted a day from work for $25 measly bucks and I didn't get closure on the argument.

Last edited by Charles; 07-28-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,670,103 times
If the lights were off, that ticket's a crock and the cop should go play on the freeway. I also think they should standardize which side of the ramp is the metered lane.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

725 posts, read 2,665,107 times
I think you have a good chance at contesting the ticket, as long as you are 100% sure the sign says "WHEN METERED"... and this is usually during rush hour in the morning and evening. Take pictures!

I received a carpool ticket once, while using the "carpool" on-ramp lane. I forgot how much this was exactly but I think it was in th e $350 ballpark range even though a lot of the signs still say $271 or whatever it is. The good news is that it doesn't count as a point on your driving record and you do not need to cure it via traffic school.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,659,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The thing is, our original poster friend has to go through the hassle of the court thing, miss work, and still take a chance on getting the judge to overturn the ticket. What is the ticket ($341??) If this guy is making $8 an hour, then it is worth it. What happens if he is a surgeon?
That is a good point.

I have no validation if this link is true but might be of value Ticket Assassin

Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,818,865 times
You are in the right and should fight it.

HOV lanes, be they on ramps or on the freeway, are only in effect during the posted hours / when metered.

Outside those hours, they are a normal lane.

Completely bogus ticket.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM

898 posts, read 1,354,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Similar thing happened to me four wheeling up around Alamo Mountain above Gorman. There was a sign facing west, that said "No vehicles" however there was a loop which I drove on and ended up on that road heading west (not able to see the sign). A ranger ticketed me. I think it as $50. So, big mouth Charles decides to take a day off work and fight it.

The judge lowered the fee to $25 which pissed me off because either I was right and it should be $0 or I was wrong and it should be $50. What does $25 mean? It means I wasted a day from work for $25 measly bucks and I didn't get closure on the argument.
I don't care how much money you make; $341 is still a lot of money and most of us have acrued vacation, personal days and sick days if we work for a company. I've been to traffic court for the last two tickets I received and got them dismissed both times because the cops didn't show up. I say go to court, it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles