U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 18,269 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are planning to take the plunge next year and relocate to Los Angeles from Virginia. I've basically read and looked at many different tips sites and helpful links; I was also hoping to hear some insight from either locals and/or former residents.

Looking to live in a relatively decent neighborhood of the city; subway/mass transit station, low crime, and the area doesn't have to be artsy but have some local color to it. I know every place has their pros and cons so I hope I'm not asking for the world. Basically a place to be proud to say you live there; we don't have money to throw around right now to live in a rich, glitzy area.

I have a postgrad education and significant experience in sports business/sales/contracting/marketing/IT, as I know many people have said to move where you live, I'm clueless as to where significant areas that might be epicenters of a certain field/industry there, outside of the entertainment businesses. We're planning on applying for relevant positions before we leave though I highly doubt many employers would take a chance on a person "planning to move" across the country. We are also active, so was hoping the area could have access to rec leagues and other ways of meeting people. I've read mostly about Mid-Wilshire, Culver City, Century City, and Santa Monica with intrigue, but even thought I know that's just a drop in the bucket.

I lived in Chicago for a while and by luck, stumbled onto the Wrigleyville neighborhood to live; prime for young professionals, plenty of decent bars, restaurants, sports and relatively affordable. I was hoping to find the same type of area when we move out west.

Sorry for the novel and thanks so much for any help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,967,272 times
There are employers all over the place. Whether or not they have jobs is, of course, another thing (maybe by next year they will). Downtown is of course an epicenter of jobs, so, too, are places like Pasadena, Long Beach, etc.

I wouldn't move without a job lined up, but I realize you're not asking about that. As far as neighborhoods go, you might alos want to consider living along the Gold Line in or on the way to Pasadena. Old Pasadena (aka "Old Town") is very popular with young professional type, and as far as sports go you'd be very close to the Rose Bowl (as well as lots of outdoorsy things like hiking, etc.) It's still possible to find a nice place to live that's affordable (sort of, or at least by LA standards) not too far away from Old Pasadena.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 PM

75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledoor View Post
My brother and I are planning to take the plunge next year and relocate to Los Angeles from Virginia. I've basically read and looked at many different tips sites and helpful links; I was also hoping to hear some insight from either locals and/or former residents.

Looking to live in a relatively decent neighborhood of the city; subway/mass transit station, low crime, and the area doesn't have to be artsy but have some local color to it. I know every place has their pros and cons so I hope I'm not asking for the world. Basically a place to be proud to say you live there; we don't have money to throw around right now to live in a rich, glitzy area.

I have a postgrad education and significant experience in sports business/sales/contracting/marketing/IT, as I know many people have said to move where you live, I'm clueless as to where significant areas that might be epicenters of a certain field/industry there, outside of the entertainment businesses. We're planning on applying for relevant positions before we leave though I highly doubt many employers would take a chance on a person "planning to move" across the country. We are also active, so was hoping the area could have access to rec leagues and other ways of meeting people. I've read mostly about Mid-Wilshire, Culver City, Century City, and Santa Monica with intrigue, but even thought I know that's just a drop in the bucket.

I lived in Chicago for a while and by luck, stumbled onto the Wrigleyville neighborhood to live; prime for young professionals, plenty of decent bars, restaurants, sports and relatively affordable. I was hoping to find the same type of area when we move out west.

Sorry for the novel and thanks so much for any help and advice!
sounds like you are doing your homework, but like always, my advise, do not even think of relocating until you have a job lined up. It isn't as easy as you think and the cost of living is higher than Va, of course I do not know where you live in VA. The areas you are researching are great as is Westwood, mostly UCLA people and Pasadena. Eagle Rock might be another hot place. As for subway, you are not in the east. It is a joke compared to D.C. ATlanta, NYC etc. Concentrate on the job, then the area. I happen to love Pasadena.

Nita

Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 PM

804 posts, read 2,202,936 times
Try Koreantown. Its close to the purple line subway it has bars, clubs, great ethnic food mostly Korean, it's very dense and urban and has goodnight life.

Here's a preview of Koreantown

here's some information on Koreantown giving you a good feel for the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreato...es,_California

Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks for all of your posts and replies; they've been a huge help. What about the Burbank/Studio City and/or North Hollywood areas?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM

518 posts, read 1,319,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledoor View Post
Thanks for all of your posts and replies; they've been a huge help. What about the Burbank/Studio City and/or North Hollywood areas?
North Hollywood has new apts/condos, new commercial developments, an arts scene. (But the new NoHo gateway sign is hideous) Some neighborhoods are a bit seedy however. The Busway and subway both converge in North Hollywood.

