Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:51 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

Not trying to burn up thread space, but I am curious how many midwesterners move to LA and actually stay there for a lengthy time. If so how do you feel when you have to come back to the midwest to visit friends or family? Do you get depressed? When I come back to Indiana after being out west I get pretty down because it's so much more tense in the midwest. People here are so different and personal. So really I just wanna get some other people's opinions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:08 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
So much of people's impressions of places depend upon one's own socio-economics and aspirations for upward mobility

LA (or any other urban region) has a different "feel" and happiness coefficient if one is educated and has bucks vs if one doesn't

Midwest is a big, socio-economically diverse place....it's been exporting its smartest HS grads out to leading colleges in Northeast and CA for decades; almost none of those people ever return to Midwest to seek career opportunities...perhaps best testimonial to current and future economy/culture of Midwest cities, even its crown jewel, Chic

Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Here's my question for you, jc76: why do you keep leaving so quickly after getting to CA?

If you can identify the problems that are causing you to keep going back to IN, that will show you what to do to fix them. If I understand correctly, you keep running out of money shortly after getting here? Correct me if I'm wrong...

If you can figure out how to move with a little better financial game plan, it will make all the difference for you...

Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Here's my question for you, jc76: why do you keep leaving so quickly after getting to CA?

If you can identify the problems that are causing you to keep going back to IN, that will show you what to do to fix them. If I understand correctly, you keep running out of money shortly after getting here? Correct me if I'm wrong...

If you can figure out how to move with a little better financial game plan, it will make all the difference for you...

Spot on observation. He keeps posting on here like magically someday things are going to be so rosy by moving to LA. But like everyone knows, without the education and money from a good job that education can bring, he will forever be on this hamster wheel of "wishful thinking".

Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Midwest is a big, socio-economically diverse place....it's been exporting its smartest HS grads out to leading colleges in Northeast and CA for decades; almost none of those people ever return to Midwest to seek career opportunities...perhaps best testimonial to current and future economy/culture of Midwest cities, even its crown jewel, Chic

No one returns to the Midwest? Where did you drag that random thought out of?

I work for a Fortune 500 corporation in the Midwest. We have several transplants from LA in the office now. They are in upper management positions. Lots of professionals are leaving CA for the Midwest.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:22 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
My dad's a California native-turned-Midwesterner, so it goes both ways. In LA I knew many Midwesterners, many of them permanently, or at least long-term, settled down in CA (we lived there for 3 years). For people who return to the Midwest it's mostly an issue of either family or cost of living. I'm not living in LA now, but when I returned to Minnesota to visit family I never felt depressed. I actually felt far more connections between my LA and Minneapolis lives than I did when I was living elsewhere, in part because I knew so many other people (both family and friends) who had connections in both cities. I expect to have an ongoing relationship between the two areas for the rest of my life, due to personal, family, and professional connections in both regions, and a love for both places. I think it depends on the individual and the specific circumstances. In my own case, we're planning on living in Minneapolis for a bit because of professional and personal reasons. In the future we're open to returning to LA to live, and in the meantime will enjoy our visits. Life is long (if you're lucky), so there's time to spend years living in multiple places, if that's what you want.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I have been in L.A. for over 20 years from Ohio.

I cannot imagine living in Ohio after being in California for so long.

I have been back to visit a couple of times and each time I do I realize why I left, and why it was important that I move. It will always be the land of my birth, but I can never live there again. I think the hard winters make people cynical.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:50 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
My dad came from Michigan at 17 because the winters were terrible and there was nothing to do.

My wife's grandfather came from Missouri after completing his Naval duty because it's "misery".

My neighbor moved from Ohio after Air Force duty because the winters were terrible.

They've all been here a very long time and have no intention of ever moving back. And each one has already retired and stayed or plans on staying when they retire, be it in their current residence or somewhere like Palm Springs

Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
There's a huge difference between moving from the midwest to LA in 1958 and moving in 2008.

Those 1958 people (like by parents from Buffalo) bought a home for $18K cash, had plenty of jobs, less traffic, and pretty good schools. LA was a much better place to live for the middle class back then.

Now those 1958ers are retired, they are prop 13'd into low property taxes, they don't have kids in schools and they don't have to commute anymore - but their kids are leaving California.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Spot on observation. He keeps posting on here like magically someday things are going to be so rosy by moving to LA. But like everyone knows, without the education and money from a good job that education can bring, he will forever be on this hamster wheel of "wishful thinking".
I am not trying to be a smart-aleck. I think jc is a nice guy who does seem to enjoy California every time he moves out here. It would be nice to see him make it work the next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles