Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times

Advertisements

I like Bratton but I also felt he was becoming too political. I am optimistic that his successor will look at the success Bratton had and continue in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
After instructing his cops to do nothing about what eventually became the '92 L.A. riots? I'll bet Reginald Denny's head would have fared better had some cops actually exited their cars that day.
EXACTLY. The LAPD did NOTHING during the riots.

L.A. would be a better place today if Parker, Gates' mentor, had never been chief. His preference for a small police force is the reason why L.A. is so underpoliced, and his militarization of policing, disdain for community relations, personal vendettas against his critics, abuses of power, etc. were what made the LAPD a pretty lousy department for years. It's safe to say many of Los Angeles' problems have their origin in Parker's policies while police chief. Not to mention his racial views (the reason why Tom Bradley left the LAPD to become a lawyer and then enter politics was because the LAPD under Parker wouldn't promote black officers). What Parker had in his favor was a great ability to manipulate the media ; who cared what the public thought when he had Jack Webb and the LA Times in his corner?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I like Bratton but I also felt he was becoming too political. I am optimistic that his successor will look at the success Bratton had and continue in that direction.
Might be a good idea to import someone else from the NYPD.

Unfortunately, due to L.A.'s flourishing "diversity industry" and the urge to appoint a female, a minority, or particularly a female minority, I fear that Tony might hire Heather Fong.....

Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
the retired SF chief? funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Might be a good idea to import someone else from the NYPD.

Unfortunately, due to L.A.'s flourishing "diversity industry" and the urge to appoint a female, a minority, or particularly a female minority, I fear that Tony might hire Heather Fong.....

Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the retired SF chief? funny.
I hope that Fong doesn't get hired in L.A. considering how crappy of a job she did in SF.

But given the state of the state and its political class there is no stupid decision made by government that would surprise me.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 PM

no i think shes done for good. i really think they are going to do it in house.
Quote:
I hope that Fong doesn't get hired in L.A. considering how crappy of a job she did in SF.

But given the state of the state and its political class there is no stupid decision made by government that would surprise me.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
did bratton bring any of his posse with him when he started here in LA? If so, maybe one of those guys could pick up where he is leaving off.

btw - 2,000 posts w00t!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
He allegedly reduced crime in this city (despite his not reintroducing CRASH), then after making his allegation known to the public, had a nice platform to shop around with in order to make more money in the private sector. Nevermind any obligation to fulfill the remaining 3 years of his term after this city was generous enough to employ him in the first place -- he got what he wanted and now it's time to leave -- to heck with us.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no i think shes done for good.
Hope so.

SFPD was the best police force on the West Coast for decades, and L.A. people always looked up to S.F. for having a much better force (part of the reason why gangs in SF didn't become as bad of a problem as in L.A. and also part of the reason why when the King riots spread to SF they were immediately suppressed). Not anymore.

I mentioned her replacement Gascon is ex-LAPD (he was an in house candidate to replace Parks). Time will tell if that's an improvement. From what I read about Gascon he did seem like one of the better people in LAPD. The other in house candidate to replace Parks, David Kalish, who would've been the first openly gay police chief in the US if he'd been chosen, also seemed like one of the better people, but his career was ended by a sex scandal and he was forced to retire.

Quote:
i really think they are going to do it in house.
Considering the record of all the chiefs who were promoted from within the LAPD that's not a good thing. Not that it's inconcievable that someone from in house would be bad, as there are good people within LAPD, but past chiefs from in house have had "issues", some more than others. Hopefully if it is someone from in house it's someone more in line with Bratton's way of doing things rather than the "old LAPD way".

Better to get a new chief from NYC imo.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM

ya the explorer allegations against kalish pushed him into early retirement. he had a good rapport with the community. aside from gascon (who is the new SF cheif) there are rumblings about J. Mcdonnell and Charles Beck. both long time LAPD, both in high ranking positions right under bratton.

they seem to be likely candidates, but who knows, they might take the search national.

only time will tell.

Quote:
Hope so.

SFPD was the best police force on the West Coast for decades, and L.A. people always looked up to S.F. for having a much better force (part of the reason why gangs in SF didn't become as bad of a problem as in L.A. and also part of the reason why when the King riots spread to SF they were immediately suppressed). Not anymore.

I mentioned her replacement Gascon is ex-LAPD (he was an in house candidate to replace Parks). Time will tell if that's an improvement. From what I read about Gascon he did seem like one of the better people in LAPD. The other in house candidate to replace Parks, David Kalish, who would've been the first openly gay police chief in the US if he'd been chosen, also seemed like one of the better people, but his career was ended by a sex scandal and he was forced to retire.

Considering the record of all the chiefs who were promoted from within the LAPD that's not a good thing. Not that it's inconcievable that someone from in house would be bad, as there are good people within LAPD, but past chiefs from in house have had "issues", some more than others. Hopefully if it is someone from in house it's someone more in line with Bratton's way of doing things rather than the "old LAPD way".

Better to get a new chief from NYC imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles