U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 PM

16,250 posts, read 27,794,014 times

Advertisements

marina.br,

You hardly have to speak english in LA to survive. Even in Ventura, CA a city North West of LA with just over 100,000 people we have a guide in our hospital where I work listing over a dozen languages. The most prevalent being Spanish, Tagoli (spelling), Chineese, Farsi, Japaneese, and Samoan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,995,299 times
I don't see any problems the music industry just like the film industry is just that,its a business for every person in front of a microphone or camera there is a thousand behind the scenes in some way.
The most important thing is to get a good education without that you can want all you like it just “ain't gonna happen”.
Research every aspect of the business you would like to be part of, be the best you can be and go for it.

PS. Can I have a pint of whatever Charles is drinking!!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:35 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,836,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiloulou View Post
Hi there,
After I graduate from high school, I'd really like to move to Los Angeles. My dad will most likely be my problem. I'm from New Orleans,LA and L.A. is 27 hours away. Anyway, the reason I want to move there is because of my dream job. I want to work at a record label and get really involved in the music business. I love music so much and I have a really huge passion for it.

Do any of you have advice on how to land a job at a record label? Thank you for your advice ahead of time.

Record label? Records? Like the ones maden vinyl, then 8-track, then cassette, then CD???

Everything is iTunes now. "Record labels" are hurting. The money is in video still, though. And graphics, graphic design, art, etc. Even print media is doing better than music media, Music is all downloadable now - MP3, etc.

Anyway, if you're going to do it, find out which companies have internships.

Then get a job that won't interfere w/ your internship. You will most likely have to work retail, fast food, or some other off-hours job. Get a job that has health coverage, if possible.

Get a cheap apartment and a cheap econobox of a car.

Live like this for a year, then start going to community college. Try to get a paid job with a record label or film/TV studio. It may take years for this to happen since it will take years to get your associate's degree in video or TV/film production or whatever.

Then go for more training or college. It will be years before any of this materializes into a life where you have enough time and money to actually enjoy life, but if it does all materialize, you may end up with a great job and career.

I would suggest that you stay home, work part time, live w/ mom and dad, go to college (at least community college), save up, and plan your move to L.A. when you're 22 or 23. Then you can intern and you'll be ready when a job pops up wherever you intern.

You should listen to your dad as much as possible, anyway.

By the way, if you really are passionate about music then you will HATE the music industry. If a man loves his wife, it doesn't mean he wants to w h 0 r e her out to everyone in the world, but that's what the music industry does to music.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 08-06-2009 at 04:44 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM

90 posts, read 162,747 times
Here are the facts ...

When I was 16 I started doing work in the music industry, and later put it aside to go to school and be the standard that everyone expects you to be. After a bunch of unexpected college situations, I decided to just get a college degree, and get the hell out of school. My dream job at the time was to do major label A&R. Yeah .. I wanted to move to LA, but I also knew that it was best to see what the local scene offered first. This not only builds character, but helps you out with your resume. I will say that LA is a completely different monster. Because there are tons of people out here doing the very same thing you want, you have to have something different to bring to the table. Have you done internships or side projects? If not, be sure to do so before moving to LA. Not only does it help to have a small reference list of sorts, but also an idea that you can explain to people that you meet.

I will say this as well ... young Hollywood is whats running the industry at a mainstream level right now. This basically means that in order to fully stay up, you need to be able to be on top of the newest trends, how the web is being used, and the places to go to network. For example, you might think that you can come down here and network at the clubs. However, the best clubs to network at are those that the average person cannot get into. Which in the end leaves most people frustrated and sent home packing. Get to know LA first before moving. Are you aware who Brent Bolthouse is?.. You should, considering hes one of the major players in nightlife promotion, and leads the young Hollywood trends. Are you aware of what parts of LA the jobs are at? Because while everyone here talks about moving to The Valley or North Hollywood, the jobs are NOT there. And literaly, you will have to decide if you want to spend a ot of extra money and time on transportation, or higher rent costs. Do you know about personal image branding? Because that is a business model that young Hollywood LIVES by.

If I will say anyting else, be flexable. I have learned in the short time being out here, that while I want to do major label A&R (and have slight experience doing so ..), there are so many just as cool opprtunities out here if you want to be a part of the mainstream. Look at who your role moels are, and what it is exactly that you want to accomplish. I think you would be surprised at what extra ideas you can come up with.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:35 PM

95 posts, read 253,640 times
Go to college and get a Bachelor's degree. I moved to Los Angeles to work in entertainment with a BA and started out at $12 an hour. I had a passion for the movies and thought it was the only thing I could ever do, but after actually working in the industry I was so glad to get out. Without connections you will have to start at the bottom and your chances of succeeding even then are slim. I'm friends with a very successful director and even he couldn't get me a good job because he kept getting shut down by people even higher up than him. Don't give up on your dream because you will regret it if you never try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or