Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:04 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times

Advertisements

I'd say the best thing to do is go visit for yourself. You're going to get, and have gotten, many different answers on here. Some people bashing LA, some people defending LA, and others who are in the middle.

In my opinion, no, it's not like on TV or in movies. Most TV shows and movies show LA as being a utopia. I love visiting California though. I visit my friends in Pasadena. I like it, but no, it's not like what you see on tv and such. Go to donwtown LA for example. A lot of movies make it seem like it's amazing, but in reality it's just like every other big city. There's some beautiful spots, just like the ones they show in cut-scenes on the shows like Laguna Beach and The Hills, but their are also some other spots that are gross.

The media kind of has a biasness on certain cities. California, especially LA, is shown as a perfect place to live with beautiful weather, beautiful people, and happiness from everyone. Cleveland on the other hand, is shown as a crap city with nothing going for it and everyone is depressed and the sun never shines. No, Cleveland can't compare to LA, but they do have things in common. Both cities have nasty looking parts, while other spots are beautiful looking. Both places have attractive and unattractive people. Both cities have happy people and depressed people.

The point is, visit for yourself and find out from your own eyes. Some people love LA, while others hate it. Too many people though assume the best and the worst due to what they hear or see. Really, to make a judgement, it's just better to go for yourself and see with your own eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
1. You graduated from a liberal arts school whose football team hasn’t won a game since the Reagan administration.

2. You frequently use the term ‘postmodern’ (or its commonly used variation ‘PoMo’) as an adjective, noun, and verb.

3. You carry a shoulder-strap messenger bag and have at one time or another worn a pair of horn-rimmed or Elvis Costello-tyle glasses.

4. You have refined taste and consider yourself exceptionally cultured, but have one pop vice (ElimiDATE, Quiet Riot, and Entertainment Weekly are popular ones) that helps to define you as well-rounded.

5.You have kissed someone of the same gender and often bring this up in casual conversation.

6. You spend much of your leisure time in bars and restaurants with monosyllabic names like Plant, Bound, and Shine.

7. You bought your dishes and a checkered tablecloth at a thrift shop to be kitschy, and often throw vegetarian dinner parties.

8. You have one Republican friend whom you always describe as being your ‘one Republican friend.’

9. You enjoy complaining about gentrification even though you are responsible for it yourself.

10. Your hair looks best unwashed and you position your head on your pillow at night in a way that will really maximize your cowlicks.

11. Your own records put out by Matador, DFA, Definitive Jux, Dischord, Warp, Thrill Jockey, Smells Like Records, and Drag City.”
I've never done this in my life, but I literally just registered an account to tell you that you sir are a g0ddammned genius. Every single line you just wrote is probably the most true thing I've ever read. Having lived in Baltimore right next door to MICA (Art School) that list just blew my mind with it's accuracy. Forget rep points man.. You need 10,000 life points.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCalifornian View Post
PS: And no, thousands of high-qualified, well-paid citizens are moving out, while millions of low-paid workers are moving in. If you want to move to California, better have a well-paid job because the taxes and prices for the same standard of living as e.g. in the South are way higher.

When I moved out of CA, I was between a rock & a hard spot to find a one way truck rental. I was told that not enough trucks were coming back. I had to use Penske & it cost me an arm, a leg & more.

However, it may take an Angeleno to appreciate Hollywood the way it really is. I know people abroad get that cute look on their faces when they imagine going to Hollywood... much like the look some people get when talking about NY.

I'm sure if you signed up for a nice "tour" you'd see a nice version. I certainly enjoyed the tours I've taken, in my short travelling experiences.

Kate, former Angeleno

Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Cops are absent on the freeways, so people go 100mph and shoot at each other and are not ticketed--yes, seriously. Image is priority here, bordering on pretentious, and shamefully ludicrous with some senior women tragically dressing like clown-inspired playboy bunnies.
The more civilized drivers throw their cute little h2o bottles instead of shooting a pistol... That really puts their point across.

Nice thing about the PNW is that cosmetic competition seems to only exist among the university crowd.

former LA fwy driver, Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles