U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,967,637 times

Advertisements

Alittle perspective here:

What waitress ISN'T too good to be waiting on tables? It's a crappy job. I've been to Istanbul, London and Rome and they aren't any different. Money and comfort are part and parcel of every major city, as are noise and crowds. Where I live (Mt Washington/Highland Park, aka Eastside) reality usually trumps pretension. Maybe parts of the Westside are like that, but this is a HUGE city which people will never be able to fully explore (me included). And I have a decent job, certainly not rich, but I am able to live comfortably here.

And the LA Opera is awesome. They certainly take chances. I've been a few times, and I have friends who go season-round. And many of us don't drive much, preferring to live near transit. I don't usually go west of Hollywood because it means I have to drive to get there. It won't stop me from going, but it just makes it alittle easier if I take the subway.

And I've encountered homeless people for decades: downtown, Westside, city-wide. Never been accosted by one (that happened to me in San Diego and San Francisco, NOT Los Angeles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 PM

0 posts, read 1,415,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
thank you

Wow, you read my mind. I shouldn't be all that surprised, though, because I know for a fact that there are many people who feel the same way. "Burned out" on NYC is the right term. And it's really not NYC itself, because NY is a wonderful city, possibly the best in the world. It's the surge of transplants with crappy attitudes that has ruined it in the past decade+. The " infamous new york elitism" was always a stereotype and always had some basis in reality, because there were always many New Yorker with an elitist, uppity attitude about being New Yorkers (and believe me, I know, being a New Jerseyan, as we often caught the brunt of it). But coming from actual, real, native, lifelong New Yorkers it at least made some sense. And, as bad as they ever were, they were NEVER as bad as the transplants. Not even close. Furthermore, underneath their attitude, they knew the reality that "B&T" folks were essentially as much "locals" as they were.

Thanks for pointing out how there are still so many down-to-earth neighborhoods and suburbs in the NYC area with the REAL people who represent the area well. These days, such good people are relegated to being labeled "B&T trash" or whatever other condescending, smug characterizations by the idiots who move here, don a messy bedhead haircut and proclaim themselves "Real New Yorkers" because mommy and daddy are paying for their roach-infested East Village apartment while they take dog-walking jobs for beer money as they live out college life part deux.

It's interesting - I think there was a paradigm shift in which LA and NY switched roles. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, NYC - as you correctly pointed out earlier - had so many problems and was such a filthy, dangerous place. The transplants and majority of people who live there now probably wouldn't even believe how BAD NYC was. Outright horrible. Times Square was a pit of filth and danger, the exact opposite of what it has become.

By contrast, LA was THE place. It was Hollywood, which was not yet a drug-infested dump (and those days seem to be behind it now). It was the beach, palm trees, the entertainment center. Gangs were not the problem they became by the 90's. LA was the place people moved to. LA was full of transplants and the "hipsters" of the 70's and 80's, and they absorbed the uppity elitist attitude of that city's social climbers. NYers hated LA because of it, and that is the attitude that carries over till today. I remember as a kid watching Jack Nicholson (my fellow Jerseyan), the big Hollywood star, cheering on his Lakers, with all the other stars, in beautiful, sunny, wealthy LA as they'd beat up on the Knicks or Celtics or Sixers. TV shows of the time were CHiPS and Three's Company (which happen to be my favorites of all time) and Charlie's Angels and many others set in LA or Southern Cal. Ponch and Jack Tripper, with their respective bevies of hot women - that was LA. NYC tv shows were like Taxi or cop shows which showed grungy, dirty, filthy, industrial old settings, garbage on the streets, etc.; Latka and Alex from Taxi - that was NY.

In the 90's, NY got cleaned up while LA went down the tubes. LA's gang violence got to its worst point, Hollywood became a transvestite prostitution and drug-selling hellhole. Then there was Rodney King, and a couple earthquakes to give people more to bash about LA. LA's traffic got even worse. LA got a black eye, while NYC got a spit shine. Now you saw TV shows like Seinfeld pop up, along with Friends, Sex and the City, etc. which showcased the NEW NY. That's how I see it. And, of course, the transplants eschewed LA in favor of NYC.

At this point in time, LA is on the upswing, but the stigma is still with LA for having the "fake" people and for being "dirty" and "dangerous". At this point, I see LA making its comeback, and NY not going downhill either. Both will forge ahead well as the nation's two biggest cities. But LA is still overcoming their black eye from the 90's and most of the 2000's.

right! Unless he gets to live in and experience Queens or NJ, which is very do-able, but even then you wind up in Manhattan inevitably for much of what's going on.

LA is phenomenally interesting, and those who think it's shallow are ignorant. It's amazing. I will post a thread about my experience with discovering LA, so as not to bog down this thread any more.

That's like the people I have talked to in NY who say they went to or lived in LA and hated it "because there's no culture like there is in NYC". I ask them if they've been to the Getty, Getty Malibu, LACMA, Skillman, Huntington Library, Little Armenia, Thai Town, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, etc. Inevitably, the answer is "huh???" except for maybe the Getty. Many of them never even went to Griffith Park or Observatory. And these are the more touristy things to see!!! I didn't even get into the Valley or Glendale or Cerritos or Gardena, etc. Ignorant!!!

What can I say? AWESOME post!! thanks for the reps and likewise. But I do think we are approaching a point where LA and NY will for once be both perceived as the hot spots... I only shudder to think of the hipster jerks who will move to LA and ruin it. I know there are a handful of hipsters in Silver Lake/Los Feliz, but Williamsburg, in NY, on its own probably has 10x the amount of hipsters those areas have, and that's not counting NYC's east village/LES, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill, etc.

By the way, are you from Bergen County? Just from your screen name, I'm making a wild speculation

WOW - So much hipster bashing from the B&T Crowd yet again. I am originally from W. LA (Brentwood) but thankfully moved to NYC about a year ago and I've noticed such a sense of animosity towards "transplant hipsters" and it usually comes from the B&Ters. I never ever thought of myself as a "hipster" until I moved to New York City and was labeled as such so I'll take it. Apparently a young person from a privileged background who wears skinny jeans/iconic t-shirts/fedoras and raises property values = automatically a hipster.

Look, if the inhabitants of Manhattan and NW Brooklyn bother you so much stay in Jersey. The New York City region is a massive region and I'm sure you could easily avoid Manhattan and find bars/clubs that suit your taste in Hoboken or somewhere. You find hipsters are annoying? There is nothing as annoying as my neighborhood (W Chelsea) right next to the Meatpacking District on an a weekend night when the Bridge and Tunnel crowd make their way into the city and overrun the place. It is truly a freak show.

Do hipsters go into New Jersey and scoff at the Guido youth in Jersey and tell you how to run things? No. Stay out of New York City if we bother you this much. It's not like any of us would be caught dead in Jersey.

XOXO,

Skinny Jeans/Iconic t-shirt wearing Hipster.

Last edited by Americanboy; 08-09-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 PM

0 posts, read 1,415,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninob1213 View Post
Whats up California? I always wanted to know do you residents think your home is portrayed in the right sense from Movies and TV? I want to go out there one day but I don't know what I'm in for. A few things I really want to know are as follows: how is the social interaction?, is life there like the movie Crash, ? When I say that I mean is there a strong prejudice between races? Also, Is it the gang culture prevalent to the point where you cant go into a 'hood without having problems or does that only apply to other gangstas and races that don't belong in that neighborhood which kind of coincides with the first question. And what about that hollywood- lifestyle that everyone seems to want to live. I'm not down with all that fake glitzy stuff, and I don't want to get in the entertainment industry. But I can't front, the allure of California's offerings have me strongly considering going to college there vs. Heading out to NYC which is always been a dream. So c'mon and give me the rundown.
Let me try this again.

1. Los Angeles is far more dangerous than New York City, but life isn't all gangsters and crime if you find a safer area.

2. Los Angeles isn't like the movies. It's actually gross, seedy and looks so sleazy. Cracked concrete, hideous spray painted freeways, endless sprawl, hideous stucco strip malls, little landscaping, orange air, ugly cityscape, ugly or nonexistent architecture. It looks nice from the sky on movies though. Most people who visit LA and envision it like on the movies are always very disappointed.

3. Los Angeles isn't racist...I'll give it that. It's actually a very liberal place. It's more classist.

4. Los Angeles is the poorest major metropolitan area in the United States (after SF, NYC, Washington DC, Chicago) so the vast majority of the flash is mostly fake and most people spend half of their paycheck to make the payments on their leased luxury car, clothing, etc and live in low-rent places. The vast majority of people in LA are normal and not superficial.

