Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,965 times

Advertisements

Sorry about title, not really good with those. here is my story.

I currently live in Canada and I'm thinking of moving down to LA to possibly attend USC or preferably Caltech i understand that i will need to get accepted by either of the schools first then get a student visa to be able to actually move but i'm still not sure if i wanna do this or not... I'm mainly thinking of moving because of the better education that i will get(hopefully) and the end result which might be a good job opportunity and of-course cuz its LA d0h...

#) not sure if this question can be answered by this forum or not but I'm going to ask it anyway, i know that if I'm coming straight from high school i need to take the SAT s to be qualified to get in or not, but what im doing right now is attending a university and doing first year general engineering so my plan is just to simply transfer and specialize in a second year program, will this be possible? either way i will have to talk to USC or CALTECH about this... before anything.

1) is this a good idea? i mean is it really reasonable? meaning if lets say perhaps i just stick around and finish my degree here and move afterwords if that is even possible(work visa or something?) ?

2) what kinda of money will i need to get me settle at the start and perhaps what is the ideal amount that i will need per year for school?

3) will rent be an issue, i would probably want something close to the school but of course something that's is ideal for its location and its cost. i'm not really a dorms person but if i have it then i must.

4) anything else i need to consider or worry about? i just feel like i need to know everything before i do anything... i don't wanna just move and get stuck or face issues that i don't know about.

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,660,945 times
These are almost all issues that you're going to need addressed directly by the schools. Some of it - requirement for transfer students, for example - should be readily available on their website.

If you want to live in California I think you're currently far more likely to be able to do it as a student than you would be as a new graduate. Your plan sounds reasonable, assuming you can get in and afford it. You'll also make contacts, can do some internships while a student, and generally possibly network your way into a US-based job post-college.

USC has a lot of student housing nearby, and students live in a lot of other areas as well. Caltech is located in Pasadena, and sort of straddles an area which on one side has very expensive homes and the other has a bigger mix, including some relatively affordable student options. Either way I would think (but don't know) that you could find something on your own (or with roommates) off-campus that is cheaper than the campus dorm options. As far as how much money you'll need for a year, that depends on a lot of factors; besides rent you'll need a security deposit for your apartment, some cheap furnishings (you can cut down on that if you get a roommate), money for food, health insurance, possibly a car and insurance (you can get by without a car, but if you do plan on keeping one you'll want to factor in all the related costs), etc.

A lot of international students attend USC and Caltech (and the other LA schools), including many Canadians. If you want to live in LA and if those schools are a good fit for your educational needs then by all means at least apply and see what happens. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,965 times
Thanks a lot for the info, i will defiantly apply and do some more research, i just needed a general thought if this is ideal or not and now i got it thanks a lot again. =D

Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,135,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4r1m View Post
..., i will defiantly apply ..
I sure hope you meant you will definitely apply.
Good luck and I hope you get here.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,773,227 times
Well, there is also the out of state tuition issue, which is abominably high.

Good luck, especially if you can get into Caltech. That is one darn great school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles