U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 AM
 
3,059 posts, read 4,418,408 times
Reputation: 2522

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I feel the same way. Never liked it and a lot of people back home don't despite some acting like they do. I'd estimate 50/50 as far as those loving and those hating the snow and cold weather.
Right they don't hate the city but just the bad weather. They still love the Cubbies, Chicago Pizza, Chicago Dogs, etc. but just not snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,613 posts, read 34,660,248 times
Reputation: 16957
The OP has already moved to Calif, given up, and moved back to scenic Indiana. This is the only forum I know of that allows ancient topics to be dredged up, especially by the terminally clueless.

And he didn't move to L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
 
5,845 posts, read 11,132,120 times
Reputation: 4499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Right they don't hate the city but just the bad weather. They still love the Cubbies, Chicago Pizza, Chicago Dogs, etc. but just not snow.
Funny thing almost, while greater downtown Chicago is a great experience, the cold and snow, while I'm not crazy about, is not the biggest thing for me.

Its interesting that you mentioned the Cubbies, Pizza, and dogs.

The pizza and dogs are tasty, but I just love the health-consciuos lifestyle that is more widespread.

My favorite kind of girl is that is outdoorsy, loves hiking, etc. but is also stylish/fashionable and just a touch left of center. I also am not much of a sports fan, so I never got into that in Chicago.

There was actually a post on the Chicago forum, that stated if you combine the

skyline, public transit, lakefront parks, friendly/welcoming attitudes, and affordability, with the more health conscious, laid back, and fashionable culture to counteract the sports and drinking culture, and the homogenous suburbs, and the amazing mountain wilderness, desert landforms, and the Pacific ocean of SoCal it would truly be perfect.

However, instead I can just go home a couple times a year and hang out with friends and family in the Chicago area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 AM
 
3,059 posts, read 4,418,408 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Funny thing almost, while greater downtown Chicago is a great experience, the cold and snow, while I'm not crazy about, is not the biggest thing for me.

Its interesting that you mentioned the Cubbies, Pizza, and dogs.

The pizza and dogs are tasty, but I just love the health-consciuos lifestyle that is more widespread.

My favorite kind of girl is that is outdoorsy, loves hiking, etc. but is also stylish/fashionable and just a touch left of center. I also am not much of a sports fan, so I never got into that in Chicago.

There was actually a post on the Chicago forum, that stated if you combine the

skyline, public transit, lakefront parks, friendly/welcoming attitudes, and affordability, with the more health conscious, laid back, and fashionable culture to counteract the sports and drinking culture, and the homogenous suburbs, and the amazing mountain wilderness, desert landforms, and the Pacific ocean of SoCal it would truly be perfect.

However, instead I can just go home a couple times a year and hang out with friends and family in the Chicago area.
From what I've heard there are two types of Chicagoans, you're either a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan.
Forget healthy. If I lived there I'd be eating the pizza every other day. That stuff is da bomb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,166,358 times
Reputation: 477
Chicago's food obsession can honestly be downright bizarre. I knew people who would literally think they were better than you for avoiding Pizza hut/domino's/sbarro. The obsessive food culture is annoying.

Chicago = Foodtago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 AM
 
5,845 posts, read 11,132,120 times
Reputation: 4499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
From what I've heard there are two types of Chicagoans, you're either a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan.
Forget healthy. If I lived there I'd be eating the pizza every other day. That stuff is da bomb.
Yes, indeed. Thing is, Chicago is in so many ways awesome, but some of the provincial attitudes about sports, food/drink, etc. just makes it feel a lot like your in a more medium size city, once you get a couple miles from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,166,358 times
Reputation: 477
In the midwest, weather is talked about too much. In winter...it's gonna snow, gonna snow a foot, it hasn't snowed, ice, it's too cold, surprisingly not that cold one day, etc.

Summer...rain, not enough rain, storms, too hot, and too humid (everyone's favorite to hate). Spring, fall, can be anything.

I always thought in winter most people liked the big snowstorms. All these posts on facebook (usually by women or supreme beta males)..."Snowed in, just gonna make some hot cocoa and watch movies all day! YAYYY!". They might even have a party with the neighbors. I think the cold weather only serves to strengthen the provincial attitude. People generally stay in the same neighborhood at all times too (even in summer), but the cold does make it harder to get around town.

You do sort of feel "encapsulated" after a snowstorm and I really did like that when I was a kid, but now, I'm ready to leave snow & cold forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,046 posts, read 1,398,274 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Right they don't hate the city but just the bad weather. They still love the Cubbies, Chicago Pizza, Chicago Dogs, etc. but just not snow.
Yeah, a lot of them love the city. I love the city (Chicago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top