5. You're not in the entertainment industry so why would you move to LA? The only people going there nowadays are wannabe actors and illegals. Educated "Yuppie" professionals like NYC, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago. There isn't too much of that in LA.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 AM

75,072 posts, read 87,503,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninob1213 View Post
Whats up California? I always wanted to know do you residents think your home is portrayed in the right sense from Movies and TV? I want to go out there one day but I don't know what I'm in for. A few things I really want to know are as follows: how is the social interaction?, is life there like the movie Crash, ? When I say that I mean is there a strong prejudice between races? Also, Is it the gang culture prevalent to the point where you cant go into a 'hood without having problems or does that only apply to other gangstas and races that don't belong in that neighborhood which kind of coincides with the first question. And what about that hollywood- lifestyle that everyone seems to want to live. I'm not down with all that fake glitzy stuff, and I don't want to get in the entertainment industry. But I can't front, the allure of California's offerings have me strongly considering going to college there vs. Heading out to NYC which is always been a dream. So c'mon and give me the rundown.
movies are fiction, so take that for what it is worth. Fake, some areas of California are very fake, some just like anywhere else in the country: gangs, sure there are gangs, especially in Los Angeles, but this doesn't mean they are everywhere, anymore than they are everywhere in NYC, ATL, ABQ or anywhere else.

Could I ask why you want to go to SO Calif or NYC for college? Do you think you want to break into show business? If this is the case, stay where you are, get an education and see how you feel 4 or 5 years from now. If you just want the excitement of a big city, make sure you are prepared for the good as well as the bad.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 AM

635 posts, read 1,613,670 times
The best way to learn about a city is to visit. That is to drive around a one hour radius of the city, and in the city. Get a rental car and check everything out. Hit some tamale locations in East Los Angeles, some taco trucks in West Los Angeles, Chinese food in chinatown, go to In-N-Out about fifteen times. Go to Disneyland, go to all the beaches L.A. CO and Orange CO. Go visit Hollywood, go to a water park. Talk to people, learn about the huge diversity in Los Angeles. If your really adventurous go to T.J. park your car and walk over the border.

"Show me the money Jerry," ha that's what the movies intention is, not a real life portrayal of a city.

B.T.W. LOS ANGELES IS HUGE!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,967,637 times
Cool Back it up, or back it out.

1. More dangerous?

We didn't even make the top 10, according to the real estate bloggers:

Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America For 2008 : The Real Estate Bloggers

or Forbes Magazine from April, 2009:

America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

2. I admit L.A. has some pretty ugly areas, but to ignore the others ain't right. Specifically: Larchmont Village, Hancock Park, The Central Library, The Hollywood Bowl, The Bradbury Building, Ferndell (Griffith Park), The Observatory, et al. Hell, we've posted thousands of beautiful pictures RIGHT HERE that prove it ain't all stucco, stripmalls and crappy architecture.

And a friend from NYC has visited here many times and loves it. No disappointment from him. In fact, I count a native Long Islander, and another friend from the Bronx as die-hard Angelenos who love it here.

3. I won't say L.A. isn't racist, or classist. But that's not all there is to it.

4. As far as poverty:

Cleveland is No. 2 big city in annual poverty ranking - Metro - cleveland.com

L.A. not even mentioned. This is data from 2008. And it comes from Cleveland. I think they would LOVE to unload some bad stats our way if they could.

And yes, L.A. rates sixth BEHIND five other major cities on the 'misery index.' I'm not miserable, but the rank is there, so I'll cop to it.

As far as the leased luxury car to low-rent spectrum? Not even close to my gig. In fact, it's not even close to ANYONE I know. And thanks for giving alittle cred to us 'normal' people. Whatever the hell that means.

5. Best for last.

Not in the biz, not illegal (what a multipurpose scapegoat, even with the economy tanking- love it!). I'm hardly a yuppie, my education peaked at an AA degree and it took me awhile to squeeze the time in to get it. I'm 50 years old.

So where do I fit in 'your' L.A.? A deluded rube with the wool pulled so far over his eyes that he doesn't realize he's in hell?

Hardly. I love where I live: I love the access, the sites, the nightlife, my neighborhood, the whole gig. And I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49ers View Post
Let me try this again.

1. Los Angeles is far more dangerous than New York City, but life isn't all gangsters and crime if you find a safer area.

2. Los Angeles isn't like the movies. It's actually gross, seedy and looks so sleazy. Cracked concrete, hideous spray painted freeways, endless sprawl, hideous stucco strip malls, little landscaping, orange air, ugly cityscape, ugly or nonexistent architecture. It looks nice from the sky on movies though. Most people who visit LA and envision it like on the movies are always very disappointed.

3. Los Angeles isn't racist...I'll give it that. It's actually a very liberal place. It's more classist.

4. Los Angeles is the poorest major metropolitan area in the United States (after SF, NYC, Washington DC, Chicago) so the vast majority of the flash is mostly fake and most people spend half of their paycheck to make the payments on their leased luxury car, clothing, etc and live in low-rent places. The vast majority of people in LA are normal and not superficial.

5. You're not in the entertainment industry so why would you move to LA? The only people going there nowadays are wannabe actors and illegals. Educated "Yuppie" professionals like NYC, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago. There isn't too much of that in LA.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:07 AM

35 posts, read 162,245 times
Look, I lived in Los Angeles for many years (moving back in a few months) and can tell you that it is not for everyone. I saw many people come and go. My take is that you really have to love the city to want to stay. There are a lot of hastles (traffic, noise, people congestion to name a few), it is very expensive, and takes a lot (A LOT) to live well there. People who go there starry eyed wanting to live like a movie star with a beach house in Malibu tend to leave disappointed after a few years (if they last that long).

That said, what major city in this country isn't expensive these days and doesn't take a lot to make it? At least L.A. has near perfect weather almost all the time (it really is sunny pretty much every single day), and is culturally very rich. If you don't like being exposed to people of different races, cultures, ethnicities, lifestyles, etc., don't move there...you'll hate it. In my opinion, L.A.'s cultural wealth is what makes it a great city.

For those who are planning on starting a movie career, oh boy. I am the last person to dash anyone's dreams, but if you don't have any connections...in other words, if you're not friends with an A list actor or producer or don't at least have an "in," work on building your talent elsewhere first. Do community theater or try to get an independent film career going first. Any established actor will tell you this...not a good idea to go to L.A. for acting unless you already have work there. Okay, I digress a bit but the point is that Los Angeles can be a very lonely city if you have no family/friends and don't have work lined up.

Lastly, to the questions about depictions of L.A. on TV/movies, most are not representative of the city -- the city is just too big and complex to sum up on one TV show or movie. People who come to L.A. with the idea that the whole city is like an episode of 90210 are disappointed. Like any city, L.A. has its good and bad parts. Most folks who knock the city do so because they had unrealistic expectations to begin with. But go to Pacific Palisades or Malibu and then tell me that the city is disgusting...they are some of the most beautiful spots in the country, if not the world.

Like another poster said, it is a very good idea to spend some time in L.A. before deciding to move out...it will be a bit of a culture shock to most people regardless of where they are from in this country. Not a perfect city, but if you love a dry, sunny climate, love diversity, and are willing to work hard (just as you would have to do in NYC or other metropolis), it could very well be the city for you.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,975 times
BCJohnny: "What can I say? AWESOME post!! thanks for the reps and likewise. But I do think we are approaching a point where LA and NY will for once be both perceived as the hot spots... I only shudder to think of the hipster jerks who will move to LA and ruin it. I know there are a handful of hipsters in Silver Lake/Los Feliz, but Williamsburg, in NY, on its own probably has 10x the amount of hipsters those areas have, and that's not counting NYC's east village/LES, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill, etc."

The hipsters are well and alive in Los Angeles. Especially downtown. You see everyone in their fixies and skinny jeans on art walk.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM

25,739 posts, read 26,353,491 times
Oh, God. Forget it, just forget it. Those feeling superior for bashing NYC rather than L.A. really should consider how hypocritical that is. (slapping forehead)

Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM

25,739 posts, read 26,353,491 times
I also wanted to say that I lived in New Jersey for 38 years--specifically, in Bergen County for the majority of that time---and never heard of this "hipsters" thing as being a big deal to anybody. Who cares??? I think stuff like that says a lot more about people trying to put other people into boxes, but not really knowing the way of the world. I mean it's a little embarrassing even to read. Skinny jeans, horn rimmed glasses, an elitist attitude, vegetarian and a past homosexual experience? Dude, do NOT come to L.A. if that's the sort of stuff that sets you off.

To add to that: if you come to L.A. thinking your "I hate New York! What a cesspit" schtick will win you friends, news flash: I NEVER hear people out here bashing the east coast. You'll get a lot of funny looks and a lot of edging quietly away. Move somewhere because you love that place, not because you hate another place. It shows and it doesn't make you friends or help you fit in. Just a little piece of advice.

Last edited by JerZ; 08-14-2009 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles