U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,723,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Also, sorry to crush your dreams, but the record industry is dying. The internet is killing it off. In the future, music will be sold online directly from the artists etc.
Furthermore, officials estimate by the year 2018, the Japanese will have invented a microchip that will render all musicians obsolete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM

57 posts, read 160,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Furthermore, officials estimate by the year 2018, the Japanese will have invented a microchip that will render all musicians obsolete.
I lol'ed to that.

anyway back on topic, I say go for it OP. Just do your research and lots of it. For example what the job requirements are to work at a record label are. hope for the best but be ready encase the worst happens. Also, who you tell about your plans/dreams can be important, if you start telling friends you will most likely get a lot of negative comments. Although for every negative person theres always going to be a positive one. In my experience its usually better to just keep things private, unless they've been there and done that, otherwise their opinion means squat.

Last edited by Gabe3; 08-02-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM

518 posts, read 1,318,648 times
Do it. You'll probably work at a Starbucks in the Valley, wait tables at night and live in a sketchy area of North Hollywood. But if you want to go to LA, no one can stop you from driving out there. or train it. Maybe start your own small indie record label (a friend of mine did just that). Kids do it all the time. But you gotta be connected with a particular scene to do that usu.

Last edited by irvine; 08-02-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 37,817 times
Thank you for all of your comments on the subject. A lot of you said do a lot of different things, but I appreciate your input. When the time comes, I guess I'll know what to do. I don't expect to move to Los Angeles and immediately get a job at a record label. I'm almost sure that I'll have a job there before I even make the move.. I have to start somewhere. =)

Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,522,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiloulou View Post
Thank you for all of your comments on the subject. A lot of you said do a lot of different things, but I appreciate your input. When the time comes, I guess I'll know what to do. I don't expect to move to Los Angeles and immediately get a job at a record label. I'm almost sure that I'll have a job there before I even make the move.. I have to start somewhere. =)
...And you even had the naysayer (lalife) in there to keep things in typical City Data format (negativity on people's dreams)

Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM

17,341 posts, read 21,553,952 times
jc76, I currently live in FL but lived in Los Angeles for many, many years. I was your age when I left New York to pursue my California dream.

I am so glad I did it. I think if you can look into colleges in LA, I attended USC.

It took me a few years after to college to make it feel like home, but I never regretted moving west. I met my wife there and we are still together.

We have been out of CA for two years now, but my heart is still in LA.

Worse thing that can happen is, it doesn't work out and you go home and regroup.

But at least you tried. I would never step on anyone's dream, because I wouldn't have wanted someone to step on my CA dream. Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM

17,341 posts, read 21,553,952 times
Sorry I meant that message for Candiloulou.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 PM

132 posts, read 385,517 times
I'd have to echo the sentiments about not letting your dad get in your way, but have you ever been to Los Angeles or even remotely thought this plan through?

I'm not raining on your parade, but I think you need a dose of reality here. There are thousands of people just like you hoping to make it big in any form of the entertainment industry - movies, music, you name it. The chances of that happening are slim to nill. You can think you're the next musical prodigy, but unless Rick Rubin or someone of that calibur is hearing your skills while you serve them their decaf mocha whip at Starbucks you're not going to go anywhere. I think that's the problem most people have with just "packing up and moving to LA" - it's not like you can walk in to Interscope Records and tell them you like music and they'll throw a job at you. Especially in this economy, the entertainment industry has taken a HUGE hit in that regard.

Expect work meanginless worthless jobs and by chance meeting someone that can get your foot in the door working for free as someones assistant until you work your way up. And put that in the .0001% chance of happening.

Sorry man to sound like a downer, but I know quite a few people that have shot for that star and only one has remotely made it. After 4 years of school in metro-LA and getting to meet some real "in the biz" people, he's only now making a livable wage by LA standards and lives in a studio apartment in North Hollywood.

Just don't do anything foolish I think is my point. There's going to be 100 other people wanting what you want and you'll have to prove not only you're better than them but that you're willing to work for free. And don't forget, regardless of how crappy the economy is, the cost of living is still ridiculously expensive down there so unless you can hold down multiple min. wage jobs you could find roommates and wing it.

I just know if it were me I'd get my schooling done to at least have a backup please incase things didn't pan out. If I would've listened to advice like this I wouldn't be partly in the situation I'm in now.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,012,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
...And you even had the naysayer (lalife) in there to keep things in typical City Data format (negativity on people's dreams)
Yeah, cause nothing bad happens to people who move to Los Angeles without being prepared.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
It´s so hard to follow a dream,but never give up to do it.you really can do anything if you try...belive me,my dream is must hard than yours.I wanna move to LA to do what I woud like,but my home is 8 hours away than LA by plane...I live in other country,and I don´t talk inglish very well.I never been in LA,just in New York,Orlando and Miami.I think LA it´s bether than others,and I hope so.So you wanna do what you like to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or