Studio City, Valley Village, Sherman Oaks are pricier and are among the nicest neighborhoods in the east valley. Ventura Blvd is the commercial heart of this area.

Look at areas in/near Hollywood off LaBrea, Melrose, and Fairfax. Fairfax near Wilshire (i.e. the Miracle Mile area) is near LACMA (LA's flagship contemporary art museum) Or look at Hollywood itself (decent transit to downtown and the Valley from there)

Also check out areas closer to downtown:
Los Feliz (close to the subway), Silverlake, Echo Park

I doubt you'll use public transit much in LA. I rarely do. Bring a car if you can... much more convenient.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,520 times
WOW, big move. I was born and raised an Angel (LA native). The only honest advice I can give you is find a place that is close to your work. We Angelinos spend countless (horrifying) hours stuck in traffic. I have been blessed and only work 9 miles away. Keep in mind that anything that is popular is usually expensive (ei. Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Downtown etc.). I would stick to the side communities.

Like you mentioned every area has its pros and cons.
Downtown LA = TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC, parking is also overpriced. Rent is Extremely High. There aren’t many parks and rec's and it isn’t very family/pet friendly.

Santa Monica = Love the multicultural ambience and local businesses, the commute to and from Santa Monica is crazy. Rent is high, very pet friendly.

Orange County = the commute on the 5 fwy is hell, but the public transportation system is lovely. I found that there aren’t many establishments within a walking distance ~ you would probably have to drive everywhere.

Pasadena= Very quiet and family oriented, rent is a little on the high side.

Los Feliz = My favorite so far. Total artsy and multicultural, you are a short drive to Downtown, Griffith Park and Hollywood area. The rent for an apartment is better than downtown LA. I love the small shops and they are within a walking distance. I have always admired the fact that area has no been bombarded with HUGE chain stores, it has a “village feel.” Another "PRO" you are close to the Dodger Stadium, GO DODGERS ~ THINK BLUE!

Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:11 PM

75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu012 View Post
WOW, big move. I was born and raised an Angel (LA native). The only honest advice I can give you is find a place that is close to your work. We Angelinos spend countless (horrifying) hours stuck in traffic. I have been blessed and only work 9 miles away. Keep in mind that anything that is popular is usually expensive (ei. Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Downtown etc.). I would stick to the side communities.

Like you mentioned every area has its pros and cons.
Downtown LA = TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC, parking is also overpriced. Rent is Extremely High. There aren’t many parks and rec's and it isn’t very family/pet friendly.

Santa Monica = Love the multicultural ambience and local businesses, the commute to and from Santa Monica is crazy. Rent is high, very pet friendly.

Orange County = the commute on the 5 fwy is hell, but the public transportation system is lovely. I found that there aren’t many establishments within a walking distance ~ you would probably have to drive everywhere.

Pasadena= Very quiet and family oriented, rent is a little on the high side.

Los Feliz = My favorite so far. Total artsy and multicultural, you are a short drive to Downtown, Griffith Park and Hollywood area. The rent for an apartment is better than downtown LA. I love the small shops and they are within a walking distance. I have always admired the fact that area has no been bombarded with HUGE chain stores, it has a “village feel.” Another "PRO" you are close to the Dodger Stadium, GO DODGERS ~ THINK BLUE!

Hope this helps.
Pasadana is much more than a quiet, family oriented city. I guess you haven't been there too often recently...

Nita

Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,459,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu012
;10026027Orange County = the commute on the 5 fwy is hell, but the public transportation system is lovely. I found that there aren’t many establishments within a walking distance ~ you would probably have to drive everywhere.
OC's public transportation system is anything but lovely, unless you mean the empty buses are clean. Most of our buses only run every 30 minutes or every hour. L.A. at least has four rail lines and many of the most popular bus routes run every 5-10 minutes. I use public transportation a good amount when I am up in L.A. and it is light years better compared to what we have in OC, sort of like how NYC is light years better than L.A. in public transit.

To the OP: The areas you are looking at are great areas. I recommend a visit to pick the one that feels the most comfortable to you. The one that you go to and you just think, "I'm home."

Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks so much, everyone, it's definitely helped narrow our focus for neighborhoods, and I'm looking forward to getting out there to check the areas out and find the right place. Plus it helps in looking for jobs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles