U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 12:11 AM

237 posts, read 595,516 times

Advertisements

Even 25 years ago, parts of Hacienda Heights had it problems, especially the area at the 60 Hacienda Rd off ramp: several shootings there over the years, not just at the gas station there, but in the adjacent streets, as well. I did know someone who lived not too far from there (north of the 60), and it was OK, but that was then.

Today, it is worse, and it seems the local businesses cater to a lower-end crowd. I avoid that area whenever possible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 AM

17,444 posts, read 24,699,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The issue is the highly active Latino gangs in La Puente, Vallinda, Basset, and Baldwin Park.

Their issues spill over into Hacienda Heights, West Covina, and other nice Latino family oriented neighborhoods. IMO, San Gabriel Valley east of the 605 is poised to turn into something like SFV with still ok areas like WC and HH becoming more like Valley Glen and the south part of Van Nuys, the upscale areas in NE SGV being a outlying fortress like West Hills and woodland Hills, and Walnut/Rowland Heights/Diamond Bar being an Asian version of Sherman Oaks.
Does West Covina still have peckerwood/white power type gangs? They used to exist, and the only NLR I ever met was in West Covina (the brother of some chick I went out with once, needless to say I never had anything to do with her again when I found out about her brother being involved in racist activity - I have zero tolerance for that sort of thing).

The impression I've got of WC is that while gangs exist they're not really an issue.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
I am looking to move to Cali next month to work in City of Industry. I know some about the area, but it has been a few years since I was there. Is West Covina really getting bad? I was looking at moving there, Hacienda Heights, Diamond Bar, or Chino Hills. It will be just me for about 8 months (WM) my family is staying in Idaho but will be coming to visit often. Are these areas still OK?

Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 AM

99 posts, read 510,558 times
Default This isn't Detroit, people

Whenever a nice place has a predominance of non-whites, folks like to find its pitfalls. Whilst Hacienda isn't as exclusive as Diamond Bar or Walnut, it is a nice, suburban area. It's hardly La Puente or Compton. Nice, Brady Bunch homes with large custom homes on the hill. Hacienda Heights has one of the largest concentrations of middle-class Latino families in LA County. It has some marginal places but, on average, it's a nice area.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,258,356 times
Hacienda Heights isn't bad--and I think it's actually becoming a safer place to live due to the Asian-style development and Asian-style gentrification in Rowland Heights, which is right next door.

West Covina is definitely a busier city than before--and it just keeps on developing. West Covina seems to be in a transitional phase of becoming a bigger, more significant city--I think it will bounce back in terms of safety and education once it gets its stuff sorted out.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,392,430 times
I'd look at Walnut, Diamond Bar and Phillips Ranch. They are nice areas within a 30 minute commute of City of Industry during rush hour. I currently live in Chino Hills and it's nice but I see no reason to pick it over Diamond Bar and add another 15-30 minutes onto your commute. As far as the other areas go visit them in-person before you decide. I don't think they are unsafe but they definitely are not as nice as the others.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,398,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
YA RIGHT!!!!

yall make it seem like if its south central. these places have not deteriorated. they are still pretty nice reas to live in.

i would blame grafitti and vandalism on spoiled and privileged brats from the area with nothing better to do.

they are also the ones that like getting tattoos to look hard. but they stay out in the sticks. those kids dont come out to LA. the real LA. once they come down, some one will check them on their tatts.

poor misguided children of the suburbs...
Totally agree. You can spot them by the way and number of times they use the word "ghetto" without much thought.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM

2,431 posts, read 2,941,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't think you should trust anywhere in LA with the name "Heights" in it.
I heard that was also true for any area that ended with 'wood'. But I don't believe that either.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:44 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,812,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerr View Post
I am looking to move to Cali next month to work in City of Industry. I know some about the area, but it has been a few years since I was there. Is West Covina really getting bad? I was looking at moving there, Hacienda Heights, Diamond Bar, or Chino Hills. It will be just me for about 8 months (WM) my family is staying in Idaho but will be coming to visit often. Are these areas still OK?
Having worked in City of Industry while living in Diamond Bar, I'd definitely recommend DB. It used to take me about 15-20 minutes to get to work. The city is in a great school district, is very safe and has a lot of parks/recreation. Walnut is another good, nearby option. Chino Hills is very nice, but as the other poster mentioned, it would double your drive times to/from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or