U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:34 PM

10,954 posts, read 10,643,059 times

Advertisements

A lot of White people have moved out of Van Nuys in recent decades, so it's pretty much another SoCal area on the decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 AM

4,266 posts, read 9,026,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav07 View Post
Hi, thanks for the responses.
I'm looking for a place in van Nuys because its the only area I can afford.
I will have to live there for a year or so because I will be going to LAVC.
I was looking for places to rent in Sherman Oaks but its a lot more expensive.
After that I'm going to try to transfer to Northridge, where I can stay at their student housing.
You should have posted this originally.

You have two options IMO.

One, rent a room or guest house in one of the larger homes in Valley Village, where LAVC is located. Most of these homes are on quiet tree line streets.

Two, rent an apartment anywhere withing a mile or two of the school. South of Burbank is best, south of Oxnard is ok, south of Victory is probably ok.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM

12 posts, read 109,334 times
I live in North Hollywood (Vanowen and Whitsett). While the rent is cheap, it is a not an area I would ever recommend. We have a gated apartment complex, which eases our worries slightly, but unless you have no other options, I would not move to this area (Van Nuys included). The noise pollution from the freeway is almost intolerable, there are homeless people wandering the alleyways at all hours of the night and my car was stolen (and thankfully recovered) less than a month ago. While I am comfortable walking around during the day, I would never go out alone after dark. I would stay closer to Burbank if at all possible. The rent may be slightly higher, but how much of a price can you put on your own safety?

Oh yes, and the "used condom" comments are not an exaggeration. I've seen them multiple times while jogging. Disgusting.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,230,471 times
Lake Balboa, even though we had a man critically shot down the street last night. Living in a safe city doesn't mean crime can't travel in.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:12 PM

10,954 posts, read 10,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Lake Balboa, even though we had a man critically shot down the street last night. Living in a safe city doesn't mean crime can't travel in.
Lake Balboa is just north of Woodley Park. When I used to shoot archery there I'd see gang bangers hanging out on my way to the range.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,200,281 times
The proclaimed nihilist checking in. I live in the historic zone of Van Nuys. We in the neighborhood watch try very hard to sweep back the ocean of crime, but so far it's still at least a liveable moderate-priced neighborhood. The housing is often pretty cool, retro with large lots. Yes the safety levels vary area by area, rather like Manhattan in the 1970's. It's just that none of us can afford Bel Air, and are trying to make do in personal efforts to keep our neighborhoods safer, quieter and more peaceful. Look at the banned topic thread for an explanation of sorts.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 AM

898 posts, read 1,357,203 times
You should be looking for apartments in North Hollywood/Valley Village along or near Chandler Blvd. between Coldwater Cyn and Lankershim Blvd. I would suggest driving down Chandler Blvd, Burbank and Magnolia between those two streets. You're likely to find something affordable on those streets and you'll have the orange line to take you to school and work within walking distance if you don't have a car. You're always more likely to find affordable apts. when you shop for them on foot since most places that are decently priced and still relatively safe and clean do not spend the outrageous price it takes to advertise.
That area also has a good mix of the citizenry and most likely will have some of your schoolmates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or